User Tag List

jnazurk
    Trading Score
    132 (100%)

Hi, I had HELLP over a year ago with my DD. Just thought I'd post the question since there is not a lot of support/questions/answers out there.

HELLP syndrome is a group of symptoms that occur in pregnant women who have:

• H -- hemolysis (the breakdown of red blood cells)
    • EL -- elevated liver enzymes
    • LP -- low platelet count

Usually occurs before 37 week mark and there can be issues with the baby due to early arrival, as the only cure is to get the baby out.

Just looking to extend support, it can be very devastating.
    This thread is currently associated with: N/A

Trading Score
    66 (100%)

I am very curious to find out how this came up for you. Was it a symptom that you had diagnosed or was it just a routine test the DR did? I've already tested positive for pre-term labour & my iron is low. I'm going to have my gestational diabetes tested this week but I have never hear of HELLP. Thanks in advance for any more information.
    Zia_Stephie really wants you as my swagbucks referral...PM me and I'll send you the link. Thanks!

jnazurk
    Trading Score
    132 (100%)

My story goes like this:
    I got to week 39. I started to get a tightness starting all the way across my chest, it would rise up through my shoulders and out my arms. It felt like I needed a good stretch, but could never get it. I called the health line here. She said its probably gas, if it doesn't pass in 4 hours, go to an er. I ate some tums, it eventually went away within the four hour mark. Got it again the next morning. It went away again.
    Couple days later, I was feeling crummy all over and that pain came back. They hooked me up to machines and I was having contractions. Told them about the pain, they took pee but no blood (this was the first mistake). Sent me to er for EKG. Nothing showed, said that was all they could do since I was pregnant and if the symptoms stayed after I gave birth then they would go from there. Gave me a prescription for pain. I almost passed out in SDM getting it filled. I was having contractions but wasn't ready to go.
    Went to my regular doc the next day he said your body is just getting ready for labour. Did an ultrasound, as far as he could see I was fine.
    Couple days later, I start getting the chest/shoulder tightness again at 6:15 pm. Turns into an unmistakeable stabbing in my right shoulder. Tried to ride it out due to previous advice. Couldn't take it. Went to hospital When I got there, the maternity nurse could not believe they didn't do bloodwork. She did, and when the results came back she said Call the doc in ASAP. My platelets were in the 40s (supposed to be minimum 150, I believe). They had to cut the baby out. By then I obviously had trouble clotting. The placenta started to detach and they were delayed getting her out because they were trying to help me. She didn't get air for 2-3 minutes.
    They flew her out to the city for monitoring in case she had seizures. She was fine.
    Me, that's another story. HELLP patients get worse before they get better. All my veins collapsed and they couldn't find any more access points. I woke up to some poor kid digging in my veins. He gave up after a couple of hours. Once they got a vein they would attach 4 portals because of the availability. I alao ended up getting flown to the nearest city Ended up with a bleed in my liver, breathing problems, nerve issues, low iron, 3 blood transfusions,countless X-rays, ultrasounds and one ctscan. Fun, fun, fun
    I was so sick I couldn't pick up or hold my baby. I couldn't sit up by myself. So weak . If I talked to much I couldn't stop coughing.

It's rare. The first sign for them is supposed to be a rise in blood pressure, but my pressure was always low-120/can't remember the bottom number and when it did go up-around week 38 it went to 140/whatever and then 145/whatever. When I asked about the increase they said they weren't concerned because that was still considered low but the city docs said it's not the number but the increased ratio that should have raised the .

So, long story short (and to answer your question) they won't catch it unless you show signs and they know what to look for. Bloodwrok is the final determiner But I do know if you get a stabbing in your shoulder, it's not good

Also, as bad as it was to get it, I'm very lucky I got it when I did because most women get it before 37 weeks and a lot of times the baby is premie and then passes or has difficulties. It's a crappy, crappy thing and they don't know why it happens or if it will again.

There really isn't a lot of info out there and that's why I wanted to post to see if anyone else had a story to share.

Thread Information