User Tag List

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By MrsSunshine

Thread: What is going on with my laptop?

One Awesome Domestic Diva MrsSunshine's Avatar
    Trading Score
    88 (100%)

I have an HP that is almost 6 years old. knock on wood its still going. however today i noticed that there is a red X on my battery charging icon on the bottom of my screen. what does it mean? the computer is still running fine.
    This thread is currently associated with: N/A
    Be Strong
    Be True
    Be You.
    Simple as that!

CaLoonie
    Trading Score
    1 (100%)

It could mean your battery is shot, mine is too. I just use mine plugged in

One Awesome Domestic Diva MrsSunshine's Avatar
    Trading Score
    88 (100%)

thats what my son said. i never use it unplugged as the battery wont hold for more than 30 minutes on its own anymore. won't complain for as long as i've had this baby.
    Lisa39 likes this.
    Be Strong
    Be True
    Be You.
    Simple as that!

Trading Score
    109 (100%)

It means that your battery is not charging. Either, like stated above, the battery is done. The normal life of a laptop battery seems to be 2 to 4 years or approx 1200 charges. So looks like you're on borrowed time.

Having said that though, my last laptop was 7 years old and that happened to me, but it wasn't the battery, but the charger that was messed up. You could purchase a new charger and see if thats whats wrong, if not, return the charger. Same for a battery, make sure you keep the original packaging and receipt as you will know whether either of these things works within a few hours.

On the laptop (Sony) that I currently have, last year it wasn't charging, but it was my fault. I had tripped over the charging cord one to many times and I loosened the connection inside the computer. I had to send it in for repairs and it's great now.

I wish you luck in trying to fix it, we'd be sad if you didn't post for a while, not to mention the dreaded SC withdrawl you would have to face
    We all need a little sunshine every now and then

Rocky! Rocky! Rah Rah Rah c_mcarthur's Avatar
    Trading Score
    102 (100%)

my hp laptop battery crapped out after 2 years of useage, i just keep mine plugged in now, makes it easier.
    altho if your hp laptop is 6 years old, it probably is one of the ones with the recalled batteries.
    Mine's included in the recall as well, but i didnt know about it until way after the fact.
    I think it was HP batteries that were manufactured in 2006-2007 have this problem.

Thread Information