Like Tree3Likes
  • 2 Post By itchy54
  • 1 Post By Darth Penguin

Thread: Peoples trust gave my info away need help

emg
    Female
    Trading Score
    3 (100%)

Hello everyone, I just received a letter from people's trust telling me that their system got hacked and that my personal information may have been accessed by third parties. Anyone else going through this? They ensure me that the banking info was safe but really who cares about the banking info when your SIN is accessible to other people. I am so mad. I went to the police to file a police report, and called transunion and equifax to my credit account. Does people have additional advise? So disappointed that a company will take risks with other people's confidential info.
    Thanks In advance,
    This thread is currently associated with: N/A
    Thinking of opening an ING account use this number 35728975S1 and both of us get a $50!! dollar bonus.

Frosh Canuck
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

Firstly, People's did not give your information away, they were hacked. They are putting s on your account with both transunion and Equifax. Check out this thread from a Canadian money forum for some sage advise.
    http://canadianmoneyforum.com/showth...People-s-Trust
    Remember, your information is out there and likely been hacked before. Every bank, anywhere you work....lots of access for the criminals. the s on your accounts will mean that if you want to apply for credit (or anyone with your information) many hoops will have to be jumped through. you should request a copy of your credit from both agencies to check it out. Then make sure the s are really on your account.
    A police report? Chinese hackers were responsible and it could happen with any bank. What you need to do is call People's and talk with them, be proactive. They did nothing criminal.
    I also have a People's account and am waiting for my letter.
    Last edited by itchy54; Tue, Nov 5th, 2013 at 11:49 PM.
    mulock and Darth Penguin like this.

Frosh Canuck
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

hmmm, for some reason the word, and I will leave spaces, f l a g s is being changed in my post. Note that f l a g s are put on the accounts for security.

Sith Lady and Cool Kid Darth Penguin's Avatar
    Trading Score
    20 (100%)

ITA itchy54..

Hackers really don't give a Tinker's Cuss about our private data. IN fact Fox News Corp had it's nrews website hacked earlier today..

Unless (general) you can find a bank who doesn't use any form of computing then all the details that bank has about you is vunerable to being hacked. It's one of those sad but inevitable facts of living in an inter-connected world.
    kmiecp likes this.

Short answer : no Long answer : NOOOOOOOOOOO!

Welcome to the Penguinocracy..One Penguin, One vote..I am The Penguin..I have the One Vote

Sith Lady and Cool Kid Darth Penguin's Avatar
    Trading Score
    20 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by itchy54 View Post
    hmmm, for some reason the word, and I will leave spaces, f l a g s is being changed in my post. Note that f l a g s are put on the accounts for security.
    auto responce on the forum software due to a similar forum to this one.

Short answer : no Long answer : NOOOOOOOOOOO!

Welcome to the Penguinocracy..One Penguin, One vote..I am The Penguin..I have the One Vote

emg
    Female
    Trading Score
    3 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by itchy54 View Post
    Firstly, People's did not give your information away, they were hacked. They are putting s on your account with both transunion and Equifax. Check out this thread from a Canadian money forum for some sage advise.
    http://canadianmoneyforum.com/showth...People-s-Trust
    Remember, your information is out there and likely been hacked before. Every bank, anywhere you work....lots of access for the criminals. the s on your accounts will mean that if you want to apply for credit (or anyone with your information) many hoops will have to be jumped through. you should request a copy of your credit from both agencies to check it out. Then make sure the s are really on your account.
    A police report? Chinese hackers were responsible and it could happen with any bank. What you need to do is call People's and talk with them, be proactive. They did nothing criminal.
    I also have a People's account and am waiting for my letter.

Your identity can be used to request documents like a passport, or comit a crime. That is my beef with this. In my opinion they gave the information away because they failed (as they recognized) to store it properly and securely. Hackers are everywhere and this is just pure negligence.
    Thinking of opening an ING account use this number 35728975S1 and both of us get a $50!! dollar bonus.

CaNewbie
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

Quote Originally Posted by emg View Post
    Your identity can be used to request documents like a passport, or comit a crime. That is my beef with this. In my opinion they gave the information away because they failed (as they recognized) to store it properly and securely. Hackers are everywhere and this is just pure negligence.
    Absolutely true! SIN's of customers were not encrypted so this really bothered me because I think is a sign of incompetence at the fullest.

Trading Score
    0 (0%)

where did you get the SINs were not encrypted?
    Always have your stuff when you need it with @Dropbox. Get up to 18 GB in free online storage when you sign-up using this link -> http://db.tt/218DjYg

emg
    Female
    Trading Score
    3 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by aemi View Post
    where did you get the SINs were not encrypted?
    that is what the letter they sent out to affected costumer states. There was an article yesterday in the Toronto sun about this.

CaNewbie
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

Quote Originally Posted by emg View Post
    Hello everyone, I just received a letter from people's trust telling me that their system got hacked and that my personal information may have been accessed by third parties. Anyone else going through this? They ensure me that the banking info was safe but really who cares about the banking info when your SIN is accessible to other people. I am so mad. I went to the police to file a police report, and called transunion and equifax to my credit account. Does people have additional advise? So disappointed that a company will take risks with other people's confidential info.
    Thanks In advance,
    There is a class lawsuit now against Peoples Trust. See link below:

https://www.peoplestrustprivacyclassaction.com/

You can get in touch with the lawyers by filling up this contact form:

https://www.peoplestrustprivacyclassaction.com/ptc

Thread Information