User Tag List

Like Tree3Likes
  • 1 Post By walkonby
  • 2 Post By Stifler

Thread: Yellow Pages to end home delivery

Trading Score
    12 (100%)

Depending on local areas, YP will either send a directory to a home requesting one or provide them for pickup at local businesses (I'm reading that to mean mobile phone stores). Print has some staying power though the ad traffic/searching is online mostly.

http://www.thestar.com/business/tech...ome-areas.html

This seems to move in the direction of Canada Post's mail delivery>more of a DIY approach.

Last month I got scolded by a parent for tossing an old phone directory for Hamilton despite the fact it was two years old (from when YP split Hamilton from the other directories-for one year, it was a complimentary copy if you called in to request it; then it was regular price for the next year).
    If I had prize money to afford buying the Hamilton YP directory, I'd order it just so the parents had it on hand. The edition we get is much smaller.
    This thread is currently associated with: Bell, Canada Post
    2021-Bring on the sunshine, sweets & online shopping.

no more door to door! :) walkonby's Avatar
    Trading Score
    24 (100%)

I have very little use for yellow pages, mine usually gets tossed into the recycle bin as soon as I get it.
    Ciel likes this.

babies teach us acceptance

Stifler
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

They come in handy when you're looking for businesses.
    Ciel and saveadollardiva like this.

Trading Score
    12 (100%)

I'd like a couple of the Toronto directories from East and West just for the YP ad content alone! Many libraries outside of the GTA have cut back on phone directories. Burlington's Central Branch has a useful assortment-GTA and a few other Ontario ones but the selection has become smaller over the years.

Hamilton's Central Branch used to have most phone major cities' directories however the phone directory section is very much depleted. There may be suburban branches with a Toronto YP directory or two just for the fact there are business listings in the white pages plus many names in the various categories for the YP.

It's hard that the font keeps getting smaller every issue. But the issue is magnified when now, one cannot rely on community/town headings to keep track of where the residential listings are. They are all now one amalgamated group--Niagara Region went this way years ago with its directory. Best guess at one's area code now...choose from one of three unless new listings indicate the area code.

Trading Score
    12 (100%)

Have not spotted new Hamilton business directories in any Yellow Pages boxes (downtown, Eastgate Square area, Westdale, Ancaster -only two locations I'm aware that still have boxes) to date.

Trading Score
    12 (100%)

Ancaster no longer has a second YP box in town-it was removed about a week ago. The last box is at the Meadowlands bus terminal area and there are no business directories inside, just the weekly or biweekly publications. Same with the YP box at Upper James & Rymal Rd E (Shoppers side) and the boxes on Mohawk Rd W at Upper Paradise Rd and Mohawk Rd E at Upper Wellington St.

Holding on to last year's directory! It is part of my reference library. If I am wise to have a trip to Toronto in February or March, I'll definitely seek Toronto directories (if SCers in the know can tell me that YP boxes do have them in the downtown area).
    Last edited by Ciel; Sat, Jan 28th, 2017 at 09:12 PM.

Thread Information