User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree93Likes

Thread: door to door salespersons

CaToonie
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

The other day I had someone come to my door and tell me they were with some energy company (logo on the jacket) and wanted to know if my air conditioning unit was in the front or back. I told him the back and was waiting to decline whatever it was they were selling. He told me that he was just going to check the tag and would meet me back at the front door when he was finished. I immediately got angry and told him that no I would not be meeting him anywhere and that I was not interested in anything he had to tell me.
    I am a senior, 57, a widow and wasn't letting anyone in my house. I couldn't help but wonder how this tactic is used and how vulnerable citizens are when someone knocks on your door. How easily this guy thought he could get me to talk to him! Should I come across an opportunity to teach others how to protect themselves I think I will. BTW I left him standing at the door with his mouth hanging open! If I wasn't so angry at the time I suppose I would have laughed!
    This thread is currently associated with: N/A
    Ciel, GoJays, macw1960 and 7 others like this.

Trading Score
    1 (100%)

Good for you!

i HATE pushy sales tactics. i dont trust anyone & i will NEVER give out private info to a salesman.
    Ciel, GoJays, macw1960 and 5 others like this.

Trading Score
    3 (100%)

For us, it used to be the gas people - "lock in with our prices and you don't have to worry about the price of gas going up!" Turns out the price of gas went down. Glad I told them to take a hike.
    Now, it's the heating and cooling people, same as you @Nina1 . Last week he wanted to "just run downstairs to check the tags on our furnace". I told him that I didn't want him in my house and to get the hell off my front step. I don't even give them a chance to apologize, I just slam the door in their face. Why? Because I have a very prominent No Soliciting sign right on the door. I can't believe the amount of people who have no idea what that sign means. I could write a book.

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    34 (100%)

I used to have Jevovah witness after me when I was 14; I lived in apartment at that time. Once I went to laundry and she stalk me to laundry room as she came after me, teaching me IN laundry while I was folding those clothes! WTF LOL

Mom was away or she would have taught her some lesson!
    Ciel, macw1960, wolfwoman and 3 others like this.
    "Freedom is a myth, love is non-existent and privacy is delusional! No right to live or die"

Like for me no apparent reason!
    https://www.facebook.com/Arvilish-133128550466283/

Frosh Canuck
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

Not only did you feel pressured/angry, the situation could have been a dangerous one... who knows who that door to door salesperson is and what they want. If we don't know you at the door we don't open up. Period.
    Ciel, macw1960, Decaf and 3 others like this.

Trading Score
    7 (100%)

the Ontario government have had lots of complaints

Trading Score
    12 (100%)

Logo on a jacket is not good enough (who knows, the jacket could have been obtained second-hand, reason enough to remove company logos before donating clothing). In Ontario, the door to door sales reps have to have photo ID.
    Two years ago, someone trying to chat up Dad had their badge attached to the top of their clipboard hinge through the hole.

OP, good for you telling the person to leave. Strangers asking to see your appliance tags without some verification of their reason to interact with you or be on your property--they'll make it harder for persons in legitimate need of (911 call) help of getting any at anyone's door.
    Before you hear a sales pitch

When you open your door to a salesperson, remember:

• ask for photo ID and get the name of the person and the business
    • never share personal information (For example, an electricity or gas bill)
    • if you ask a salesperson to leave, they must leave right away. If you feel unsafe, call local police
    • look at the company name on the salesperson’s business card and promotional material and see if it matches the company name on the proposed contract
    • do not rely on a salesperson’s opinion that your water heater is unsafe or should be replaced
    • local utility companies, municipalities, government agencies or regulatory organizations don’t send salespeople door-to-door
    • you do not have to sign a contract at that time
    http://www.ontario.ca/page/door-door...vice-contracts
    2021-Bring on the sunshine, sweets & online shopping.

Trading Score
    321 (100%)

Good for you. If I get people like that at the door that are out to scam people I usually just call the police. They usually just send them out of town.
    ROMEO, Ciel, torontogal12 and 3 others like this.

No act of kindness, no matter how small, is ever forgotten...Aesop

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    13 (100%)

My way of dealing with.
    No Soliciting sign at front door
    Don't open door
    tell them if they want to sell me something they can feel free leave a brochure / paper in the mail box.
    Ciel, macw1960, walkonby and 3 others like this.

Canadian Guru
    Trading Score
    159 (100%)

Good for you for not letting him in. You should call the air conditioning company to ask if this guy is legit. Police sometimes issue warnings about non-legit door knockers but don't know that they're around unless someone reports them
    Ciel, macw1960, walkonby and 3 others like this.
    Apply every possible promo code to your cart, at every store that you visit (and get points for cash back on top of that?). It's sweet and easy with HONEY.

Always use Ebates and get cash back at over 600 online stores! Use this link to get $5, FREE

CaToonie
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

Thanks for all the feedback! Last year it was the CRA scam by phone and I ended up calling the police. That one has me so angry that I started swearing. Told me I would be arrested! Told them to bring it on!
    anisa, Ciel, GoJays and 4 others like this.

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    34 (100%)

^ I got that too but I told him that his English is so bad that not even Timmies would hire him, let alone Canadian Government!

I then got scolded by dad for being mean

Totally worth it though!
    Ciel, macw1960 and Nina1 like this.
    "Freedom is a myth, love is non-existent and privacy is delusional! No right to live or die"

Trading Score
    3 (100%)

I usually don't answer the phone if I don't recognize the number so that particular phone call went to voice mail several times til they were shut down. Well, I'm assuming they were shut down as we haven't gotten that call for awhile now.
    Ciel and macw1960 like this.

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    34 (100%)

^ I got the call last week! Thats when I gave him rude answer. Criminals aka lazy a*s NEVER learn!
    macw1960 likes this.

Trading Score
    20 (100%)

I don't even bother opening the door, because even if you say politely "Thank you, I'm not interested" they take it as an opportunity to flex their 'suave' (read 'pushy') sales skills.

I just wait for them to leave, but keep an eye on them through my LR window. The few times I actually answered from my balcony, they were so rude and persistent, I would end up telling them to piss off lol.
    GoJays, macw1960 and Arvilish like this.
    In 2020 I had 100 FREE Grocery pickups! Subscribe to PC Optimum Insiders & get 25,000 PC Optimum pts
    Get 10% back in points on all PC products - Free PC Express pickup with priority time slots - Free shipping with no minimum spend on joefresh.com and shoppersdrugmart.ca
    R
    eferral code to sign up: AN1455

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information