• 1 Post By jsmile
  • 2 Post By bbpp73
  • 3 Post By peachies
  • 1 Post By MapleLeaves

Thread: Question on returns @ SDM

Frosh Canuck
    Trading Score
    8 (100%)

I bought a few products during their bonus points (18500 points when $75+ spent) promotion, and found that one product is not suitable and I need to do an exchange for a different product.

I know that SDM doesn't have the exchange system, you'll have to return the product and repurchase the new product. But in this case I would be losing the bonus points in the first return transaction, right? Even if I repurchase a different product which costs more, their system wouldn't recognize it, right?

Any better way to do this without having to lose the bonus points?

TIA.
    This thread is currently associated with: Pharmaprix, Shoppers Drug Mart

Trading Score
    1 (100%)

Some people have said that their stores will let them do a no receipt return - this is your best option. In this scenario, the cashier (most likely a manager will be involved), will not use your receipt, and you'll get the product you want.

Shoppers does not have an exchange system - they enter it in as a return, and then you buy the new product. Your receipt will be scanned, so it's not like you can just refrain from giving them your Optimum card.

Whether you lose points or not depends on how much the product was. If, when you return the product, your total will drop below that $75 limit, you will lose all the bonus points (for example, if you spent $80 and the product you are returning is $15, it will take you below the $75 and you'll lose the bonus points).
    So it's up to you to decide if the return is worth losing all the bonus points if your store won't do a no receipt return.
    Anna Michele likes this.

CaNewbie
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

The points will only be deducted partially.

Frosh Canuck
    Trading Score
    8 (100%)

Really? I wonder if the points would only be deducted partially if purchase done on 20X day, but since this one is a spend $75+ and get 18500 points, it would be hard for them to do the calculation, no?

Trading Score
    167 (100%)

Its my understanding that you lose all the points if it brings your total below the amount required to earn the points. I've been wrong once before though.. ok ok.. maybe a few hundred thousand times.. I would go with the assumption that I'd lose the points.. if its worth returning in spite of that.. I'd go for it.. if not.. I'd use it as a gift.. or for some other purpose.. It also wouldn't hurt to speak to someone at your local store. If you go in person, explain the situation, see what they say.. or call 1-800-shoppers .. It can't hurt to ask
    Anna Michele and luckbealady like this.
    Be sure to click like and post a brag if you get the deal.. It makes my day!!! Flattery may just get you more deals

Be sure to double check your flyer, points and cashback offers~ YMMV

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    13 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by MapleLeaves View Post
    Really? I wonder if the points would only be deducted partially if purchase done on 20X day, but since this one is a spend $75+ and get 18500 points, it would be hard for them to do the calculation, no?
    No the machine will do the calculation automatically. 18500/$75.

@ OP: I think if the points were award at a later date then it may not affect your points when you do a return.

Trading Score
    1 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by MillieH View Post
    Its my understanding that you lose all the points if it brings your total below the amount required to earn the points. I've been wrong once before though.. ok ok.. maybe a few hundred thousand times.. I would go with the assumption that I'd lose the points.. if its worth returning in spite of that.. I'd go for it.. if not.. I'd use it as a gift.. or for some other purpose.. It also wouldn't hurt to speak to someone at your local store. If you go in person, explain the situation, see what they say.. or call 1-800-shoppers .. It can't hurt to ask
    This is also what I've heard - but I've been wrong before too. I've never tried a return that would affect my bonus.
    MillieH likes this.

CaNewbie
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

I remember I did this type of return 1-2 years ago, and only part of points were deducted.
    MillieH likes this.

Junior Canuck
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

If you do a return, can you tell us how it turned out?
    MillieH likes this.

CaNewbie
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

I purchased $75 and received 19250 pts on that day, return $16.99 product today and 4360 points were deducted.
    jsmile and MapleLeaves like this.

Frosh Canuck
    Trading Score
    8 (100%)

That's great info, thanks!

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    28 (100%)

I just did this a week ago during 18500 event. I bought goodnights and they rang up the wrong price and i didn't notice until i got to the car. I went back in and they adjusted the price. But, because they had to do a full return then repurchase i lost 6111 pts...I called HO as soon as I got home and within an hour the points were added back as he could see I repurchased the item. You will only lose partial points but you can get them back by calling HO. Good luck

Frosh Canuck
    Trading Score
    8 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by jsmile View Post
    If you do a return, can you tell us how it turned out?
    I did the return today and the points were prorated.
    jsmile likes this.

Thread Information