User Tag List

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast
Like Tree191Likes

Thread: Internet with Teksavvy, Start, etc.

Frosh Canuck
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

To each their own, but if you go with a smaller company read that fine print and get reviews / opinions from other users. It all depends on how much you use the internet, but if you have game systems, phones, laptops, streaming boxes etc you need that unlimited download / speed at a fair price.
    barbis9 and Davetherave like this.

Trading Score
    173 (100%)

I know more people who have had issues with the big 3 compared to Teksavvy, admittedly they have more customers to make complaints but they are also charging twice as much so you expect more.

I have a friend who is still with Cogeco cable and hers goes down at least once a month and they never offer her a discount for it. A forum member has had issues with Bell internet constantly telling her they went over the plan, including a month where they were travelling and actually disconnected the modem to make sure no one was stealing wifi. There will be bad reviews no matter which company you look into.
    anisa and barbis9 like this.
    Make an easy $20+ per month with Swagbucks - watch videos, search, play games & get paid!
    ~ ~ ~
    Save while shopping online with cashback from ebates
    Get cash rebates when you buy from amazon.ca, Old Navy and more - get paid by cheque or paypal!

Trading Score
    20 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by dyalect View Post
    To each their own, but if you go with a smaller company read that fine print and get reviews / opinions from other users. It all depends on how much you use the internet, but if you have game systems, phones, laptops, streaming boxes etc you need that unlimited download / speed at a fair price.
    get reviews / opinions from other users
    - Precisely the purpose of this thread.

if you have game systems, phones, laptops, streaming boxes etc you need that unlimited download / speed at a fair price
    - read my post. The only streaming happening in the house is my 8 year old son's Zelda and Pokemon youtube viewing.

barbis9 likes this.
    In 2020 I had 100 FREE Grocery pickups! Subscribe to PC Optimum Insiders & get 25,000 PC Optimum pts
    Get 10% back in points on all PC products - Free PC Express pickup with priority time slots - Free shipping with no minimum spend on joefresh.com and shoppersdrugmart.ca
    R
    eferral code to sign up: AN1455

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

We've either used or are using a variety of providers at various family homes. It all depends on the speed & usage you're needing. In most cases, our family prefer unlimited usage. These are reliable & cost effective providers we use for your comparison
    - start.ca
    - distributel
    - carrytel
    - teksavvy

We also used Bell & Rogers, only when you they have promos, and then move on to the next better price provider when Bell/Roger's promos end. In comparison to these big guys, in our physical location (Scarborough), Bell's quality was superior compared to Rogers. We didn't like both their annual fee increase. In the case of Rogers, the annual negotiations for better prices is a bit of a hassle.
    Last edited by rockco; Sat, Nov 26th, 2016 at 03:05 PM.

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    3 (100%)

My Cogeco has increased. I had basic telephone and low internet usage (up to 95GB) for $62 a month and now it is up to $77. Any thoughts? These prices include taxes.
    Last edited by barbis9; Sun, Nov 27th, 2016 at 01:39 PM.
    ROMEO likes this.

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

Quote Originally Posted by barbis9 View Post
    My Cogeco has increased. I had basic telephone and low internet usage (up to 95GB) for $62 a month and now it is up to $77. Any thoughts? These prices include taxes.
    @barbis9 , here's a suggestion for your assessment:

I always avoid bundling of services cause in the end, its not cheaper.

For internet phone, move to using an Obihai adapter (Obi200 Obi202). We used to use MagicJack, but more expensive once you factor in the $10 USD Cdn line fee. We've also found degradation in quality of the VOIP lines. The Obi200 adapter supports multiple VOIP services (we use Anveo), including Google's free for outbound calls. So you simply need to pay the VOIP service for inbound calls or go with a bundled VOIP package. The service works with powered phones and non powered phones (which we would use in the event of power outage). As always, any time you use VOIP (internet phone), you should always have your internet modem/router plugged into a back-up battery power bar. These power bars will hold charge up to 6-8 hours during power outage - thus, you have internet during power outage. The adapter handles faxes as well. VOIP IP adapters are portable.

Read about Obihai https://www.obitalk.com/obinet/

Next, investigate the lowest internet usage service in your area. Seems speed of 15mbps is all you need with 200 or less of usage. But compare prices for speed & usage, so you get more for paying the same price. Forum members above have listed some good Internet Providers to investigate.

(I personally pay $40 for 50 FTTN (=Bell Fibe) Unlimited @ Carrytel - maximum service, minimal price. And for the Anveo monthly VOIP service, we pay $2.50 per month.)

Separating your VOIP phone service from your internet service, means more flexibility to move to different Internet Providers as better prices are offered.

This year, Bell & Rogers have been offering bundled deals on a 2-3 year term, which sounds really good, but they all have high termination fees clauses. Avoid them ...

Hope this helps in your evaluation.
    Last edited by rockco; Sun, Nov 27th, 2016 at 03:32 PM. Reason: added termination note

CaNewbie
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

Quote Originally Posted by rockco View Post
    This year, Bell & Rogers have been offering bundled deals on a 2-3 year term, which sounds really good, but they all have high termination fees clauses. Avoid them ...
    Bundling isn't that bad, nor is the high termination fees if you have every expectation to maintain service - I'm paying $99/month to Rogers for unlimited gigabit internet, pretty much every tv channel (including TMN, HBO), NHL Gamecenter, and as of Dec 1 Netflix. It's more then I need sure, but far as i'm concerned that's a great bundle. (phoneline btw is an obihai ata with freephoneline.ca, $0/month)
    ROMEO, barbis9, rockco and 1 others like this.

Know what matters...
    Trading Score
    21 (100%)

Thanks for this thread, Anisa. I am also looking to change providers. I hope you don’t mind my comments and questions below - I hope I’m not guilty of hijacking your thread

I'm with Bell for phone (landline) and internet and had planned to change providers by end of summer but life got in the way. I turned down a promo from Bell that would have saved me about $500 a year for 2-3 years because I don't want to deal with them anymore. Between the 2 services, they raised my rates 6 or 7 times last year in a 6-month period.

I appreciate all the feedback about TS, since they are one of the companies I’m considering. I have to admit that the up-front costs of changing to another provider is discouraging. With TS I would need to buy a modem and a telephone adapter, pay an activation fee, and pay for shipping (x2 if they ship the items separately). So it will be about 8 months before I feel a difference in my wallet from what I’m paying now. After that I’m sure I would be ecstatic

But my biggest concern has been about getting VOIP because I don't have a cell phone - and I understand that with VOIP if you call 911 they won’t know your exact location. Is that right? Has this been a problem for anyone?

Silk
    Last edited by Silk; Mon, Nov 28th, 2016 at 02:12 AM.
    anisa, ROMEO, barbis9 and 3 others like this.

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    170 (100%)

I have a magicjack and I can tell the system my location and I can even take the magicjack with me and add a new 911 location if needed. I do also have a speakout pay as you go cellphone that I sometimes need for quick calls and could always use that for 911. Any cell phone will work for 911, you don't have to have minutes on it to call 911. See if someone you know has an old one and keep it around for emergencies. It is a safer idea because if the internet goes out you have no way to call for help.

I call so little on my phone that I use about $25 a year and as long as I top it up once a year the balance rolls over. It is worth the piece of mind
    anisa, ROMEO, Silk and 3 others like this.
    Swagbucks- http://www.swagbucks.com/refer/mom2teens

Carrot Rewards Promo Code: kerryj6770

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    3 (100%)

Sorry if I hijacked the thread too
    anisa, Silk, rockco and 1 others like this.

CaNewbie
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

Quote Originally Posted by Silk View Post
    But my biggest concern has been about getting VOIP because I don't have a cell phone - and I understand that with VOIP if you call 911 they won’t know your exact location. Is that right? Has this been a problem for anyone?
    911 is probably one of the biggest concerns people have with VOIP, though as long as you have a clear understanding of how/when it won't work, it's not really an issue.

911 with VOIP is dependent on several things: Most importantly, if the power is out or your internet connection isn't working, the phone isn't going to work either. If the phone isn't working, you can't call 911.

Assuming neither of those is an issue, depending on your VOIP provider, did you ever configure 911 to work? Unlike landlines, it's not something that works -just because-. You have to set it up first. The correct location is the first thing: An address needs to be on record with the provider for emergency service (in the event for example that you're unable to speak after calling 911). Your ATA also (analog telephone adapter), the equipment in your home that routes the VOIP calls, also needs to have 911 properly configured on it as a valid telephone number. The above isn't complex, but you have to set it up.

Just as an aside to that: I've seen countless people that only have cordless phones (no wired). Ever think about how they call 911 if the power goes out?
    anisa, kerrylj, Silk and 2 others like this.

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

Anisa , thanks for starting the dialogue. Lots of good information posted by forum members for us all to refresh upon.
    Silk, carlyincanada and dededi like this.

Canadian Guru
    Trading Score
    46 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by barbis9 View Post
    If the basic telephone line is the POTS old fashioned regular landline, you will pretty much pay the same with others for internet and regular landline. Some people want the old lines with Bell etc and don't want internet VOIP phone landline.

For 911, power outage, internet is down, the old fashioned phone line still works and is better, VOIP might not. Generally senior citizens like that, mostly for emergency.

But if you go for a VOIP phone line, you will pay much cheaper for a phone line and internet combined, plus you will get lot of features like call display, voice mail, call waiting etc. Genreally you only pay for the internet in this case and they throw in the VOIP phone line with features for free.

you can easily get both combined for $ 50. (Internet + VOIP phone landline)
    anisa and Silk like this.

Canadian Guru
    Trading Score
    46 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by Silk View Post
    Thanks for this thread, Anisa. I am also looking to change providers. I hope you don’t mind my comments and questions below - I hope I’m not guilty of hijacking your thread

I'm with Bell for phone (landline) and internet and had planned to change providers by end of summer but life got in the way. I turned down a promo from Bell that would have saved me about $500 a year for 2-3 years because I don't want to deal with them anymore. Between the 2 services, they raised my rates 6 or 7 times last year in a 6-month period.

I appreciate all the feedback about TS, since they are one of the companies I’m considering. I have to admit that the up-front costs of changing to another provider is discouraging. With TS I would need to buy a modem and a telephone adapter, pay an activation fee, and pay for shipping (x2 if they ship the items separately). So it will be about 8 months before I feel a difference in my wallet from what I’m paying now. After that I’m sure I would be ecstatic

Silk
    They will know the exact location provided you have updated and given them accurate address in their database. So you have to make sure that the VOIP guys haven't screwd up and have the exact addy on the file.

sometimes people move and take their VOIP phone with them as it can be accessed from any where, and don't bother updating their addy with the VOIP guys.

1. In case of power outage VOIP won't work, but you have UPS - Uniterrupted Power Supply for that. Its a small unit just attached to electrical devices, kind of like a battery to provide power, when power goes off.

2. You can dial 911 even from an inactive cell phone. You don't need a plan or payment or anything. So if you have a handset lying around you can just call from that. I was told you don't even need an inactive SIM card inside for 911 calls from a cell phone. Just the empty handset, that's all, no plan, no fees, no provider nothing.
    anisa and Silk like this.

Trading Score
    1 (100%)

I think the major downside to smaller ISP such as Teksavvy is that they don't provide modems. You're looking at an upfront cost of at least $100. At a $10/month saving, you will recuperate in 1-2 years. But by then, your modem will be out of date.

I've been using Rogers for 16 years. My uncles and cousins keep telling me to switch. They are a lot older than me, so our needs are different. We are avid gamers, speed and ping rate are important. They pay about $35-45 a month for unlimited usage, but at 15 MB speed. It feels dreadfully slower because they are still using old 2.4G modems. (Once you buy, you won't feel like upgrading.) Isn't even compatible with Chromecast!

With Rogers, I'm currently paying $50/month on 60 MB/200 GB limit + free Shomi. I call in every year to "Price Match" it with other companies. They usually top the deal with additional $5 discount for first 3 months.

Virgin Mobile is now offering 3 months free home internet, then $45/month for 2 years for members (standard price $50). It's 25MB/300GB limit.

I feel that people who goes with Teksavvy have less demand on the internet itself - steaming a lot of videos but little upload, at least not the quick gaming data. And when you buy a modem, you will get the Ikea-effect, so you'd end up a lot happier.
    Last edited by EvilTofu; Wed, Nov 30th, 2016 at 05:22 PM.
    anisa, Silk, carlyincanada and 1 others like this.

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Thread Information