Like Tree6Likes
  • 3 Post By lll111
  • 1 Post By againmet
  • 1 Post By Shwa Girl

Thread: Nutrition Program at school

CaToonie
    Trading Score
    3 (100%)

The school my son goes to is doing the nutrition program recommended by the board. Since it is in the morning between 9 and morning recess.

Can anyone tell me what the portion sizes are and should I give less breakfast and no snack for first recess?

Thanks
    This thread is currently associated with: N/A
    ROMEO, Ciel and Shwa Girl like this.

CaNewbie
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

Ask to school authorities.
    Ciel likes this.

Trading Score
    7 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by lll111 View Post
    The school my son goes to is doing the nutrition program recommended by the board. Since it is in the morning between 9 and morning recess.

Can anyone tell me what the portion sizes are and should I give less breakfast and no snack for first recess?

Thanks
    Hi OP,
    I checked eatrightontario.ca.
    For breakfast they recommend lunches like:
    Sample lunch #1: Pepper strips with hummus dip, and cheese-filled pasta with tomato sauce.
    Sample lunch #2: Marinated cooked tofu in a whole wheat tortilla wrap with shredded lettuce and grated carrot. Add a fruit yogurt on the side.
    Sample lunch #3: Why not breakfast for lunch? Hot cereal in a thermos topped with frozen berries and sliced almonds with a cold milk or soy beverage.
    For snacks they recommend snacks like:
    As you plan snacks, think of them as a “mini meal” that includes two of the four food groups. Try these simple nutritious snack ideas:

• Whole grain crackers with a cheese stick.
    • Fresh cut fruit with a yogurt dip
    • Nut-free trail mix. Combine dried cranberries, raisins, dried apricots, and apple rings with sunflower and pumpkin seeds, along with your kid’s favourite cold cereal.
    • Yogurt tube and small oatmeal muffin
    Or you can call them at 1-877-510-510-2
    https://www.eatrightontario.ca/en/default.aspx
    Ciel likes this.

Trading Score
    12 (100%)

It's likely that the program is run by parent volunteers and is likely trays of cut up fruit and vegetables that students help themselves with unless the program is whole fruit and a beverage.

Visit the school board website or call the school for contact information regarding the program. There likely is a lead person for the program. I also think it is likely the daily nutrition offered will vary each day depending on what items are available/funding for items.

I'd advise you to give your son a breakfast and snack for recess. The reason the program is available to all students is that no adult really knows which students may not have had breakfast at home and it allows all kids to participate without barriers. Plus some students may desire the extra nutrition if they feel hungry or are very active.
    2021-Bring on the sunshine, sweets & online shopping.

Thread Information