• 5 Post By Purdee
  • 4 Post By coupon girl
  • 2 Post By HermanH
  • 1 Post By Ciel21

Thread: Thrift stores don't have changerooms anymore

CaLoonie
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

I love thrift shopping - it's affordable, eco-friendly, and I like a good treasure hunt - but lately I've been frustrated by the fact that many thrift stores don't have changerooms anymore. What kind of clothing store doesn't have changerooms?! It is so difficult to buy pants in particular without trying them on. I have tried stuff on over my clothes, but it is not as good as effective, and frankly, it's kind of degrading.

Value Village and Salvation Army thrift stores haven't had changerooms since the pandemic (at least in Toronto). I emailed Value Village a while ago to ask if they would be re-opened, and was told they will not (to prevent theft and give more room for merchandise). This decision seems to completely ignore customer needs.

I might be ok without changerooms if there was a decent return policy, but Value Village (I'm not sure about the SA) doesn't allow you to return clothing, and having to exchange the clothing I don't want and find something I do want of a similar value is too much of a hassle to bother with.

So I've been checking out other thrift stores lately. Unfortunately, I've had to go farther to find them, but I have been happy to find some great stores that do have changerooms. Shoutout to National Thrift, Talize, and Vintage Depot!
    This thread is currently associated with: Value Village

Mastermind
    Trading Score
    277 (100%)

This is why i havent bought clothing in value village since they took out the changerooms .Talize is for me for clothing.
    cath007, HermanH and Ciel21 like this.

Trading Score
    40 (98%)

Wow....It's been a long time since I did go to VV and trift stores but if this is the case in QC too...I will not go..that is not fair..
    Ciel21 likes this.
    The goal is to live day by day not to much thinking hahaha !!!!
    I love to save money!!! Frugal life hahaah !!!

Trading Score
    0 (0%)

I'll pop into the Burlington Salvation Army Thrift Store (to see if there are change rooms) this week when I go to a baby gear retailer in the same plaza.

I too like a changeroom when trying on clothes from brands I don't usually buy esp. pants! Since pants are hard to fit, I won't be stripping down in store without a changeroom.

While I have been near Talize in Hamilton on two recent trips, I have not found anything to make me go into the changeroom this year. I usually want 2-3 items to make the effort.
    "This is the Way." The Mandalorian

Trading Score
    40 (98%)

I am super pissed and frustrated..my father and I went to Value Village this afternoon...He needed new clothes...Wow super expensive even with his 30% off for senior day today no change rooms anymore and only self checkout now...How are we suppose to know if a clothe fit or no..what a hassle.....I was super deceived and wont return....Per chance he tried at home and everything fit...I dont like Value Village anymore...We will go in trift store for the future..more affortable and they have changerooms at least...
    Last edited by cath007; Tue, May 2nd, 2023 at 07:41 PM.
    The goal is to live day by day not to much thinking hahaha !!!!
    I love to save money!!! Frugal life hahaah !!!

Trading Score
    124 (100%)

Not only do value village have no change room. They have all self check out stations. I had to exchange an item. The cashier had me scan the new items. Then she called the manager over to inspect then did her manager thing for the exchange.
    I needed shorts for my 7 yrs old and they were all $5.99. Went to Goodwill and they were $2.50/item or $12/10 items. Costco currently have puma brand set of 2 shorts and 2 shirts for $20 so about $5/item and still cheaper than value village.

Mastermind
    Trading Score
    277 (100%)

cath-i totally agree with you ,i really dont care to go into value village anymore because of the change rooms not being in their stores.Also the prices have gone up at thrift stores so maybe i am trying to buy new items.
    walkonby, cath007, HermanH and 1 others like this.

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

Quote Originally Posted by coupon girl View Post
    i really dont care to go into value village anymore because of the change rooms not being in their stores
    Be sure to tell them why you no longer visit.
    coupon girl and Ciel21 like this.
    My food may not befit a king, but I eat like a horse.

Trading Score
    0 (0%)

The Salvation Army thrift store in Burlington did not have any visible change area on my April visit. It might be an issue for trying fitted items that need a tryon but I'm sure there will be people stripping down to try pants and such in-store. Some items may not sell due to lack of fitting rooms.

Agree about the general uptick in thrift store prices going up!
    cath007 likes this.
    "This is the Way." The Mandalorian

Thread Information