User Tag List

Trading Score
    99 (100%)

It isn't a secret that I have an issue with Zellers. I find they generally never take coupons, their customer service sucks, their prices ridiculous, and the fact their prices are always wrong and they don't abide by scop. Overall do not like shopping there., but once in a while if I'm out with my Mom she likes to go there and I'll go with her.

Such is the case as the other day. They had this awesome sale on VHS videos. I normally only buy DVD's BUT since I could get some VHS tapes for $1 each I thought, sweet...even if I only watch it once it's still cheaper than renting it. So I purchased Field of Dreams, 28 Days Later, Anchorman, Surviving Christmas and Rugrats Christmas. I'm sitting here tonight opening them from their packages and I open 28 Days Later to find a tag on the front of the video that says "Please be Kind Please Rewind", and a tag on the side stating what video store this is from in a 613 area code (note I live in the 905 area code and 613 would be ottawa area)

Now, I understand that I "only" paid $1 for this video, but there were NO signs that said these would be previously viewed items. Had there been a sign that stated that, I wouldn't feel like I was taken. Sorry, but you don't try to pass off previously viewed items as new items even if you are selling them for a bargain price. Further to that, what if I was going to give this as a gift to someone? Omg can you imagine when they open it up and find all of these tags on it? I'm going to take the movies back to Zellers for a refund. Yes, I got a great deal, but it's really the point. What kind of store trys to pass off Previously used items as new items at a bargain price? Oh wait, nevermind...Zellers.

It also makes me wonder what other "used" items they are hocking off as New. Argh.

*note* I am sending an email to Zellers Corporate as well.
    This thread is currently associated with: Zellers
    Last edited by TaraF; Wed, Feb 4th, 2009 at 09:29 PM.

James Emms
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

Wow - I've never heard of a large store like that selling anything used (aside from maybe future shop and used games)

It is sketchy that they sell them without saying anything, and they'll probably try to buy you off with a small giftcard!

- James Emms

Senior Canuck
    Trading Score
    59 (100%)

I've seen lots of VHS for $1 and DVDs for $4.99 or $6.99 at Zellers, but I never knew they were previously viewed, no tags or anything stating that!! Even the packagings are new so know would've known unless they actually purchase them? Even after they make a purchase, most people would probably just keep them rather than going through all the hassle to get a refund.

I would call the video rental store and let them know. They may not even be aware that this is happening!

Thanks for the heads up!

Trading Score
    99 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by daphne010180 View Post
    I've seen lots of VHS for $1 and DVDs for $4.99 or $6.99 at Zellers, but I never knew they were previously viewed, no tags or anything stating that!! Even the packagings are new so know would've known unless they actually purchase them? Even after they make a purchase, most people would probably just keep them rather than going through all the hassle to get a refund.

I would call the video rental store and let them know. They may not even be aware that this is happening!

Thanks for the heads up!
    Oh that's a great idea, thanks! I will contact the video store to see if they supply videos there, they may have a lawsuit on their hands if they don't! The funny thing is my Husband and I were looking through the bins and saw a plain black case with a white tag that says "Private" I joked and said "watch it be a o" he was like "In Zellers?" lol But it was packaged like you'd buy at the local sleazy shop...I should have bought it to see if I was right! lol

Admin
    Trading Score
    24 (100%)

Sometimes I've actually seen stores carrying used ones! I've actually seen the used previously viewed dvd's at Zellers for 6.99, crazy eh! A while back Zehrs has some too!!!!

Zellers sucks either way though.

Trading Score
    99 (100%)

Wow $6.99 for a used VHS? Rip off. Well there is a tag on the video with a website address. I went there, searched locally with my Postal Code to see what stores carried their used products and Zellers was not listed! Blockbuster, Jumbo Video, Rogers Video, Loblaws and Movie Gallery are listed, but no Zellers. Hrmmm interesting.

CaNewbie
    Trading Score
    4 (100%)

It could be from a Jumbo Video in the 613 area. A lot of Zellers stores used to have Jumbo videos attached to them and even inside the store.

I'm not saying it's right to sell them and not tell the customer that it is previously viewed, just saying that is probably how they got them. If it is a Jumbo video (or a video rental place that was in Zellers back in the day) there is nothing wrong with them carrying the items for sale.

Trading Score
    99 (100%)

now.or.never, I have no problem with them carrying used videos, but if they are going to they should be clearly marked as such. If they aren't marked as such, in my opinion they are misrepresenting the item.

CaNewbie
    Trading Score
    4 (100%)

I didn't say that it wasn't misrepresentation or anything like that. They should be marked somewhere on the product or on the signage if they are previously viewed.

I know the ones at my store have it written on the package that they are previously viewed (they are the ones that are $0.99 or $1.00). It's in smaller print but it's there.

Boo Radley Conspirator roseofblack25's Avatar
    Trading Score
    4 (100%)

the 613 area code is also my area! thats very odd that they would do that and try to pass them off as new

Search and win with SWAGBUCKS!

Thread Information