User Tag List

Page 2 of 31 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 12 ... LastLast
Like Tree101Likes

Thread: Ways to save money

Prue
    wow great tips everyone, thanks!

Trading Score
    0 (0%)

save up ur money in a high end interest rate savings account!!!
    i'm doing that with PC and i get like interest each month!!!
    that's like one free meal!
    hey what do you know?
    lucy16076 likes this.

Frosh Canuck
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

DUMPSTER DIVING. It may disgust you but I do it often (usually in the warmer seasons) I've found alot of great things. Including food. Before you get disgusted lemme explain.
    Wait for your grocery store to close, wait about a half an hour then open their dumpster. The food was just put their and its on top. I'm not talking about rotting cheese/meat But they HAVE to throw out produce, which is clearly edible if it was JUST in the store 30 minutes before. I've also found toys, electronics, etc.
    ~Everytime they put her down, she makes a fist and the tears roll down~

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

Um....A) Not safe with Sobeys. We throw out ROTTEN FOOD ONLY. If you dummpster dive us, you'll only get sick. Better to talk to a head of a department and talk them down. They have done that before.

B) ILLEGAL! It is still consitered the store's property until it's taken to the landfill. If you are caught, you might be charged with thieft. I know this as Westfall (the one I work at) has charged three people last year, and one last night.

Sorry to break your bubble... but I wouldn't reccommend touching it. If you are lucky, talk to someone in charge, not someone that rings in your order to discount items. I've had my supervisor tell me to move aside as she discounted a $10 ham 50% because they asked.
    lucy16076 likes this.
    Why should I stay? Why should I go? I'm no longer on here. I might ghost in once in a while. But don't bother talking to me, I'm not to stay. Sorry.

Frosh Canuck
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

It's only illegal if you break a lock, go behind a fence or beyond a "no trespassing" sign.
    ~Everytime they put her down, she makes a fist and the tears roll down~

Trading Score
    0 (0%)

Unplug all appliances that you will not use from the electrical socket!

Drink from a reusable water bottle instead of buying bottles of water.
    lucy16076 likes this.

bcteagirl
    I was just down in the laundry room, and was reminded of a few more things that helped (just tell me to scat if I am posting too much on this thread!):

Many times people throw out detergent boxes/containers that still have 2 or more loads in them! For the powder ones you just have to shake it out from the crevices in the bottom of the box.. For the liquid ones, pull out the pourer on top (that is why they could not get the rest out) and you will find there can be a suprising amount that was trapped in there! I have successfully gone a few weeks at a time without having to buy detergent that way.
    Also, lint plugs up the dryer and makes it less efficient.. at least with my laundry most lint comes off in the first 5-15minutes... If you can spare the time to quickly clean it out again, you may save yourself having to plug the machine twice.
    lucy16076 likes this.

Trading Score
    15 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by bcteagirl View Post
    I hadn't thought of the envelopes one! I recycle them, but now I can re-use and recycle!

People laugh at how much I double print stuff.. I save every paper... If there is a one sheet handout in class, they see it later with stuff printed on the other side
    When I was doing assignments in university, I did them on the back of posters from the bulletin boards. I just removed the expired announcements (e.g. beer party, etc.) and used the back to write on. They were 8-1/2 X 11 paper, and usually brightly coloured, so it made it easy to find the corrected assignment.

Trading Score
    15 (100%)

[quote=CanadaLovesFree;21970]-cut up envelopes (you recieve freebees in) and use them for grocery lists, notes-to-self----they are long and suitable for lists!

I also use my empty envelopes for grocery lists; the envelope pocket is handy for taking along coupons that I use on my shopping trip.
    Ami1984 likes this.

CaNewbie
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

-I think the best way to save money is to look at the grocery flyers online before getting groceries.
    -Price chopper often has quick sale friut for very cheap
    -A+P has big bags of buns for quick sale for a buck
    -If there are any Queens students you can print from the Math Help centre in Jeffrey Hall for free.

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

Freebies from a certain site
    lucy16076 likes this.
    Why should I stay? Why should I go? I'm no longer on here. I might ghost in once in a while. But don't bother talking to me, I'm not to stay. Sorry.

Trading Score
    0 (0%)

take the bus or walk dont' drive.
    it does a double duty: nurture our environment and save money on gas and getting mad due to road rage...wait that could be triple duty!!!!
    lucy16076 likes this.

Trading Score
    15 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by blistex View Post
    take the bus or walk dont' drive.
    it does a double duty: nurture our environment and save money on gas and getting mad due to road rage...wait that could be triple duty!!!!
    For those equipped with BMW (Bus-Metro(subway)-Walk), I posted a link for a government program to give a tax credit to anyone who buys transit passes, effective as of June 2006.

The post is in the "Travel Freebies" section. Sorry, I don't know how to link the other post to this one... (Help Julie!)

Trading Score
    6 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by alajen View Post
    For those equipped with BMW (Bus-Metro(subway)-Walk), I posted a link for a government program to give a tax credit to anyone who buys transit passes, effective as of June 2006.

The post is in the "Travel Freebies" section. Sorry, I don't know how to link the other post to this one... (Help Julie!)
    Do the rich guys with real BMWs get this credit too?

Julie Andrews
    Here's the link to the post in the travel freebies section
    http://www.forum.smartcanucks.ca/sho...4666#post24666

Page 2 of 31 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 12 ... LastLast

Thread Information