User Tag List

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By dyalect

Thread: Anyone try IPTV?

Frosh Canuck
    Trading Score
    82 (100%)

Anyone been able to get rid of their cable and still get livetv?
    News and sports are my main concerns. everything else does not have to be live.

Please let me know good and bad experiences.
    This thread is currently associated with: N/A

Junior Canuck
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

I've been on Telus version of IPTV (Optik) for 3 years.... love it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dA1a4vSMMV0
    Last edited by xlxo; Mon, Oct 9th, 2017 at 01:54 AM.

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

Well I had, what is technically an IPTV service, (like xlxo's Optik, mentioned previously) but I ditched that because it was getting to be way too costly.
    However, i believe you're asking for web-service delivered IPTV services.

After not having any actual TV service since about April, I recently tried SETVNOW (.com) as a free trial.

It's not up to my usual standard of quality but it's better than most I've tried and it's above passable. It really depends on what you're watching, and the originating source I suppose. Not all stations behave the same. There are stations from all over the world on this thing in various languages to boot.

I'm running it on a Windows PC that I set up exclusively for media playback... I'm also on an exceptionally high-speed fiber connection. Everything else I play on my PC is perfectly fine (stored videos, youtube, etc) so it's certainly the SETVNOW's flowplayer interface that's the issue here.

Some channels freeze up while others are fine. Also, the frame-rate seems to drop noticeably when I go full screen... in some cases unbearable, and even losing audio/video sync.

Earlier this evening I was watching ABC, ESPN, HBO, and others without too many issues... but BBC America, FX, and Comedy Central (among others) froze and stammered too much for me to put up with.
    Who knows, tomorrow they might be fine. I plan to watch Monday Night Football on ESPN later tonight to see how that pans out.

Mind you there are also Android apps, and the like depending on your platform that may or may not be better than the PC app they provide... but that's what the 3-day free trial is good for, so you can try the various options at your disposal.

And they do NOT ask you for any payment info up front for your trial. I was impressed by that which is what got me to test it out in the first place.

Trading Score
    0 (0%)

I haven't had cable TV in over 20 years, no joke. Most of what I want to watch these days is online....including live TV.

CaLoonie
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

kodi or over the air antenna. huge savings.
    mulock likes this.

Easy Glider in London UK GoodBoy's Avatar
    Spreading my time between Canada and London UK - Love London UK!
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

Watch nothing but British tv. Online on laptop when not in UK.
    So much better than anything in North America.

Sent from my iPhone

Frosh Canuck
    Trading Score
    82 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by bhlombardy View Post
    Well I had, what is technically an IPTV service, (like xlxo's Optik, mentioned previously) but I ditched that because it was getting to be way too costly.
    However, i believe you're asking for web-service delivered IPTV services.

After not having any actual TV service since about April, I recently tried SETVNOW (.com) as a free trial.

It's not up to my usual standard of quality but it's better than most I've tried and it's above passable. It really depends on what you're watching, and the originating source I suppose. Not all stations behave the same. There are stations from all over the world on this thing in various languages to boot.

I'm running it on a Windows PC that I set up exclusively for media playback... I'm also on an exceptionally high-speed fiber connection. Everything else I play on my PC is perfectly fine (stored videos, youtube, etc) so it's certainly the SETVNOW's flowplayer interface that's the issue here.

Some channels freeze up while others are fine. Also, the frame-rate seems to drop noticeably when I go full screen... in some cases unbearable, and even losing audio/video sync.

Earlier this evening I was watching ABC, ESPN, HBO, and others without too many issues... but BBC America, FX, and Comedy Central (among others) froze and stammered too much for me to put up with.
    Who knows, tomorrow they might be fine. I plan to watch Monday Night Football on ESPN later tonight to see how that pans out.

Mind you there are also Android apps, and the like depending on your platform that may or may not be better than the PC app they provide... but that's what the 3-day free trial is good for, so you can try the various options at your disposal.

And they do NOT ask you for any payment info up front for your trial. I was impressed by that which is what got me to test it out in the first place.
    Yes this is what I was thinking about.
    Thanks

Thread Information