User Tag List

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Mrsjen

Thread: Growing Veggies at home

Trading Score
    23 (100%)

Hi. I just wrote a fun new blog post about growing veggies at home. In a frugal way no less. Thought some of you might get a kick out of it. http://www.mommyconnections.ca/st-al...ggies-at-home/

Anyone usually grow veggies in the summer?
    This thread is currently associated with: N/A
    mhk likes this.
    Connecting moms through modern Prenatal, Mom & Baby and Mom & Tot programs.

Www.mommyconnections.ca/Edmonton-West
    www.facebook.com/mommyconnections.edmontonwest

Rika
    Trading Score
    58 (100%)

great article... I am trying cucumbers started indoors about two weeks ago and peppers as well as one tomatoe in an upside down hanging thingy

Trading Score
    23 (100%)

Nice. I tried that upside down thngs one year and didn't get anything.... But I didn't really pay to much attention to it. Hopefully this year I can stick to it. Lol

Trading Score
    48 (100%)

Cucumbers don't really need to be started inside. I never had. We usually grow carrots, peas, beans, strawberries, rhubarb, blueberries, crab apples, saskatoons, blueberries, zhuchinni, currents (tough to deal with these little green bugs), hazel nuts, raspberries, just planted a bing cherry tree, Tomatoes, peppers, yellow beets, and greens

I think that is about it. I usually try to start tomatoes and peppers inside but forgot this year so will have to buy this year. I like to use organic heritage seeds so I get more variety and they have more taste than the kind of seeds or produce you buy in the store. I feel like I am carrying on a great tradition that is dying out.

Things that failed miserably are brocolli and pumpkins. They both kind of just rotted. Radishes grow like crazy but I am the only one who eats them. You can usually get two full sets during the season.

I hope this helps. By the way I live in a newer house so I don't have a large garden. We just planned our backyard as my husband did it.

My husband has also developed a love of canning and experimenting with zucchini recipes such as muffins and loafs.

We also use a water barrel and a compost bin to further save money. All of our gardens are only watered with water from the barrel.

Good luck. If you have any questions just ask.
    Last edited by alwaysdaddysgirl; Wed, May 9th, 2012 at 11:35 AM.

Trading Score
    48 (100%)

Before you plant them outside leave them outside so they get used to being outside. I wouldn't wait to long if you many seeds each container or all of your will be a big mess. I have already planted my seeds,

Frosh Canuck
    Trading Score
    11 (100%)

We currently grow lettuce,basil,thyme, and oregno as well as mini bell peppers(bought the wrong pkg by mistake!),tomatos(2 different kinds) and hot peppers(my husband loves his homemade hotsauce). we started with tomatos(4 different kinds & basil last yr) and have slowly started a couple of new types each yr. Unfortunatly I live in a 1 bdrm condo but the master bdrm is huge so i use that hubby is great with his hands so we got some growlights(from rona via airmiles redemption) and some free soil(walmart overages) and used leftover containers feta containers(i wrk as p/t server) we put the tomatos out last yr but this yr our balconies and outside is getting a makeover so i will only be started 2 tomatos i found lettuce the easiet to grow the hardest part of all of it is making sure to pollanate(if ur plants are indoor)

Rika
    Trading Score
    58 (100%)

wow great tips everyone... the tomato is doing great and the cucumbers look sad ... the peppers are doing the best ... now I just have to figure out when to put them outside

Trading Score
    23 (100%)

It's been 5 days and all my little lovelies are sproutinng. I will probably put them outside this week. Good advice about the putting them outside first. Thanks!

CaToonie
    Trading Score
    15 (100%)

Such a money saving technique

CaLoonie
    Trading Score
    18 (100%)

HI, I was just coming on to ask if anyone was gardening! Anyone intrested in trading seedlings or seeds? I have seeds for:
    bush beans, carrots (3 varieties), cucumber ( 2 kinds) ,onions (spanish) cantaloupe, pumpkin, tomatoes (LOT's of types, heirlooms, tiny and cooking, canning many) peas, yellow sweet peppers, spinach. I prob have some others as well, flowers (marigolds, sweet peas are all I have planted..)
    I am looking for Lettuce (any), beets, garlic, celery, cauliflower and anything else that you may have that is intresting! I love new veggies, mine are all pretty basic. I am northside but would love to meet up! Please feel free to PM me or leave a message on this thread, I will keep an eye on it.

Thanks!

CaLoonie
    Trading Score
    18 (100%)

Oh, I also have seedlings for pretty much everything on that list as well...been running a "grow-op" since first week of march...hehehe

Trading Score
    48 (100%)

I do have some extra seeds (not seedlings). I will go through mine. I have beans I know. Will check what else and post them.

I also have some crazy strawberry clumps. These are crazy heritage strawberrys. They are smaller berries and spread like wildfire. I was selling them on kijiji for $5 a shovel full which is usually about 4-5 plants. My strawberry planter 6ftx 2ft) is completely full from buying two plants from a little old ladies garden 2 years ago. I have already sold about 15 and could still sell some more. I will accept marigolds in exchange as well.
    Last edited by alwaysdaddysgirl; Sat, May 19th, 2012 at 03:07 PM.

Thread Information