• 5 Post By SavvyLady
  • 1 Post By torontogal12
  • 3 Post By walkonby
  • 1 Post By amused

Thread: New manager is USELESS!

CaNewbie-Eager To Learn!
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

I work at one of the big 5 banks and recently our Branch Manager got a promotion to a much larger branch, good for her, she deserves it. But the reason she got the promotion to this bigger branch was because it isn't doing very well, they are the only branch in their district who aren't hitting their targets and I have no doubt my Branch Manager will be able to do amazing things there. My branch is hitting all targets and we are the highest in our district for NPS which is the scale used to measure customer service, our NPS is at 150% so, that says it all.

But the trade off is we get the bigger branch's old manager. Who obviously is the root of the problem at that branch. So now WE have to take him?
    - Old BM would celebrate a sale you made - New BM couldn't care less, and makes comments like "well you still need x more" or "well you had a bad week last week so"
    - Old BM would just help when there was a line up, take customer's to her office - New BM doesn't know how to use the computer system so he says "can I help anyone at the ATM?" and people get super offended, rightfully so, freaking take them to your office you idiot and HELP THEM! There goes our NPS score...
    - Old BM knew the answer to everything and if she didn't she would research it for you and teach it to you - New BM doesn't know anything, and doesn't care to learn anything

One of our employees stopped someone who tried to take out a $81,000 loan with fake ID. She stuck to her gut and got the customer to come back the next day and had it set up so police came and arrested this man who stole someone else's identity. New BM hasn't congratulated her or thanked her or anything. I sent out an email congratulation her and included the Regional Manager so he knows what a star she is.

New BM wasn't able to help a customer the other day who came up to him and said "can you help me since you're just staring out the window? I just need to reset the PIN on my debit card.." and he couldn't help her because he doesn't know how to do it on his computer, or maybe because he just doesn't care? I'm not sure because he started at this company as a teller, and how does a teller not know how to reset a PIN? UGH, that basically is the starting point of our frustration and it is things like this that happen multiples times a day that are just building up.
    BTW he is young like early 30s, and our old BM was 28. I feel this is sort of important as he isn't old and warn and grumpy, just useless.

I miss my old BM and I don't know how much longer I can stand this moron.
    This thread is currently associated with: N/A
    Last edited by Brooke_; Sun, Jun 1st, 2014 at 10:04 PM.

Canadian Guru
    Trading Score
    159 (100%)

in the workplace, there is very little worse than a manager who just doesn't care. If they don't care, how do they expect their staff to care? Sorry you are dealing with this junk. Might be worth requesting a transfer to be with your old manager.
    Insane, DaveP, ticul and 1 others like this.
    Apply every possible promo code to your cart, at every store that you visit (and get points for cash back on top of that?). It's sweet and easy with HONEY.

Always use Ebates and get cash back at over 600 online stores! Use this link to get $5, FREE

Trading Score
    70 (100%)

i'm surprised they would keep on someone who does soo poorly.. have you contacted their higher up? i get that a manager role is hard.. it's busy it's stressful but you do have to make an effort.. if you don't know how to do something you learn how to do it..and if you really don't want to be there.. start hunting for a new job
    ticul and torontogal12 like this.
    When life hands you Edward Cullen...throw him back and demand Eric Northman....

CaNewbie-Eager To Learn!
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

Midnightly, apparently he gets a lot of complaints from customers at his old branch so it is only a matter of time. Personally I am doing training right now and hope to transfer within the next three months so I am just trying to make it through. Some of my coworkers are going to talk to the Regional Manager sooner rather than later I hope, maybe open the door for us all to talk about it.

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    1 (100%)

Hi Brooke, you and your co- workers should talk to your old boss and mention your concerns, then you should talk to the higher ups and mention to them exactly the concerns you told us about. Explain why you think the other branch wasn't making their targets and wasn't doing well. Tell them your new branch manager needs training not just being transferred and tell them your old boss should do the training..she seemed amazing!! I know in this day and age everyone is afraid of losing their jobs and don't want to seem like there complaining, but upper management would love to hear from you..first make sure your new boss isn't the big bosses son ha,ha,ha!! Good luck!
    niro_anan, walkonby, emg and 2 others like this.

Canadian Guru
    Trading Score
    159 (100%)

Complaining about the manager like others suggested is a good idea. In a normal workplace (which it generally sounds like you have) this should help.

But in a crappy workplace, be prepared for the managers to stick together. I have dealt with a manager like this (I worked with managers from different departments). I complained several times about his bad attitude. Stuff like I need basic information from him in order to get a project done but he refuses to give the information, then says its because the project is not a priority. The project was for HIS department!! Then when you show him the finished project, he doesn't like it (good thing you didn't answer any questions about it! well you chose to not have any input)

Managers did nothing despite complaints from a few people, and all employees working with him were set up to do do a bad job because he didn't care enough to do basic things (just like your manager doesn't care enough to learn basic things on the computer)
    Last edited by torontogal12; Mon, Jun 2nd, 2014 at 08:48 AM.
    niro_anan likes this.
    Apply every possible promo code to your cart, at every store that you visit (and get points for cash back on top of that?). It's sweet and easy with HONEY.

Always use Ebates and get cash back at over 600 online stores! Use this link to get $5, FREE

no more door to door! :) walkonby's Avatar
    Trading Score
    24 (100%)

Brooke your title was very accurate from the contents of the post, my goodness, what DOES he do all day? I sure hope you get your transfer sooner rather than later.
    niro_anan, ticul and torontogal12 like this.

babies teach us acceptance

Canadian Guru
    Trading Score
    46 (100%)

I think he is just mad that he got a demotion.

Smaller branch often means a pay cut, mostly from the bonus point of view.

Lot of these manager's their base salary is not that great at retail level, most of their pay comes from bonuses, commissions etc for hitting the targets .

Just ignore him and if all of you get together, not much you can do.

Amused
    Trading Score
    3 (100%)

If performance drops ...the bosses, especially in a banking environment, are going to figure out where the problem is. Maybe this is his last chance. Or maybe ... Worst case scenario, he is a friend or relative of someone higher up and thats why he has been kept around. Personally I'd not say anything to colleagues or especially his superiors unless they ask for feedback. Ive seen complaints to a supervisor boss go well but also the supervisor/manager trying to use a set of employees as the problem. Maybe mention to the new boss that morale seems to be dipping in your opinion and it was use to be motivating to the group to celebrate new sales, etc.

But just my two cents ... Sounds like your employer is lucky to have someone so committed... Good luck
    DianneS likes this.

Thread Information