User Tag List

CaNewbie
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

I am applying for an internship position in the government. One question in the application asks: Explain how the focus area that you have selected supports two Key Priorities of the current Ontario government. Does anyone know what they are? I tried searching for it but nothing came up.
    This thread is currently associated with: N/A

Trading Score
    65 (100%)

I know one through the ontario ministry of health there is a strong Aging in Place
    Initiative ... but it also depends on the focus area you have chosen from the way the question is worded.

Banned
    Trading Score
    93 (100%)

I started applying for this internship too, but the questions were pretty detailed and elaborate, I had a hard time filling it out.
    Which focus group are you applying for?

CaNewbie
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

I'm applying for the same internship (deadline tomorrow at noon!!). I'm not sure whether the field for which you're applying makes that much of a difference. It's certainly not something you can Google and is more likely a test to determine what you believe the key priorities are.

My answers were somewhat vague (maybe a better word would be 'encompassing'). I doubt they are looking for specific examples as the internship is not partisan oriented, but more your general interpretation as to what the gov is looking for regardless of financial or social priorities.

I'd give you my own specific thoughts on the two Key Priorities if I weren't applying for it myself! Sorry!

My gut instinct is to just make an educated guess based on what you've read in the paper, how pundits might criticize or applaud the G, and interpret it all on a broader scale.

If it were 'Googleable', it wouldn't be much of an application...

Best of luck! Hope to see you in the office in a few months

Senior Canuck
    Trading Score
    2 (100%)

1. Health
    2. Education
    3. Economy
    4. Public Safety
    5. Strong Communities
    6. Environment

http://www.premier.gov.on.ca/priorities/default.asp

I.B
    CaNewbie
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

The <?xml:namespace prefix = st1 ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:smarttags" /><st1:place w:st="on"><st1:State w:st="on">Ontario</st1:State></st1:place> government has set five key priorities for its four-year term of office. All government programs must take these key priorities into account and, wherever possible, contribute to achieving the targeted outcomes.<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" /><o:p></o:p>
    The government's five key priorities are:<o:p></o:p>
    1. Success for students <o:p></o:p>
    2. Better health for Ontarians <o:p></o:p>
    3. A strong economy <o:p></o:p>
    4. Strong communities <o:p></o:p>
    5. A stronger democracy <o:p></o:p>
    1. Success for students
    The province wants its elementary and secondary education system to be one of the best in the world. It is planning to stabilize its system of education and to target excellence in education and success for students. To achieve this, it will introduce a series of initiatives, including limiting the number of students per class, adding more teacher training spaces, creating a literacy and numeracy secretariat, purchasing textbooks and other educational resources, and implementing a learning strategy to increase the number of students who complete high school and take training or pursue a postsecondary education. <o:p></o:p>
    2. Better health for Ontarians
    The government has made a commitment to improve the health care system and deliver high-quality services. Key strategies include broader access to primary care, community care, and hospital care offering essential health services. The government will focus on healthy lifestyles, the prevention of illness, and the promotion of health. It will promote increased participation in athletics and physical activity and implement a human resource development strategy to increase the number of qualified health care professionals. <o:p></o:p>
    3. A strong economy
    In addition to improving access to high-quality postsecondary education, the government will transform its training and apprenticeship system in order to better serve apprentices, immigrants, the unemployed, and youth who are making the transition from school to work. It will take steps to eliminate the obstacles that prevent foreign-trained individuals from practising their professions and trades, and will provide small business with more help. <o:p></o:p>
    4. Strong communities
    The government will revitalize the social service sector and offer coordinated, effective forms of support for children, families, and at-risk populations. Children and families who are at risk will have access to early prevention and intervention services. Support measures will provide at-risk adults and individuals with disabilities with access to services designed to increase their personal autonomy and their autonomy within the community. The government will begin a dialogue with the municipalities to create a new partnership between these two levels of government. <o:p></o:p>
    5. A stronger democracy
    The government will recognise the contribution that volunteers make to the prosperity and vitality of the province and will encourage more Ontarians to get involved in their communities. It will encourage Ontarians–particularly young Ontarians–to vote. It will be a responsible, transparent government that tells Ontarians about the programs and services it offers and the results that it achieves with the money at its disposal. In order to contribute to the <st1:State w:st="on">Ontario</st1:State> government's priorities, while addressing the major challenges involved in delivering high-quality French-language services, the <st1:place w:st="on"><ST1laceType w:st="on">Province</ST1laceType> of <ST1laceName w:st="on">Ontario</ST1laceName></st1:place> has set three key strategic objectives under the Agreement. <o:p></o:p>
    1. Increase access to French-language services in priority sectors <o:p></o:p>
    § Together with their transfer payment agencies and their municipal partners, government ministries and agencies will increase access to high-quality French-language services in the area of health, social services, child and family services, vocational training, services for the elderly and for victims of crime and violence. Efforts will be made to reach young people more effectively. <o:p></o:p>
    2. Communication and dialogue with the Francophone community <o:p></o:p>
    § Government ministries and agencies will involve Francophones more extensively in planning policies and programs and they will adopt concrete measures to make their programs and services, including their French-language services, more widely known. <o:p></o:p>
    3. Participation and promotion of the contribution that Francophones make to the political, social, cultural, economic, and community life of the province <o:p></o:p>
    § Ministries will promote the cultural and linguistic heritage of Francophones and their cultural diversity. They will encourage the economic development of Francophone communities and highlight the contribution that Francophones make to the prosperity and vitality of the province. <o:p></o:p>
    <o:p></o:p>

Trading Score
    0 (0%)

Well, I guess the app is over so I can add a few cents.

1. Public Transportation.

Oh for the love of goodness sakes, can't we have some kind of public high speed rail system from Montreal to Ottawa to Kingston to Trenton , the university cities, Hamilton, Niagra Falls, Windsor (what am I missing?) ??? PLEASE?

Oh for the love of T. O. can we PLEASE have the TTC have a subway to the AIRPORT???? Why do we need a bridge to the Island Airport??? Who got that ridiculous contract. Scandalous! High Speed Train and TTC to the AIRPORT for goodness sake.

Just get rid of "ticket booth collectors". Automate the system. The "guy" in the booth should be there for INFORMATION. Someone from Toronto PLEASE visit, Seoul, Tokyo, Taiwan to study how efficient and affordable they are? Charge for number of zones crossed on the subway. The buses can be fixed fare. Label the exits of subways CLEARLY, for tourists and new comers. Like "Exit A: Bloor St", "Exit 1: Bus 19 southbound" whatever... just make it clear! Because we can't depend on the guy in the booth to help us.

2. Education.

Yes, I want year round education with 8 weeks divided into 2 weeks every 3 months for a start. After that, let's get down to serious business and reform.... ha ha ha...

3. Traffic.

What is going on? Lots of speeders and lots of pedestrians with iPods. Slow down drivers, turn down that ipod and pay attention! And I thought drunk driving was a generational thing that older people did. What happened???! Younger folks were encouraged with messages of not drinking and driving so what's the problem??

4. Strong communities

Yes, strong communities, supported with public buildings that include places where families and children can go and visit or study, find some social or tutorial or employment help. Like a giant community centre with a library, daycare, gym, few class rooms.... somewhere where everyone in the community can feel welcome to hang out. It should have a public park or outdoor area for the community to enjoy and to encourage public gardening which is becoming popular. Gravy would be a public swimming pool.

5. Better infrastructure. I ******* about the public transit system, well, how about we give drivers safer roads, less pot holes, speed bumps where needed, trimming branches that cover "stop" signs.... etc... And safer sidewalks that are not treacherous bodies of icy water to cross with a baby carriage when crossing the road. I'm no urban engineer.... so who ever is, get on it!

blah, blah, blah, blah...

:D

I feel better after that rant! And no! I don't care about my grammer or spelling in this post! So there!

Trading Score
    3 (80%)

at least you got a Provincial government that has Key Priorities...I am pretty certain BC government doesn't have a plan at all...
    Live, Love, Laugh

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    10 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by greentires4me View Post
    at least you got a Provincial government that has Key Priorities...I am pretty certain BC government doesn't have a plan at all...

I guess the ON gov't is just better at pretending they are actually doing something!

Instead they gave us HST.

Thread Information