User Tag List

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
Like Tree38Likes

Thread: Thinking of cancelling our cable.../What to do now..?

Trading Score
    12 (100%)

@A007 , today's the last day to get the Source's sale pricing on either antenna! Check online for stock before you go to the store. Hope it works out for the tv with the best reception/window for signals.
    2021-Bring on the sunshine, sweets & online shopping.

Trading Score
    173 (100%)

You may need a digital converter for your antenna to get channels too
    They are about $50. Not sure how many channels are running on older non-digi waves
    Ciel likes this.
    Make an easy $20+ per month with Swagbucks - watch videos, search, play games & get paid!
    ~ ~ ~
    Save while shopping online with cashback from ebates
    Get cash rebates when you buy from amazon.ca, Old Navy and more - get paid by cheque or paypal!

Trading Score
    12 (100%)

My brother had initially had another box connected to the flatpad antenna system but I told him to simplify it because using two different and dark remotes would be confusing for my parents-because the box remote had to be on a certain channel then one had to use the tv remote. I had to retire the large button Sony remote when the old CRT tv expired last year.

While the parents had the hang of the new remote, asking them to handle the digital box remote was one thing too many for me so he was able to take off the Home Work box/remote and use the flatpad connection at the back of the tv.

The big change is that all of the over the air channels are a number-dash-number. So brother input the available channels (he printed off the list) and parents can just use the up or down channel buttons. If I had to enter a station everytime a parent wanted to watch a show, I'd find a way to expire the tv.
    Last edited by Ciel; Mon, Jun 1st, 2015 at 02:14 PM. Reason: spelling

Senior Canuck
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

One of the FAQ's on the source website says if you have a digital tuner in your tv(a way to scan for digital channels from options menu) then you're fine. / I also hope Source has a good return policy..the box will be opened and product tested out..hope I am able to return it if it doesn't work out, I haven't bought anything from Source in a very long time but will ask them about return policy.

I also noticed some of the antenna's have more "miles of reception" they get..I guess I should go with the one that has more miles right?
    Ciel likes this.

Trading Score
    173 (100%)

Obviously the more miles, the more likely you are to get the channel, but it may be fuzzy / drop a lot.

We have a digital TV but get 5 channels more with the box attached than just using the TV. We have USTV now anyway and use it more than reg TV (apart from CH in the morning to check weather/GO service)
    Ciel and JDI007 like this.
    Make an easy $20+ per month with Swagbucks - watch videos, search, play games & get paid!
    ~ ~ ~
    Save while shopping online with cashback from ebates
    Get cash rebates when you buy from amazon.ca, Old Navy and more - get paid by cheque or paypal!

Trading Score
    12 (100%)

Wonder if the Source would consider the flatpad antenna as a media converting product? There are different days allowed for return depending on the item.

Returns and Exchanges policy from Source website:
    http://www.thesource.ca/estore/conte...69C0B160135815
    Last edited by Ciel; Wed, Mar 25th, 2015 at 12:22 PM.
    JDI007 likes this.

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    3 (100%)

I bought a cheap indoor antenna for $24.99 at an electronics store and I get 17 channels. These include ABC, CBS, CHCH, etc. In order to get American channels I need to move the antenna but lose City tv. To get more Canadian channels I lose some American ones. But I have saved a ton of money with zero cable!

Most TV stations will have shows available for viewing. For example I love real housewives series and currently www.slice.ca has the recent episodes available to watch online.

For my one analog tv (older model) I bought a converter from Best Buy for $50 and now that TV works with a second indoor antenna that I picked up at a warehouse sale for $10.
    Ciel likes this.

Trading Score
    12 (100%)

CityTV is generally hard to get to stay on the air-it's OK some mornings but lousy in the evenings and on weekends especially if there are weather conditions like fog to affect signal. I like being able to watch Festival Italiano on Sundays to see if the BBQ guy Nad is cooking up something!

The Star had another article on the over the air antenna equipment needed: http://www.thestar.com/business/pers...er-mayers.html
    Last edited by Ciel; Mon, Jun 1st, 2015 at 02:15 PM.
    barbis9 likes this.

Trading Score
    0 (0%)

today i got rid of my digital plus and just sticking with basic digital

saving me $20.00 a month, not much but better than nothing!!
    Ciel likes this.
    You can't change other people. You can only change yourself"
    - H. H. Getter

when we change our attitude, we change our lives

Senior Canuck
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

Tried the antenna..didn't work out for us so well so we ended up returning it. I'm glad you guys are getting channels on it though! that's awesome! / So..my parent's say they want live tv so we had to call Rogers back and ask about the nextbox 2.0.. they told us to go to a specific rogers store and buy it and hook it up yourself so that's what we'v got now..except we need another one for another tv.. so now there's all these extra costs on our bill and it's double the amount it was before..it's just crazy :/ ooh and did I mention there's a fee! that is NOT on your bill! I called them up and they said it's a first time fee for the box... I don't care what it is! I want to see it on my bill! if it's not on my bill I'm not paying for it you can't just make up a fee off the top of your head! if it's not on my bill! wth! / ugh..how I hate cable companies..they are the worst!
    The only one which we had no problems with was Shaw/used to be Mountain Cable but then we got a letter that Shaw is now Rogers and that's why we have Rogers now..except I still see Shaw commercials and everything..so..is Shaw still it's own company? so why would they lie to us that it's Rogers.. did Shaw just relocate it's services ...? / I wish we still had it.
    and then I called up Bell..out of curiosity to compare prices, but they are the worst to deal with because I specifically told the guy I wanted everything basic, no extra channels nothing extra, I could not have been more clear I told him a hundred times over and over again! he kept saying ok! except it was not ok! because seconds later I get an email receipt and there's all these ridiculous fee's that I'v never even heard of and definitely were NOT discussed with me and he put up all these extra's that I did not ask for.. extra channels etc. omg! it's such a pain in the @ss to even talk to these people! like wth is wrong with them!
    ..cable companies are nothing but scum! money-grabbing scum! :/
    like how are you even supposed to talk to these people and do business with them...when they keep scamming you..

(I apologize for anyone who works for a cable company)
    Last edited by JDI007; Sat, May 30th, 2015 at 10:26 PM.
    Ciel likes this.

Trading Score
    12 (100%)

Shaw owns cable space in Western Canada. Rogers took over the Hamilton Shaw area coverage. But Rogers has BC and AB turf through its City channels out there. Odd world.

I asked my sibling about Bell Fibe TV and he said our area does not get it. Guess those in the Meadowlands do.

Glad you tried the antenna box. Read the Toronto Star article to see if anything else might work for you.
    JDI007 likes this.

Senior Canuck
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

Yea, I guess we're gonna wait when cable companies(at least Rogers since it's the only one in our area) will offer their customers those channel packages, where you can pick your own channels and pay for the ones you want. I'm really interested in that service but heard it comes out next year..but we'll wait and see..if it'll be cheaper.
    Ciel likes this.

Trading Score
    12 (100%)

December 2015---right when everyone's attention is on getting through busy schedules and shopping centres!

Cogeco sent our household a letter to tempt us back to cable--not happening.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread Information