User Tag List

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast
Like Tree191Likes

Thread: Internet with Teksavvy, Start, etc.

Trading Score
    20 (100%)

Speedtests are great, but I don't know anyone in St. Catharines for them to give me some feedback on local speed trends before we move there next month.

Right now, I think I may go with DSL, although the past few years I have had cable and no issues with it really. I am thinking of modem placement in the new house, and I think placememt of the modem on a DSL line might work better for me. plus it is a teeny bit cheaper, and the modem they offer is a wifi one. The cable modem they are offering is not a wifi one, and with organizing a move, in winter, middle of the school year, so many things to deal with right now, I will likely go with a reasonable but easy choice for the time being I don't feel like fussing with finding a dif. modem or fiddling with a router.
    Silk and carlyincanada like this.
    In 2020 I had 100 FREE Grocery pickups! Subscribe to PC Optimum Insiders & get 25,000 PC Optimum pts
    Get 10% back in points on all PC products - Free PC Express pickup with priority time slots - Free shipping with no minimum spend on joefresh.com and shoppersdrugmart.ca
    R
    eferral code to sign up: AN1455

Canadian Guru
    Trading Score
    46 (100%)

TekSavvy plans to up internet speeds and lower prices in January

http://mobilesyrup.com/2016/12/20/te...es-in-january/

Even existing customer's will see an automatic discount.
    Silk, carlyincanada and lucy16076 like this.

Trading Score
    173 (100%)

Yes, they already emailed me, we will save about $4-5 a month starting mid Jan. It is rare you get notice that you will save money on a bill!

Quote Originally Posted by tjthemanto View Post
    TekSavvy plans to up internet speeds and lower prices in January

http://mobilesyrup.com/2016/12/20/te...es-in-january/

Even existing customer's will see an automatic discount.
    Silk and carlyincanada like this.
    Make an easy $20+ per month with Swagbucks - watch videos, search, play games & get paid!
    ~ ~ ~
    Save while shopping online with cashback from ebates
    Get cash rebates when you buy from amazon.ca, Old Navy and more - get paid by cheque or paypal!

Know what matters...
    Trading Score
    21 (100%)

^ Very cool.

Silk

Trading Score
    0 (0%)

Do NOT use Teksavvy. They are slow and don't have 24/7 support. Use Cogeco. You do not need unlimited like I have. However you can get 275 GBS or less with them on a good speed like say 60 which I have. Also since you don't have or want cable, download Kodi or Free Telly which you can watch on your computer. Free movies and music.
    Davetherave likes this.

no more door to door! :) walkonby's Avatar
    Trading Score
    24 (100%)

We have never experienced " slowness " with Teksavvy. I guess it depends on what area you live in.

babies teach us acceptance

Trading Score
    0 (0%)

The people that I know that were on Teksavvy live in St. Catharines.

Trading Score
    0 (0%)

Here are their speeds which they are calling High Speed and they are not high speed except the 50 one which isn't available where I live. Only their slowest one is.
    https://teksavvy.com/en/residential/internet/dsl
    Last edited by Hoser; Wed, Jan 11th, 2017 at 05:23 PM.

Trading Score
    0 (0%)

Just entered a postal code for St. Catharines. You can get speeds of 25 for $41.99 but not the fastest one. 25 is okay if you don't do a lot of downloading. Not sure what bandwidth you are allowed. Cogeco you can get their UltraFibre 60 which allows 275 gbs per month and will cost only $38.95 for the first 6 months then it goes up to $79.95 or you can pick a slower speed so you don't have to worry about a big increase in price.
    Call us now:
    1-866-261-4447

https://www.cogeco.ca/web/on/en/resi...kages/compare/

Trading Score
    173 (100%)

Even with high speed, most downloads are limited by the server you are downloading from. We have a super high speed 100 connection at work but the download speed for files is only slightly faster because where they are saved doesn't have 100 connection.
    It sounds like Anisa doesn't download a lot anyway, so cost may be a bigger factor than seconds to minutes saved on downloads
    anisa likes this.
    Make an easy $20+ per month with Swagbucks - watch videos, search, play games & get paid!
    ~ ~ ~
    Get cash rebates when you buy from amazon.ca, Old Navy and more - get paid by cheque or paypal!

Trading Score
    0 (0%)

Yes but you buy cheap, you get cheap. You can't go too low and you also want tech support to be there when you need them 24/7. Even doing Windows Updates can take forever if you have too slow a speed and aren't on top of them so if you get too slow a speed ( I would not get under 25 or it will be like dial-up) then it will be like dial-up. Also I am saying that the speeds Teksavvy says are high speed are not. She can get Cogeco's UltraFibre 40 (Not unlimited) for $28.95 for 6 months. I think that is with 3 services though.Download speed up to:
    40 Mbps
    Monthly usage:

• 175 GB

Trading Score
    173 (100%)

Yes, but in the OP, they mention using MagicJack for phone and antenna for TV so no bundling, so $44.95 as the intro price with Cogeco then double that. Cable 50 from Teksavvy is cheaper than the ongoing price from Cogeco. Personally, I have had more issues with Cogeco's CS than Teksavvy. Cogeco may answer the phone at 2am but they will still tell you they can't get someone out to look at the connection til next day. I realize that will not be the case for everyone but you couldn't pay me to go back to Cogeco

And 25mbps is hardly dialup, I downloaded a 187MB file today in 3.5 minutes on my phone which maxes out at about 15 based on previous speed tests. Most (non movie length) video files would be around that size.
    anisa, Silk, carlyincanada and 1 others like this.
    ~ ~ ~

Trading Score
    0 (0%)

Each to their own but I like Cogeco. No 25mbps is not dial-up but it is hardly HIGH SPEED which is what they are calling it. Takes me less than a minute to download a file that size and if you are doing a lot of Windows Updates as I mentioned, 25 mbps takes a long time because a lot of times there are gb's with Windows Updates. As far as Cogeco goes, you can re-negotiate contracts when they expire by talking to the promotional dept. and NEVER have to pay full price. I do this for a friends account I have access to and my Dads and mine. We save tons. Don't think you can re-negotiate like that with TekSavvy. And Magic Jack works for some but not others. I know someone that was on TekSavvy and using Magic Jack. If the Internet goes down, your phone does too and you better have a cell phone to try and reach places then like Magic Jack for help.
    However, whatever the OP does, I do not suggest Bell. Although the phone might never go down, they overcharge. I can tell a ton of horror stories about Bell including issues I have had when I tried them years ago.
    Last edited by Hoser; Fri, Jan 13th, 2017 at 08:48 PM.

Trading Score
    0 (0%)

Oh and a lot of talk about speed tests. They good to check to see if you are getting the promised speeds you are paying for but it is of no good to her now because she can't check anything with various companies that way unless she is already on them. However this is the most popular site to check your download and upload speeds presently:
    http://www.speedtest.net/

Just be sure to not be doing anything else when you do this test. Also if you think it is inaccurate, reboot and do it again then try another speed test site and or another browser. I hope that soon you can make a decision on who you will be going with and whoever you choose I hope it all works out. Just be sure to check your contract details and cancellation options and or charges. Usually with all of them you have to give 30 days.

I just did a speed test. I believe I am paying for a download speed of 60. Mine just hit 71.18 Mbps with an upload speed of 12.11 Mbps. That is with Cogeco.
    Last edited by Hoser; Thu, Jan 19th, 2017 at 12:11 AM.

Trading Score
    20 (100%)

I have ended up going with a DSL and speed of 50. Hubby decided to have some input lol

as for tech support, I can count on one hand how many times I have had to rely on internet tech over the past 15 years. I don't need them 24/7 either. I figure they should be allowed to go to bed when I am in bed Fortunately I use my nights to sleep, so a 'normal' schedule suits me fine
    In 2020 I had 100 FREE Grocery pickups! Subscribe to PC Optimum Insiders & get 25,000 PC Optimum pts
    Get 10% back in points on all PC products - Free PC Express pickup with priority time slots - Free shipping with no minimum spend on joefresh.com and shoppersdrugmart.ca
    R
    eferral code to sign up: AN1455

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Thread Information