User Tag List

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
Like Tree71Likes

Thread: Does anyone know of any low fee or no fee banks? How's PC Financial? ++

Trading Score
    0 (0%)

Plus you can merge your PC Plus card onto your PC debit card. Only have to carry 1 card.
    lucy16076 and JDI007 like this.

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    51 (100%)

Not to detract from the original post... The one thing I don't like is not being able to access my savings account at the ATM. I have talked to one rep at the kiosk and he said it can't be done. So I have to go online to trf from savings to chequing to get the cash from the ATM. Similarly I have to deposit into chequing at the ATM and then transfer to savings online. Does someone know another way of doing? Thanks.
    Apologies to OP.
    JDI007 likes this.

Trading Score
    12 (100%)

Bank Machines and Pavilions

Can I only use PC Financial® bank machines to access money in my account?Open Can I only use PC Financial® bank machines to access money in my account?
    Close Can I only use PC Financial® bank machines to access money in my account?

No, you also have free use of CIBC bank machines across Canada. That means you can do your banking at PC Financial and CIBC bank machines. Please note that withdrawals from savings accounts cannot be made at a bank machine (funds must first be transferred to another account) and some machines are not capable of accepting deposits.

You can also withdraw money from any other bank machine displaying the Interac® or PLUS* sign. open dialog
    Standard charges for use of non-PC Financial or non-CIBC bank machines will apply, in addition to any fee levied by the bank machine.
    For more details regarding which PC Financial accounts are accessible through bank machines, contact us toll-free at 1-888-723-8881. A Personal Banking Representative will help you.
    What about using telephone banking to do the transfer? It seems to be the route for emergency access to funds. Have you also tried using a CIBC bank machine and get the same outcome?
    JDI007 likes this.
    2021-Bring on the sunshine, sweets & online shopping.

Trading Score
    24 (100%)

I moved from BMO to PC Financial and Tangerine a couple years ago. I like both options for no fees banking, but there are a few things that irk me with each of them.

For PC Financial, my biggest annoyance is what Cake mentioned above. If you don't keep a buffer in your chequing account, and do not have overdraft, if you want to purchase a $35 item and only have $20 in your account, don't expect to be able to immediately transfer $15 from your savings account to your chequing account. It's takes one day to move FROM a savings account TO a chequing account. It's instantaneous the other way around though.

But I love PC Points, free cheques all the time, unlimited transactions, and all the other perks. I use them for my day-to-day banking. Tangerine is my savings bank, so it doesn't matter so much that they only give one book of cheques for free.
    Ciel and JDI007 like this.
    Blog. Open an account with Tangerine (formerly ING-Direct) using my Orange Key (40643422S1), deposit $100 and we both get $50! Offer is available until December 31st. Check here for more details.

Trading Score
    129 (100%)

I have been with PCF for years! No issues plus have my mortgage with them as well! I also bank with Tangerine! Another NO FEE bank account NEVER pays bank fees !! The banks take your money & invest it making MILLIONS then pay out diddly squat for interest................then try to take money to let you have access to what is rightfully yours in the first place!
    PCF & Tangerine are great to bank with!! Bonus....Tangerine's has a great investment program as well
    Ciel, lizzie bargain and JDI007 like this.
    Click here under "about me" to view my wish list.
    Visit Swagbucks.com to earn freebies! Click my referral link to get started!

Tangerine bank GIVES YOU $25 cold hard cash for opening an account!
    Use my Orange Key 14220607S1 & it's $25 for me too! NO FEE BANKING!!

Senior Canuck
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

Thank you! will check out Tangerine as well if I have one near me.
    Ciel and lucy16076 like this.

Trading Score
    24 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by A007 View Post
    Location of Tangerine isn't so important - you can use Scotiabank ATMs for free. And setting up the account can all be done via distance (online application, and mailing in a cheque written to yourself).
    Ciel, lucy16076, emma008 and 1 others like this.
    Blog. Open an account with Tangerine (formerly ING-Direct) using my Orange Key (40643422S1), deposit $100 and we both get $50! Offer is available until December 31st. Check here for more details.

Trading Score
    129 (100%)

If happen to open a Tangerine account, use my key to see if they still bonus us with $25 each

CaNewbie
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

My brother is with PC Financial, no issues so far for him
    Ciel, lucy16076 and JDI007 like this.

Senior Canuck
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

So Tangerine is only online? then how are deposits/withdraws made? if I want to pay in cash etc?
    or can you do it at any Scotiabanks? (like PC at any CIBC's)?
    Last edited by JDI007; Thu, Dec 4th, 2014 at 01:02 PM.
    Ciel and lucy16076 like this.

Trading Score
    12 (100%)

Free ABM Access

Paying to access your own cash isn't fair. You can withdraw your money for free nation-wide at nearly 4,000 ABMs (Automated Banking Machines) on the Scotiabank® ABM Network including those at Shell, 7-Eleven, Quickie convenience stores, Cineplex Theatres and Couche-Tard. Deposits, withdrawals and PIN changes can all be done free of charge at Scotiabank Branch ABMs. You can find the ABM closest to you by using our ABM locator or by downloading the Tangerine Mobile Banking app to your smartphone.

As of September 28, 2014, we are no longer part of THE EXCHANGE® Network, which means withdrawals from ABMs on THE EXCHANGE are not free. It also means you can't make deposits or PIN Changes at those ABMs. We know our exit from THE EXCHANGE Network has impacted some of our Clients, but here are some other easy and convenient ways to access your money.
    Find your closest ABM on the Scotiabank® ABM Network by using our ABM locator
    Ask for Cash Back at retailers. Make fewer trips to the ABM simply by asking for cash back when you make debit purchases.
    Deposit a cheque using your smartphone. With Cheque-InTM, there are no trips to an ABM required. Simply download the App, log in and follow the instructions to take a photo of your cheque and upload it.
    http://www.tangerine.ca/en/ways-to-b...nes/index.html

http://www.tangerine.ca/en/ways-to-b...ing/index.html

Using Scotiabank's locator:
    http://maps.scotiabank.com/en/result...ationtypes=1,3

ING Direct's selling feature was that it did not need branches so fees were non-existant for basic banking services or only applicable to certain services. Tangerine is a renamed ING now run by Scotiabank.
    http://www.tangerine.ca/en/ways-to-b...ing/index.html

With PC Financial, it too is about online/telephone banking. There is a limited service or two you do at the CIBC counter (after calling PCFinancial first to do your banking) but it's not for deposits or withdrawals, it's for money orders. There's a notice about it: http://www.banking.pcfinancial.ca/mk...ccount-en.html
    See Optional Features>Special Requests
    You can use CIBC ABMs at branches or Loblaws banner stores to withdraw money.
    Last edited by Ciel; Thu, Dec 4th, 2014 at 07:42 PM.
    lucy16076 and JDI007 like this.
    2021-Bring on the sunshine, sweets & online shopping.

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    5 (100%)

Does PC Banking still do a credit check when you open an account? I know they wanted to years ago when I inquired about opening an account. I thought it was crazy to need a credit check to GIVE my money to a bank? I never did the application and went with my current Credit Union which has been amazing.

Trading Score
    129 (100%)

So Tangerine is only online? then how are deposits/withdraws made? if I want to pay in cash etc?
    or can you do it at any Scotiabanks? (like PC at any CIBC's)?

Tangerine has a bank card just like the others, that can be used at any Scotiabank machine. Here's the blurb taken right from www.tangerine.ca
    ...Paying to access your own cash isn't fair. You can withdraw your money for free nation-wide at nearly 4,000 ABMs (Automated Banking Machines) on the Scotiabank® ABM Network including those at Shell, 7-Eleven, Quickie convenience stores, Cineplex Theatres and Couche-Tard. Deposits, withdrawals and PIN changes can all be done free of charge at Scotiabank Branch ABMs. You can find the ABM closest to you by using our ABM locator or by downloading the Tangerine Mobile Banking app to your smartphone.

I can't say enough about Tangerine. They have low rates for investing, stable competitive interest rates (as competitive as they get! Currently 1.3%), great customer service, & no fees! They are an online banking system associated with Scotiabank. This merger is new, and nothing has changed since the transformation from ING Direct. I had fear it would but I held onto the notion that they would keep to their word....so far so good!
    I use Tangerine for savings/investments. I have a direct transfer set up with my PC account...no issues. Anytime I've needed to speak to someone, I've called & had someone take care of my issue straight away.
    To the best of my knowledge, PCF & Tangerine bank offer the best bang for your buck!! No fees & competitive interest rates!
    Hope this helped!
    JDI007 likes this.

Trading Score
    129 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by CrazyQT View Post
    Does PC Banking still do a credit check when you open an account? I know they wanted to years ago when I inquired about opening an account. I thought it was crazy to need a credit check to GIVE my money to a bank? I never did the application and went with my current Credit Union which has been amazing.
    I can see your point totally, but from the financial institutions perspective, they may want to be certain you haven't had any issues with past banking institutions. I'm sure they have to cover their butts from those that take advantage & ruin it for the honest folk I hear the Credit Unions are good banks as well....I didn't like the annual fee when I looked into one...do they still charge you to be a member of their bank?
    JDI007 likes this.

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    1 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by lucy16076 View Post
    I hear the Credit Unions are good banks as well....I didn't like the annual fee when I looked into one...do they still charge you to be a member of their bank?
    Well, if you didn't pay to become a member, it wouldn't be a "union". Look at the membership as the equivalent of buying a share in the bank.
    Last edited by blueeyetea; Mon, Dec 8th, 2014 at 01:00 PM.
    JDI007 likes this.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread Information