User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree21Likes

Thread: Anyone try IPTV?

Junior Canuck
    Trading Score
    82 (100%)

Anyone been able to get rid of their cable and still get livetv?
    News and sports are my main concerns. everything else does not have to be live.

Please let me know good and bad experiences.
    This thread is currently associated with: N/A

Junior Canuck
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

I've been on Telus version of IPTV (Optik) for 3 years.... love it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dA1a4vSMMV0
    Last edited by xlxo; Mon, Oct 9th, 2017 at 01:54 AM.

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

Well I had, what is technically an IPTV service, (like xlxo's Optik, mentioned previously) but I ditched that because it was getting to be way too costly.
    However, i believe you're asking for web-service delivered IPTV services.

After not having any actual TV service since about April, I recently tried SETVNOW (.com) as a free trial.

It's not up to my usual standard of quality but it's better than most I've tried and it's above passable. It really depends on what you're watching, and the originating source I suppose. Not all stations behave the same. There are stations from all over the world on this thing in various languages to boot.

I'm running it on a Windows PC that I set up exclusively for media playback... I'm also on an exceptionally high-speed fiber connection. Everything else I play on my PC is perfectly fine (stored videos, youtube, etc) so it's certainly the SETVNOW's flowplayer interface that's the issue here.

Some channels freeze up while others are fine. Also, the frame-rate seems to drop noticeably when I go full screen... in some cases unbearable, and even losing audio/video sync.

Earlier this evening I was watching ABC, ESPN, HBO, and others without too many issues... but BBC America, FX, and Comedy Central (among others) froze and stammered too much for me to put up with.
    Who knows, tomorrow they might be fine. I plan to watch Monday Night Football on ESPN later tonight to see how that pans out.

Mind you there are also Android apps, and the like depending on your platform that may or may not be better than the PC app they provide... but that's what the 3-day free trial is good for, so you can try the various options at your disposal.

And they do NOT ask you for any payment info up front for your trial. I was impressed by that which is what got me to test it out in the first place.

Trading Score
    0 (0%)

I haven't had cable TV in over 20 years, no joke. Most of what I want to watch these days is online....including live TV.

Frosh Canuck
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

kodi or over the air antenna. huge savings.
    ergo2 and mulock like this.

Who knows ... but I Would Rather Be Someone's Shot of Whiskey, Than Everyone's Cup of Tea
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

Watch nothing but British tv. Online on laptop when not in UK.
    So much better than anything in North America.

Sent from my iPhone

Junior Canuck
    Trading Score
    82 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by bhlombardy View Post
    Well I had, what is technically an IPTV service, (like xlxo's Optik, mentioned previously) but I ditched that because it was getting to be way too costly.

After not having any actual TV service since about April, I recently tried SETVNOW (.com) as a free trial.

It's not up to my usual standard of quality but it's better than most I've tried and it's above passable. It really depends on what you're watching, and the originating source I suppose. Not all stations behave the same. There are stations from all over the world on this thing in various languages to boot.

I'm running it on a Windows PC that I set up exclusively for media playback... I'm also on an exceptionally high-speed fiber connection. Everything else I play on my PC is perfectly fine (stored videos, youtube, etc) so it's certainly the SETVNOW's flowplayer interface that's the issue here.

Some channels freeze up while others are fine. Also, the frame-rate seems to drop noticeably when I go full screen... in some cases unbearable, and even losing audio/video sync.

Earlier this evening I was watching ABC, ESPN, HBO, and others without too many issues... but BBC America, FX, and Comedy Central (among others) froze and stammered too much for me to put up with.
    Who knows, tomorrow they might be fine. I plan to watch Monday Night Football on ESPN later tonight to see how that pans out.

Mind you there are also Android apps, and the like depending on your platform that may or may not be better than the PC app they provide... but that's what the 3-day free trial is good for, so you can try the various options at your disposal.

And they do NOT ask you for any payment info up front for your trial. I was impressed by that which is what got me to test it out in the first place.
    Yes this is what I was thinking about.
    Thanks

CaNewbie
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

look into a mag254 box and pay low monthly fees to have all the channels. including ppv

CaNewbie
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

Quote Originally Posted by bhlombardy View Post

I'm using them as well and you're right up and down on the channels but hey for $20 what do you expect, right . I find the support is by far the worse with Setvnow . Also they seem to have more than one website or at least this is what I believe, there setvnow.com, setvnow.net and what I believe they're is simply-tv.com because when you look at the info data its what is being shown. I don't think IPTV are there yet because they're basically all the same here and there . I also know about Gears tv which is $15 .... These I haven't try yet modbro and popcorn-time.to

Trading Score
    0 (0%)

So, SETVNOW is your option. How much it will charge once the free trial is over?

Banned
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

I tried and I really like it
    Last edited by natalieroi; Sat, Sep 22nd, 2018 at 04:48 AM.
    dededi and abcallahan like this.

CaNewbie
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

You can get IPTV channels using something as simple as an M3U playlist found online and VLC. Kodi is also a good option, but most of the addons are hit or miss whether they'll work or not tomorrow. You can use the built-in Kodi playlist player (Simple CLient?) if you know where to get a decent playlist. This Use M3U playlists in Kodi article teaches how to turn the IPTV client on and use it. There is also a large list of free playlists for movies and live TV at this Fluxus IPTV channels article. Those M3U playlists can be opened in VLC and many other apps for anyone not wanting to mess around with Kodi.

dededi likes this.

Trading Score
    0 (0%)

I like JioTV app for watching sports and movies. It's rather simple in use and its speed is not lower than when you use IPTV. You can read about all its features in this article. The main thing is that almost every TV show there is available in HD quality - good enough to be satisfied with the picture.
    dededi likes this.

CaNewbie
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

Quote Originally Posted by myintuition View Post
    Anyone been able to get rid of their cable and still get livetv?
    News and sports are my main concerns. everything else does not have to be live.

Please let me know good and bad experiences.
    Hi, you can always use free websites that offer m3u playlists for free download. there are a lot of sites some of them are rubish while others are really good. I am not using IPTV as the main source to watch TV channels but I use it when I need to watch sports events. so we have the same interests. technicalforweb.com updates iptv files every 48 hours, as been written by its admin. But sometimes they don't update the files for a while. try it anyway. There a great number of website that do the same thing.
    Good luck!
    mulock and ganeshkumar like this.

CaNewbie
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

Quote Originally Posted by britiny02 View Post
    anyone tried sportz tv yet? Couldn't find enough user reviews. I read about it here - https://www.firesticktricks.com/sportz-tv-iptv.html

Though it looks promising, I would love to hear actual user reviews before spending my $14
    I haven't heard about them and personally I wouldn't go for any iptv that does provide a trail. I been using a different iptv for over a year now and I can't complain
    dededi and britiny02 like this.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information