• 2 Post By bhlombardy
  • 1 Post By bhlombardy
  • 1 Post By dude905

Thread: Speakout- sim card question.

Senior Canuck
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

Expired on: Fri, Oct 4th, 2019
    Several years ago I purchased the 3-in-1. Currently have MICRO size. But now I got a new phone that requires NANO size.

What do I do? The sim card usually has a cut out to cut out a smaller size(nano) but I do not see it.

How do I get a nano sim card with my micro, while keeping my phone number? I feel like they need to send me a new sim(nano)?

/Is there a physical location where I could go to resolve this? I don't wan't someone just cutting into it. I'm afraid of damage. It's my phone number! I do not want to change.

-TY
    This thread is currently associated with: N/A
    Last edited by JDI007; Mon, Aug 26th, 2019 at 06:06 PM.
    ROMEO and Ciel like this.

Canadian Guru
    Trading Score
    65 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by JDI007 View Post
    Several years ago I purchased the 3-in-1. Currently have MICRO size. But now I got a new phone that requires NANO size.

What do I do? The sim card usually has a cut out to cut out a smaller size(nano) but I do not see it.

How do I get a nano sim card with my micro, while keeping my phone number? I feel like they need to send me a new sim(nano)?

/Is there a physical location where I could go to resolve this? I don't wan't someone just cutting into it. I'm afraid of damage. It's my phone number! I do not want to change.

-TY
    My DH is with Fido and he needed one a while back and he went inton one of the stores in the Mall and the rep transfer all his info on the new sim so his Phone No was the same
    Ciel likes this.

CaNewbie
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

You can cut it to nano size here is the Google link: google.com/search?q=make+nano+sim+card+from+a+micro+sim+card& oq=make+nano+sim+card+from+a+micro+sim+card

You can also get a new sim card and just transfer number to new sim card using online (they should have the option to change sim keeping number)

Sent from my SM-G950W using Tapatalk

Senior Canuck
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

I'm nervous about cutting it/may cause damage. I would prefer to get a new sim(nano) but I don't think SpeakOut sells nano ONLY sim cards? or any other company.
    I'v only seen the 3-in-1. Everyone sells 3-in-1?

So everyone cuts theirs?
    Last edited by JDI007; Tue, Aug 27th, 2019 at 12:17 PM.

CaNewbie
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

Are the sim cards free? If so get a few and use to test cut. Or go to a place that can cut yours to nano size. Or got old gift cards around? Use them to do test cuts. Once you got it right use the test cut that fits as a template to cut out your sim. Scared about how hard it is to cut use a Soldering Ironto melt the cut.

Sent from my SM-G950W using Tapatalk

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    1 (100%)

I'm nervous about cutting it/may cause damage. I would prefer to get a new sim(nano) but I don't think SpeakOut sells nano ONLY sim cards? or any other company.
    I'v only seen the 3-in-1. Everyone sells 3-in-1?

So everyone cuts theirs?
    If you want to keep your original sim card and have access to a shop/mall that sells mobiies, ask them if they will cut it for you...for free! (Ask NICELY, chat with them...some will do it for free, some will try to charge $10...find the person who will do it for cut it free. It literally takes seconds, and they have a "puncher"/tool that just snips off the edges to the size needed. A rep will do it if they're bored, or friendly...and, if they won't do it for free, just mention that xxxx store across the will do it, so why can't they since you're in the store now? Be polite...! If they still won't do it for free...try another store, or another day with a different rep...Best Buy has done cuts for free, though they initially say it'll cost $10) My brother cut his own sim down to nano size...it really was not difficult, just took some time because he was extra careful -- it was his first cutting attempt.

If you DO buy a 3-in-1 sim, it's actually better. You just punch out the size you need. KEEP the 3-in-1 frame...if you go to a different phone that uses a different sim size, you can put the nano back into the right size, and use it. the 3-in-1 sim usually has perforations/cut-outs...you don't need a knife to cut it down to size. (It's precut...just gently poke out the size you need). Taking a knife and gently tracing along the lines will make it easier to punch it out, but is not necessary. Just DO NOT scratch the metal of the sim.

Cheers! (Disclaimer: I have a bunch of sim cards of various sizes, an NO mobile plan...I just play around with them) ;-)
    Ciel likes this.
    Want to buy me a coffee? You can! But, you don't have to! In fact, I encourage you not to. ('Cuz postage is ridiculous). But, if you insist on it...well, you can drop a buck, or two, here: paypal.me/cyn88canada I emphasize, you do NOT have to -- a coffee icon tossed my way is gold. + =
    Illegitimi non carborundum!!

Senior Canuck
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

Quote Originally Posted by cyn88canada View Post
    If you want to keep your original sim card and have access to a shop/mall that sells mobiies, ask them if they will cut it for you...for free! (Ask NICELY, chat with them...some will do it for free, some will try to charge $10...find the person who will do it for cut it free. It literally takes seconds, and they have a "puncher"/tool that just snips off the edges to the size needed. A rep will do it if they're bored, or friendly...and, if they won't do it for free, just mention that xxxx store across the will do it, so why can't they since you're in the store now? Be polite...! If they still won't do it for free...try another store, or another day with a different rep...Best Buy has done cuts for free, though they initially say it'll cost $10) My brother cut his own sim down to nano size...it really was not difficult, just took some time because he was extra careful -- it was his first cutting attempt.

If you DO buy a 3-in-1 sim, it's actually better. You just punch out the size you need. KEEP the 3-in-1 frame...if you go to a different phone that uses a different sim size, you can put the nano back into the right size, and use it. the 3-in-1 sim usually has perforations/cut-outs...you don't need a knife to cut it down to size. (It's precut...just gently poke out the size you need). Taking a knife and gently tracing along the lines will make it easier to punch it out, but is not necessary. Just DO NOT scratch the metal of the sim.

Cheers! (Disclaimer: I have a bunch of sim cards of various sizes, an NO mobile plan...I just play around with them) ;-)
    I do have the 3-in-1 currently. The smallest cut out size I can get is Micro size. For nano I see no cut out. That's my concern.
    Ciel likes this.

Trading Score
    13 (100%)

How much is peace of mind worth to you? A reputable store will probably charge $10 max, and I'd expect a replacement if they somehow mess up. Free would be good of course, but on matter the cost, you might want to confirm they will replace the card if it doesn't work after they cut it.
    Ciel likes this.

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    4 (100%)

You could always youtub your model of sd and what you want to do with it
    Ciel likes this.

Senior Canuck
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

Do any mobile companies sell nano only sim cards? or do they only sell 3in1?
    Ciel likes this.

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    1 (100%)

I do have the 3-in-1 currently. The smallest cut out size I can get is Micro size. For nano I see no cut out. That's my concern.
    Oh, that's odd. The Koodo/Fido/Roam Mobility 3in1 sim cards I'm looking at right now have a nano cut out. The longest side of the sim practically shares the same edge for nano/micro. The side with the diagonal short cut...has about 2-3 mm between the nano and micro cut out. If you don't see this edge, I wonder if you have a 2in1 sim...

Anyway...are you using Speakout? Juuuust in case you are, and if you happen to need a $100 top up, you can get the 3in1 sim card free:

https://www.speakout7eleven.ca/sim-c...kout-3in1-card

https://www.speakout7eleven.ca/promotions/
    ...but, you'd have to act quickly. This promo ends Sep 3/19 according to the web site. I'm not sure this can be done at a 7/11 store, or not -- it seems to depend a bit on how the familiar the staff is with promos.

Otherwise, instead of cutting your current sim, you could buy a new one, $10, and transfer your info over.

I think most companies are sending out 3in1 cards...but, you need one for your current provider to keep your current plan!
    Ciel likes this.
    Want to buy me a coffee? You can! But, you don't have to! In fact, I encourage you not to. ('Cuz postage is ridiculous). But, if you insist on it...well, you can drop a buck, or two, here: paypal.me/cyn88canada I emphasize, you do NOT have to -- a coffee icon tossed my way is gold. + =
    Illegitimi non carborundum!!

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

The 3-in-1 has to have the nano size. There are only three sizes. Full/Standard, Micro, and Nano.
    if you have "3-in-1" then it must encompass all three sizes, including Nano.

Attachment 355103

If you can punch them out, then look at the edge that is closest to the contacts. (as pictured)

or maybe you are already at Nano and are confusing it with Micro (easy to do as they are quite close in size)
    Last edited by bhlombardy; Fri, Aug 30th, 2019 at 11:46 PM.
    cyn88canada and JDI007 like this.

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

Do any mobile companies sell nano only sim cards? or do they only sell 3in1?
    All of them have the 3-in-1 because they need to be ready for any device that you might bring yourself on a BYOD plan.
    I've yet to see any of them do JUST one size.
    JDI007 likes this.

CaNewbie
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

Quote Originally Posted by bhlombardy View Post
    All of them have the 3-in-1 because they need to be ready for any device that you might bring yourself on a BYOD plan.
    I've yet to see any of them do JUST one size.
    And, they just snap on and off for each
    dededi likes this.

Thread Information