User Tag List

CaLoonie
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

So here we go. Anyone have a heat pump?

Looking to see how much it cost to install and buy If you know what model you have can you add that to the post. How much is saves you. and any DIY options out there. With winter on its way I think it would be great to share this info.

Also any information on regional rebates.
    This thread is currently associated with: N/A

CaLoonie
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

Here is some info from PEI.

Rebate of 425,1050,2100 depending on income. You must apply, get photos taken of before and after for the rebate.
    http://www.gov.pe.ca/photos/original/OEE_EE_Grant.pdf

Most Installers quote about 4K for the fujutsu RLS2H 15,000 BTU model. This is without electrical done. - way over priced in my books but they do have a 10 year parts and labor warranty.

Senville heat pumps seem to be getting good reviews. You can buy online and they seem to be everywhere. These are not DIY so you need to hire someone to install them.
    http://www.sogoodtobuy.com/energy-st...ners-s/110.htm

Some DIY units are out there. I really do not know the quality but they seem to be catching on more. Some units can be installed using just standard wall outlet and have a quick connect fitting so no need to vacuum the lines.
    http://www.ductlessdirect.ca/DIY-Qui...ct-Heat-Pumps/

Some other option are window install heat pumps/ AC units. I have not seen any and don't know how good they are but apparently you can get units that install like a window AC unit and can both heat and cool

CaLoonie
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

Anyone have any info on heat pumps they would like to share?
    Last edited by hirev; Thu, Nov 20th, 2014 at 09:01 PM.

momof5boys
    Trading Score
    509 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by hirev View Post
    bump
    Not sure where you are located but our plumber/heating fellow told us that he installed one of these heat pumps in his home and regretted it. Said it cost too much to run. We are in a warmer climate in BC though.

CaNewbie
    Trading Score
    2 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by momof5boys View Post
    Not sure where you are located but our plumber/heating fellow told us that he installed one of these heat pumps in his home and regretted it. Said it cost too much to run. We are in a warmer climate in BC though.
    We have a geothermal unit. We have had it since 2007. I love the consistency of the heat and cooling you get with the unit. We see a large savings when it is in cooling mode in the summer. However with the increasing hydro rates it costs us more during mid and on peak times than natural gas would for heat. If you look at the cost calculators they have online they base it on .06 cents/kwh. I am in ontario and even our off peak rate isn't that cheap. You really need to look into the calculations to see if it's worth it based on your hydro rates.

CaLoonie
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

Here on PEI we do not have natural gas. Sadly we have oil, wood, electric, and propane(must be delivered and stored in tank).

Power rates here are about 12.5 cents and we only have one rate. heat pumps are making a large jump on PEI mostly mini splits as it costs about 4 grand to install a unit but seems to save money if heating by oil. Oil is used by most people on pei for heat, Wood is next followed by propane and electric.

Either way its expensive to heat a house but mini splits seem to be the most popular lately. you can run a mini split for the same cost as a dehumidifier some times which is a bonus since it also dehumidifies.

Thread Information