• 2 Post By jsmile
  • 4 Post By maple7
  • 3 Post By FallenPixels
  • 1 Post By maple7
  • 2 Post By memarymac

Thread: Advice needed on buying cosmetics

Trading Score
    0 (0%)

Hey everyone. So, I haven't purchased cosmetics since the 90's. I promised my niece I'd take her to Shoppers to spend my 95,000 points on the next redemption day. She's a big make-up conniosseur. What's my best plan of attack? Wait for a redemption weekend or look for sales? Thanks in advance.
    This thread is currently associated with: Shoppers Drug Mart
    amira84 and maple7 like this.

Junior Canuck
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

I'm the wrong person to ask about cosmetics. However are you looking for convenience (online), best or specific products (sales) or best value for the money (SC strategies).
    Let us know what specific items you are looking for.
    Last edited by sirandrewr; Tue, Nov 10th, 2015 at 02:35 AM.
    memarymac and maple7 like this.

CaNewbie
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

Definitely wait for a redemption weekend. High End cosmetics like Lancôme, Elizabeth Arden, Smashbox etc never go on sale. The only way to save some money on the high end brands are during the holidays when they come out with box sets. Lower end brand cosmetics like cover girl, Maybelline do go on sale but the savings are never more than a dollar or two and the lower end brands are usually cheaper at Walmart.
    memarymac, amira84, maple7 and 1 others like this.

Trading Score
    3 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by Chanel#2 View Post
    Definitely wait for a redemption weekend. High End cosmetics like Lancôme, Elizabeth Arden, Smashbox etc never go on sale. The only way to save some money on the high end brands are during the holidays when they come out with box sets. Lower end brand cosmetics like cover girl, Maybelline do go on sale but the savings are never more than a dollar or two and the lower end brands are usually cheaper at Walmart.

Exactly what i wanted to say. Since you are going to spend your points, why not splurge on high end cosmetics during bonus redemption days.

What i have noticed during my almost 2 yrs of SmartCanucks(and sdm) life is that best time to buy high end cosmetics is either bonus/mega redemption days or during their "30 days of beauty" type of days when they seem to offer more generous offers on high end cosmetics.
    memarymac, maple7 and JasmineTea like this.

Know what matters...
    Trading Score
    21 (100%)

Lucky niece I agree with waiting for a bonus redemption.

Be sure to check the website for optimum offers on beauty. I scored 8k bonus points the last time I bought Lancome Sometimes you need to print out a coupon, sometimes it's automatic. If no coupon is needed, I still print out the offer info and bring it along - the stores/employees don't always know about the offers.

Also find out if there is a GWP (gift with purchase) for any of the brands she's interested in!

Have fun!

Silk
    memarymac, maple7 and JasmineTea like this.
    Have a great life!

Junior Canuck
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

#buyitall right @amira84 ?
    memarymac and amira84 like this.

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

Very kind of you, I'm sure she will be thrilled.

Agree with all the above. A few exceptions to consider:
    - some the "limited edition" / Christmas gift sets are sold out before the redemption date, sometimes many are. They are usually great value if she likes all the products in a set so might be better to bypass the bonus redemption and shop early. This also applies to items that are popular as well, I looked yesterday for a specific Smashbox set at two stores and both were sold out due to beauty event on the weekend.
    - Different stores carry different brands, you can search using the store locator tool to see what product lines each store carries. Some may only carry a few items of a brand though, so better to make sure it's a beauty boutique store which will carry more from each product line.
    - Prices at beautyboutique.ca are the same as in-store, if she wants to decide on what she might like on her list before going to the store.
    - Other reasons to buy early would be if she wants quo brushes (often 40% off) weren't on sale during the redemption last year if I recall correctly (99% sure), Lancome has gift bag with purchase offer, again pretty sure it's was over during redemption.
    - Could give her the option? $210 on redemption day understanding risk or $170 earlier.

Regardless of when you go, you can't go wrong. I'm sure it will be a day she will always remember.

Trading Score
    173 (100%)

@maple7 mine got a delivery of more holiday sets on Monday so they will probably go out on the shelves this week, may be worth checking again as mine was sold out of Smashbox on Sat but had them on the shelf today.

If I want high end stuff, I wait for bonus redemption unless for some reason they have a sale (rare) or Optimum offer on the items I want.
    memarymac, amira84 and maple7 like this.
    Make an easy $20+ per month with Swagbucks - watch videos, search, play games & get paid!
    ~ ~ ~
    Save while shopping online with cashback from ebates
    Get cash rebates when you buy from amazon.ca, Old Navy and more - get paid by cheque or paypal!

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

Quote Originally Posted by FallenPixels View Post
    @maple7 mine got a delivery of more holiday sets on Monday so they will probably go out on the shelves this week, may be worth checking again as mine was sold out of Smashbox on Sat but had them on the shelf today.

If I want high end stuff, I wait for bonus redemption unless for some reason they have a sale (rare) or Optimum offer on the items I want.
    Thank you Fallen, good to know. I plan to try a different Shoppers today.
    memarymac likes this.

Trading Score
    0 (0%)

Thanks everyone, this is incredibly helpful. I've been telling her since September that I'd take her shopping as soon as there's a redemption weekend. I've been despairing of it being soon and wondered if maybe there were deals to be had now that we'd be missing out on by waiting. But thanks to you we'll wait for a redemption weekend. She's knows her stuff so will be looking for the high end cosmetics. I'll tell her to keep you all in her thoughts as she's clearing off the shelves!
    Silk and maple7 like this.

Thread Information