User Tag List

Trading Score
    94 (100%)

Hi!

Just had to vent a little. I went to Pharmaprix (Shoppers) in Montreal yesterday and the cashier refused a coupon because it was an english coupon!?! I asked her to call the manager and he said over the phone that they no longer accept english coupons because some cashiers don't understand english!!! WTH??? what are they supposed to do if they have to serve an english customer? I was so p** o** I left everything I was going to buy on the counter and left. I wrote an e-mail to the customers service and I hope they will get back to me soon! I'm pretty sure they can't refuse a coupon for that reason!
    This thread is currently associated with: Shoppers Drug Mart, Pharmaprix

Junior Canuck
    Trading Score
    14 (100%)

I am sure that they aren`t allowed to refuse a coupon for that reason. I`ll be interested to see what you hear back.

Trading Score
    94 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by Janey View Post
    I am sure that they aren`t allowed to refuse a coupon for that reason. I`ll be interested to see what you hear back.
    I'll let you know for sure!

CPNnewbie
    Trading Score
    4 (83%)

>_< does this goes against the fact this country is French and English bilingual? The last time I checked, English is one of the official languages in Canada, so anything printed in Canada, even in a majority French speaking area should be valid

Trading Score
    523 (100%)

This is a bilingual country, so it doesn't seem right for coupons to be refused just because they're not in the 'right' language. I've never had a problem redeeming French coupons, even though I live in a mostly English-speaking city - the cashiers have just looked at the coupon, checked that it was the right product and rung it through.

Did you ever hear anything back, Cady?

Trading Score
    0 (0%)

Only a fellow Quebecer really knows how you feel. It really isn't fun to live here anymore. You feel like telling the cashier to go learn some English. Was it a Save.ca coupon?

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    10 (100%)

what about the coupons in the Mtl gazette? i have had some problems her in the east end, but too bad if you don't read english. i translate it for them. Ask the manager "how do you know that I am not a mystery shopper?" see them freak out

Trading Score
    94 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by Capuccino View Post
    Was it a Save.ca coupon?
    yes it was a save.ca coupon

I finally got an answer from them. (a week ago...) they say they're sorry for the inconvience and added some points to my SDM card, but they don't answer my question at all. I asked them if it was really their policy to refuse english coupons. I guess I'll have to send them another e-mail!!

I had no problem using english coupons at another SDM so I guess it's just that store...

CaToonie
    Trading Score
    4 (100%)

wow definitely sounds like language politics on the part of the manager .... don't blame you for being mad! Best revenge is to take your business elsewhere.

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    57 (95%)

Wow, this is really unacceptable. I get this with french coupons aswell. Do they not realize Canada has 2 Major LANGUAGES?

CaNewbie
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

Canada does not really have 2 major languages. Can you seriously go to every store and find every employee that speaks both french and english? I highly doubt it.

I guarantee that cashier was dumped on the sales floor, and did not know what to do. (Yes it happens, not because we choose too, but we get short staffed and unfortunately cannot magically pull people out of bums to work for us)

I was in line at another shoppers, and I could tell by the cashiers nerves she was left by herself on her cash and was not confident. She got presented with coupons...and nearly went into cardiac arrest. So I guided her through the whole process, and she was relieved. It happens, sometimes the cashiers are left alone and their supervisors are stuck somewhere else.

I highly doubt the person on the phone was her manager. You should have asked to speak to the manager face to face. Managers will 99% of the time authorize stuff like that.

Thread Information