User Tag List

Page 10 of 14 FirstFirst ... 8 9 10 11 12 ... LastLast
Like Tree210Likes

Thread: CoVid - Applying for the NEW emergency fund for laid off people & others.

Canadian Guru
    Trading Score
    46 (100%)

Students can apply for financial aid on Friday - CESB application portal opens on coming Friday, May 15.

princessjen and Ciel like this.

Trading Score
    0 (0%)

On Monday I checked the CRA website out for my next CERB period... I had a message saying that since I had tried the EI site first, I could only go through that process from now on. What a bummer! The CRA process is so simplified. So I had to go through all the two week periods back to March. I will definitely be paying back lots of money.
    Ciel and dededi like this.

Canadian Guru
    Trading Score
    46 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by padyofurniture View Post
    On Monday I checked the CRA website out for my next CERB period... I had a message saying that since I had tried the EI site first, I could only go through that process from now on. What a bummer! The CRA process is so simplified. So I had to go through all the two week periods back to March. I will definitely be paying back lots of money.
    Just do your 2 week reports every 2 weeks through the Service Canada - EI site and you will be fine.

Initially there was no link between the CRA and Service Canada site. You could apply through both and you ended up getting a double CERB payment each month.
    2,000 + 2,000 = 4,000.

They have just done this to prevent double dipping.

Don't worry if you are eligible and qualify, doesn't matter if you went through the easy CRA site or the more complicated 2 week reporting Service Canada EI site, you won't have to pay anything back.

On your own don't pay anything back. Wait till next year when you file your taxes - so March, 2021 or April, 2021. On their own CRA will tell you if you were eligible for a certain period or not.

There is and will NOT be any penalty even if you are not eligible for a certain payment. It's written in the legislation and the CERB law they passed in the parliament by Trudeau, even CRA and Service Canada can't do anything.

Worse comes to worse a $ 2,000 here or there you might have to pay back next year after you file your taxes.
    ROMEO and Ciel like this.

Canadian Guru
    Trading Score
    46 (100%)

Don't forget to apply for CESB if you're a student and eligible.

Portal should open at 6.00 AM EAT on CRA website. My Account.

Telephone application should also be there if you don't have a CRA- My Account.
    Ciel likes this.

Canadian Guru
    Trading Score
    46 (100%)

For students I don't think there is any specific day you have to apply on for CESB.

You can apply on any day for CESB irrespective of your DOB.
    Ciel likes this.

Canadian Guru
    Trading Score
    46 (100%)

A $300 increase in the Canada Child Benefit for May.
    Ciel likes this.

Canadian Guru
    Trading Score
    46 (100%)

Meanwhile, on top of the one-time May increase, Trudeau announced the maximum Canada Child Benefit will rise starting July 20: to $6,765 annually per child under age six and $5,708 from age six to 17.
    Purdee and Ciel like this.

Canadian Guru
    Trading Score
    46 (100%)

Lot of People will be in a similar situation as economy partially opens.

https://globalnews.ca/news/6930121/c...obs-lost-cerb/
    Ciel likes this.

I GOT GAME, DO YOU? gameprogirl's Avatar
    Trading Score
    15 (100%)

dededi likes this.
    Join Ebates for cashback on all purchases!
    http://www.ebates.ca/referrer?referrerid=Hm3B6tvDY78%3D

Trading Score
    12 (100%)

A friend in post-secondary applied for the Cdn Student Emerg. Benefit by phone last week and got her first payment this week.
    dededi likes this.
    2021-Bring on the sunshine, sweets & online shopping.

Canadian Guru
    Trading Score
    46 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by Ciel View Post
    A friend in post-secondary applied for the Cdn Student Emerg. Benefit by phone last week and got her first payment this week.
    Yes good for students.

Some students have never filed a tax return and don't even have a My CRA account, so phone application is good for them.

As I don't think you can have a My CRA Account unless you have filed at least one tax return. I believe the first return you ever file has to be the old fashioned mail in return, on from second return onwards you can file online returns.
    lilo0003 likes this.

Trading Score
    68 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by tjthemanto View Post
    Yes good for students.

Some students have never filed a tax return and don't even have a My CRA account, so phone application is good for them.

As I don't think you can have a My CRA Account unless you have filed at least one tax return. I believe the first return you ever file has to be the old fashioned mail in return, on from second return onwards you can file online returns.
    This has certainly created a new life skill for some kids. My son on his own figured out how to create his CRA account and he finally set up the direct deposit. He also paid back the CERB because he did not meet the criteria of losing his job because of Covid. He had already quit because of school.
    dededi likes this.
    Friends don't let real friends pay full price.

Canadian Guru
    Trading Score
    46 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by lilo0003 View Post
    This has certainly created a new life skill for some kids. My son on his own figured out how to create his CRA account and he finally set up the direct deposit. He also paid back the CERB because he did not meet the criteria of losing his job because of Covid. He had already quit because of school.
    He can probably apply for the Canada Emergency Student Benefit (CESB), if he is eligible. Can also earn up to $ 1,000/monthly in a PT job in addition to CESB ($1,250)

Not much out there for students, or interns or new grads. Probably at least till the end of the year, as even unemployed adults will be competing for jobs generally done by students, when the economy opens.

I can see adults doing 2-3 jobs just to make ends meet, when the economy opens.
    lilo0003 likes this.

Trading Score
    68 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by tjthemanto View Post
    He can probably apply for the Canada Emergency Student Benefit (CESB), if he is eligible. Can also earn up to $ 1,000/monthly in a PT job in addition to CESB ($1,250)

Not much out there for students, or interns or new grads. Probably at least till the end of the year, as even unemployed adults will be competing for jobs generally done by students, when the economy opens.

I can see adults doing 2-3 jobs just to make ends meet, when the economy opens.
    He did qualify for the student benefit. He is supposed to be on a work coop until Christmas but there is not a lot of opportunity now. He is lucky and he knows this because he lives at home and his only expense is his car insurance. He says lots of classmates are struggling, since he on,y finish last week we are letting him take a break. But he has been looking and may still get work as he is studying HVAC. And since summer hit Ontario things will pick up on the AC side.
    dededi likes this.
    Friends don't let real friends pay full price.

Canadian Guru
    Trading Score
    46 (100%)

So far as of June 2 - these many people have applied and this much money disbursed.

https://www.canada.ca/en/services/be...ms-report.html

Page 10 of 14 FirstFirst ... 8 9 10 11 12 ... LastLast

Thread Information