User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree5Likes

Thread: Xbox one or PS4

Trading Score
    0 (0%)

I am thinking about getting the upcoming Xbox one because I hear it will be able to play games, watch netflix, skype, etc. a media hub of sorts. I am not sure if it can read blue rays disc though. I cut Rogers TV a while back and don't have Bell TV and mainly rely on antenna and internet for entertainment. I hear PS4 will have better hardware but I am not sure if it will have the netflix and messenging integration I am looking for. I am a casual gamer and want to get the combine media hub that Xbox seems to promise. But with the expected price to be $400 or more I am still not sure which is better to buy.
    This thread is currently associated with: Bell, Rogers (Plus)

Junior Canuck
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

i vote upgrade your computer.

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

At announcement here's how they compare with what you are seeking

First up: Blu-ray

The PS3 already has a Blu-ray drive and plays Blu-ray movies better than most other players out there. Sony has committed to maintain Blu-ray movie playback ont eh PS4

Xbox One will incorporate a Blu-ray drive. However, since announcement at E3 (and still holding their ground) - it will *NOT* include Blu-ray movie playback as an option. Some suspect Microsoft will sell an app or an add-on later on that will allow for it. But it will NOT play Blu-ray movies out of the box.

Second: Netflix

The PS3 and XB360 both already have Netflix on them. I can't imagine the next generation would omit it. However, additional costs may apply (see later)

Thirdly: Online Social integration

If you're looking for online social integration, both consoles are claiming to be strong in that regard.

As with Netflix, Facebook and Twitter as well as a web browser, and some email options are available on both consoles presently... and it's been announced that these services will be included and improved upon in the next gen consoles.

But here's the difference:

Lastly: Operating Costs

Both the PS4 and the Xbox One will be $400 retail at release in mid November. But consider the recurring costs in order to be online with one versus the other.

Xbox Live (their online access) is $25 per 3-months of Gold membership (or $60 for a year) - both paid in full, in advance. Their Gold membership is required for online game play and for most of the online integration you seek. ** By the way, you MUST have a Live membership in order to use Netflix on an XBOX console. So, on top of your $8/month Netflix membership, factor in another $8/month for Xbox Live on top of that.

Sony charges exactly $0 for you to be online and to use those same features and functions. You still have access to Netflix (you pay Netflix for your membership), Sony's own movie streaming and the entire Playstation Network, download options, and online games. Full access at no additional cost. -- (Yes, they DO have a premium service called Playstation Plus - which gives you free games weekly, and discounts on many titles -- but not having Plus doesn't restrict your ability to function online and play online games.)

Sony has committed in their E3 announcement to maintain this model ongoing with the PS3, the new PS4, Vita, and other mobile devices (one PlayStation Network account serves multiple devices).

-

All that being said, it's also about WHO you plan to be social with, and who plan to play games with. If you already have a group of friends who are going with one particular console this fall, then if you expect to play online with them, you might be leaning in that same direction.
    Last edited by bhlombardy; Sun, Sep 15th, 2013 at 04:04 AM.
    bigheadkids likes this.

Trading Score
    0 (0%)

Thanks for the replies, I guess there is actually 3 options Xbox One, PS4 and computer connected to the TV. Comparing Xbox one to PS4 sounds like PS4 might be a better deal consider ongoing cost after the initial purchase. I can't find a release date for it though. Upgrading my computer might be an option but it will be a little complicated for my young kids to use and play so I was considering something like the Xbox.

Junior Canuck
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

a lot of games now you can play with a wired xbox controller, if that helps with your kids not being able to figure out mouse+keyboard

CaNewbie
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

I am a firm supporter for the sony playstations. Cant wait till the ps4 comes out!

Junior Canuck
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

We have a ps3 and an xbox360 in our home. Both have their advantages and disadvantages however the major perk to the ps3 is that they do not charge for online play. I do not know if this free online play will still be available on the ps4 or if you will have to purchase a playstation plus membership. The playstation also plays both DVDs and Blurays perfectly. I will be purchasing one of the systems too but have not yet decided which. I am planning on buying on in December so I can get some info from those who purchased in November. I believe that the Xbox One will retail for $499 and the PS4 will be $399. Both of these systems seem suitable for what you seem to be needing one for. Games, Netflix, movies are available on both and I am pretty sure Skype is available for both too.

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

Quote Originally Posted by bigheadkids View Post
    Thanks for the replies, I guess there is actually 3 options Xbox One, PS4 and computer connected to the TV. Comparing Xbox one to PS4 sounds like PS4 might be a better deal consider ongoing cost after the initial purchase. I can't find a release date for it though. Upgrading my computer might be an option but it will be a little complicated for my young kids to use and play so I was considering something like the Xbox.
    The PS4 release date is Nov.15
    Xbox One is Nov.22

The demand for the PS4 is quite high and its being said that even preorders might not all be filled on release date. I suspect Microsofts strategy might be too pick up extra sales on those that the PS4 can't fill.
    Last edited by bhlombardy; Tue, Sep 17th, 2013 at 11:51 AM.

Trading Score
    10 (100%)

I would opt for a PC. Another thing about PC is that the games are much cheaper.
    Free video game trading at 99gamers! Please use my referral link
    http://99gamers.com/invite/Weeeooojr

Sith Lady and Cool Kid Darth Penguin's Avatar
    Trading Score
    20 (100%)

we downloaded Linux onto our PS3 which means we can't play the new gen BluRays..but having linux is fun..so I'm told..

Short answer : no Long answer : NOOOOOOOOOOO!

Welcome to the Penguinocracy..One Penguin, One vote..I am The Penguin..I have the One Vote

CaNewbie
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

Get the best alienware comp there is.

Trading Score
    10 (100%)

Get a Steambox (or regular PC) and put SteamOS on it.
    Free video game trading at 99gamers! Please use my referral link
    http://99gamers.com/invite/Weeeooojr

Trading Score
    0 (0%)

Go for Xbox and the price will we down because of charisma so wait for that.

Trading Score
    0 (0%)

PS4 is suppose to have a slight edge hardware wise but xbox has the better of the launch titles so far. I'd suggest waiting a few months in before making a decision and see what 1st party titles are available. A lot of people are opting for xbox because the live community has a much higher attachment rate than PSN. They both are pay now too so online gaming will be pay one way or the other. Personally I would stick with current gen but if you must, wait and see. They have the same cpu and gpu inside afaik, just different RAM configurations. Also they are not backward compatible to ps3 / xbox360.

CaNewbie
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

PS4 is more tend to the home-entertaining,all I know is that.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information