User Tag List

Trading Score
    24 (100%)

I have a family pot-luck with weekend and I plan on making meatballs in the slow-cooker (cuts down on one less thing having to be heated in the cottage oven for a 30 person gathering). So I am looking for a sauce for meatballs that would be good for over rice. I have a recipe from my Mom for "tangy meatballs" but it has a lot of condiments in it that I don't have in the fridge and I hate having to go purchase a whole bunch of bottles that I will only use a third of.

So, who has an awesome meatball sauce recipe?
    This thread is currently associated with: N/A
    Blog. Open an account with Tangerine (formerly ING-Direct) using my Orange Key (40643422S1), deposit $100 and we both get $50! Offer is available until December 31st. Check here for more details.

Trading Score
    1 (100%)

hmmm.... personally I would probably just go honey and garlic style lol but mushroom sauce is good too! (or just add condensed mushroom soup and no water/milk, it's amazing over rice! Although really it depends on the seasonings in your meatballs as well. I know a lot of people like sweet and sour sauce on it but can't say I'm a fan.
    Even BBQ sauce would work, rice goes with just about anything.
    homemade BBQ sauce
    1 cup ketchup
    3/4 cup of brown sugar (or substitute 1/2 of it for honey since it's a natural sugar)
    1/3 cup of soya sauce
    1 to 2 teaspoons apple cider vinegar (optional, I usually use this sauce for pulled pork so I use it to add flavor and make the meat tender)
    a few drops of worcester sauce
    1-2 teaspoons of onion powder(or 1/4 cup finely chopped onions)
    1 teaspoon of chili powder

you may also add hot sauce, cayenne pepper or chili flakes if you like it spicy.

hope that helps

Trading Score
    0 (0%)

I agree with dawn_sweety, condensed mushroom soup is the easiest. The only thing that I would add is that I would stir in some plain yogurt, to taste, just before serving. It gives the sauce that little bit of extra "umpf" and tastes great with the rice.
    Last edited by Retiree; Fri, Jul 27th, 2012 at 05:55 PM.

Trading Score
    109 (100%)

It depends on what type of meatballs you have made. You could go for a nice teryaki sauce, or a pinapple sauce. If you don't want to be bothered with scratch made sauce, you could use the VH sauces from the jar, perhaps a nice honey garlic.
    We all need a little sunshine every now and then

Trading Score
    24 (100%)

I think I found a good recipe online with pineapple and peppers with a sweet and sour sauce from scratch.

Thanks for all the suggestions
    Blog. Open an account with Tangerine (formerly ING-Direct) using my Orange Key (40643422S1), deposit $100 and we both get $50! Offer is available until December 31st. Check here for more details.

Thread Information