• 1 Post By samm07
  • 2 Post By Purdee
  • 4 Post By GoJays
  • 2 Post By Darth Penguin

Thread: Campbell's Powdered Soup kit

Canadian Guru
    Trading Score
    159 (100%)

So I tried the beef and barley one today.

Pros:

Control the amount of meat, vegetables and salt in your soup. This is important to me because I water down the ready to eat canned soup because I find it too salty. I don't eat condensed soup so can't compare.

Cons:

Inconvenient: you have to buy the kit, beef, carton of broth and vegetables all separately. You can't just add water like other dry soups. You need a full carton of broth, or you can't make it. I didn't have any broth so had to make something else for dinner. The pouch needs a big label on the front pointing out that you need to buy ingredients.

Expensive- After having to buy all the ingredients, it came to about $12 for two people.

Time consuming - you have to cook it for 45 minutes (gotta cook the barley from a dry state). I feel like partially cooked stuff (like the Uncle Ben's Bistro Express rice) would save a lot more time.

Taste- tasted good, but not much different than the canned stuff to be honest.
    This thread is currently associated with: N/A
    Apply every possible promo code to your cart, at every store that you visit (and get points for cash back on top of that?). It's sweet and easy with HONEY.

Always use Ebates and get cash back at over 600 online stores! Use this link to get $5, FREE

CaNewbie
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

Thanks for the info, was wondering. I buy the same to make from scratch and takes not a whole lot longer....and always tastes way better.

CaLoonie
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

I tried the vegetable soup and it tasted like indian curry. Definitely was not expecting that. I didn't add the fresh vegetables and I'm glad I didn't because it would've been a waste. I will not waste my money on trying another one of these!
    macw1960 and torontogal12 like this.

Trading Score
    321 (100%)

I prefer to make my soup from scratch, much healthier and I know what is in it.

No act of kindness, no matter how small, is ever forgotten...Aesop

Trading Score
    26 (100%)

DH make such good beans soups, why bother....and i make pretty yummy lentil soups...

both for many portions and with a slice of belgian, italian or ciabatta bread and a piece of cheeze i just can say....WOW
    Last edited by Mia001; Wed, Jan 20th, 2016 at 01:09 PM.
    macw1960 and torontogal12 like this.
    Thank's to DH who told me the grumpy Garfield was not at all representative of who i am

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    30 (100%)

If you had to buy beef, veg. n broth what exactly did the kit contain?
    ROMEO, macw1960 and samm07 like this.

Canadian Guru
    Trading Score
    159 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by barbs View Post
    If you had to buy beef, veg. n broth what exactly did the kit contain?
    Not much. Soup mix, barley, a few dehydrated vegetables
    ROMEO and macw1960 like this.
    Apply every possible promo code to your cart, at every store that you visit (and get points for cash back on top of that?). It's sweet and easy with HONEY.

Always use Ebates and get cash back at over 600 online stores! Use this link to get $5, FREE

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    98 (100%)

I doubt it would limit salt either... If there was powder of any kind or seasonings it's probably loaded with sodium too. That's just a guess, however as I haven't (nor will I) buy it. I don't get this product at all.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    macw1960 likes this.

Trading Score
    124 (100%)

thanks for the review. I bought a thai curry one to try. Will post review later. I did not read the kit closely but if it's like the one OP used then i'll have to get other ingredients which defeats the whole point of it being convenience.
    GoJays and macw1960 like this.

Trading Score
    3 (100%)

I was all set to purchase a package when I took a closer look at the front of it. Right back on the shelf it went. I think Campbell's came out with these not as a matter of convenience but rather for people who don't know how to cook and want to feel that they made a soup from "scratch."

Sith Lady and Cool Kid Darth Penguin's Avatar
    Trading Score
    20 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by GoJays View Post
    I was all set to purchase a package when I took a closer look at the front of it. Right back on the shelf it went. I think Campbell's came out with these not as a matter of convenience but rather for people who don't know how to cook and want to feel that they made a soup from "scratch."
    Yeah..I did the same. I'm the only person in the house who really eats soup so I thought it might be useful to me...
    GoJays and macw1960 like this.

Short answer : no Long answer : NOOOOOOOOOOO!

Welcome to the Penguinocracy..One Penguin, One vote..I am The Penguin..I have the One Vote

Thread Information