User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree15Likes

Thread: Problem with the battery of my portable computer(dont charging)

Trading Score
    40 (98%)

Stupid pc computer.I unplugged the battery to do some work outside with the pc and now the battery dont want to recharge it is only at 73% grrrr ......I dont know what is the problem but it suck

Any help or advices would be appreciated
    This thread is currently associated with: N/A
    Shwa Girl likes this.
    The goal is to live day by day not to much thinking hahaha !!!!
    I love to save money!!! Frugal life hahaah !!!

Trading Score
    7 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by cath007 View Post
    Stupid pc computer.I unplugged the battery to do some work outside with the pc and now the battery dont want to recharge it is only at 73% grrrr ......I dont know what is the problem but it suck

Any help or advices would be appreciated
    If you need a new battery, check the price online (Staples, Best Buy etc). If the battery is too expensive and the PC is old, it may be more cost effective to save for a new one, and use the library's internet for a while
    cath007 likes this.

CaNewbie
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

You do not say how old the PC/laptop (?) is nor what sort of battery. If an old NiCad battery (very old system without a Lithium Ion battery) then it may be the case that the battery needs to be fully drained and then recharged to full. Not really sure. This article discussing the phenomenon ... good luck!

https://www.ricksdailytips.com/recha...aptop-battery/
    cath007 likes this.

Trading Score
    40 (98%)

I have this pc computer since 4 years but bought it from second hand and dont know the real year(pawn shop purchase) I put 100$ in repairs last summer and it was good.Now since yesterday when I did work without the charge in it dont charging,He is at 73% and still mark in charge but Nothing happen.I will use it until it last.Thanks for yours advices.

Trading Score
    40 (98%)

The brand is Asus

CaNewbie
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

It is likely a newer system and maybe the battery is just old. I know when I worked in IT that even on newer laptops after a few years the batteries just would wear out. I hope it lasts for you a long time - even at 73% Bonne Chance!
    cath007 likes this.

Trading Score
    40 (98%)

Look like the battery is on processing of charging yay!!!!

CaNewbie
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

Quote Originally Posted by cath007 View Post
    Look like the battery is on processing of charging yay!!!!
    Excellent! I agree with the YAY! Maybe it was tired from the bad weather
    cath007 likes this.

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

I work in IT, and 90% of our devices in our organization are laptops. Sometimes the battery can come loose or shift slightly from the contacts. Ejecting the battery and re-attaching it usually solves most of the "not charging" issues, especially if the battery has some life in it.

Another reason why it reports as "not charging" stems from the AC adapter. If it's not outputting the proper power (and/or the 'brick' part of the adapter is quite hot) it will refrain from charging as to not overheat the adapter further. If you were outside and the adapter (the brick) was in direct sunlight or near some other heat source, this could also prevent your laptop from charging. It will provide enough power to use the laptop and you may or may not see a depletion in the battery.

Sounds like you probably got it sorted out now, just the same.
    barbis9, cath007 and Bronwen like this.

Trading Score
    40 (98%)

Quote Originally Posted by bhlombardy View Post
    I work in IT, and 90% of our devices in our organization are laptops. Sometimes the battery can come loose or shift slightly from the contacts. Ejecting the battery and re-attaching it usually solves most of the "not charging" issues, especially if the battery has some life in it.

Another reason why it reports as "not charging" stems from the AC adapter. If it's not outputting the proper power (and/or the 'brick' part of the adapter is quite hot) it will refrain from charging as to not overheat the adapter further. If you were outside and the adapter (the brick) was in direct sunlight or near some other heat source, this could also prevent your laptop from charging. It will provide enough power to use the laptop and you may or may not see a depletion in the battery.

Sounds like you probably got it sorted out now, just the same.
    Thank you for all the advices!!!

Trading Score
    82 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by bhlombardy View Post
    After a Windows Update, my battery is shown at "0% available (plugged in, charging)" -- but does not charge, stays at 0%.

Any tips or suggestions ?
    cath007 likes this.

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

Quote Originally Posted by ClipClap View Post
    After a Windows Update, my battery is shown at "0% available (plugged in, charging)" -- but does not charge, stays at 0%.
    Any tips or suggestions ?
    I dont know if I could blame the Windows Update on that... (not ruling it out 100% but I havent seen a Windows Update change the battery state before).

FIRST: Is your battery ACTUALLY dead? It could be just reporting incorrectly -- Try using it with the battery only, and the Adapter unplugged -- if only for a few minutes. If it still has a charge you know that the on-screen reporting is incorrect (0% should mean it's dead, but if there's power, you know it's fine). However, if it's not powering on, then you might have a battery or adapter issue... but read on.

SECOND: Regardless... power down, and then remove the battery as well. If you can see the contacts where the battery connects on the laptop and on the battery make sure none of them are broken or bent. Next: With NO adapter and NO battery attached, hold the power button in for about 20-30 seconds. Yea, I know, it wont turn on... But if there is any residual charge left in any of the capacitors this should purge them.

Also, if there was any static charge built up between the battery and laptop contacts, removing the battery and holding the power button as mentioned should discharge that as well.

Then reseat the battery, and plug in the AC adapter again.

If it still reports a problem, you might have a faulty battery and/or adapter. (See my original post regarding the adapter conditions)

--------------

FINALLY: If there are multiple laptops in your house, check and be sure you have the proper adapter for your model. Even adapters from the same brand may differ... even if they 'seem' to work.

For example: In my organization we have 6 models of HP laptops used by our staff. Among those 6 models, there are 3 different types of adapters with different power ratings... a 90watt, 65watt, and 45watt. -- A higher wattage adapter (of the same voltage) will work on a laptop that requires less but not the other way around... That is to say: The 90w adapter works on all of our HP models... but the 45w adapter only works on the laptop models supplied with a 45w, (although it might power the other laptops, it won't charge them). So when staff members accidentally swap between 90w and 45w adapters, one person will continue to work, the other won't.

The same holds true across many other brands, not just HP. Dell (as another example) has different rated adapters as well -- So again, if you have multiple laptops in your house, make sure you are using the right adapter for your model.

ALSO: Despite the power rating, some brands will physically connect to a different brand, but wont charge either... For example: Dell adapters fit many HP laptops... and vice-versa, They may provide power but they will not charge batteries on the wrong brand.

If either of the above is the case, once you sort out which adapter belongs to which model, put your name on yours so as to avoid future confusion. (I do this with my staff)

Barring any of the above, if all else fails, check for Windows Updates again (there may be corrective update for your model if indeed that may have caused the probelm) or check with your manufacturer
    Last edited by bhlombardy; Sat, Apr 28th, 2018 at 03:28 AM.
    walkonby and cath007 like this.

Trading Score
    1 (100%)

interesting..i sometimes have that same notice...battery is shown as 0% available, plugged in & charging. i think its the adapter.

so today i picked up a universal adaptor for a few bucks, but noticed that its only 40wts. its for a smaller laptop, would this be dangerous to use on a typical laptop?

https://www.amazon.ca/Battery-Biz-Du.../dp/B003VQWQL6
    dededi likes this.

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

Quote Originally Posted by Linda Evans View Post
    interesting..i sometimes have that same notice...battery is shown as 0% available, plugged in & charging. i think its the adapter.
    so today i picked up a universal adaptor for a few bucks, but noticed that its only 40wts. its for a smaller laptop, would this be dangerous to use on a typical laptop?
    https://www.amazon.ca/Battery-Biz-Du.../dp/B003VQWQL6

"Dangerous" ? -- not likely... and it's hard to say what a "typical" laptop would be.... but here's how I would define "dangerous":

Physcially Dangerous... to the laptop and/or battery? Not at all. Regardless of voltage, adapter either supplies enough wattage, or it doesnt. As long as the Voltage matches what your laptop needs (and the one you showed me is 19.5volts) you'll be safe. (if your laptop requires LESS voltage, like 12v or some such then be sure the adapter will step down... the one you linked to seems to do that)

Physically Dangerous... to the adapter/charger? Maybe. Here's why:

(Sorry for getting a bit technical, but it's better to understand the "Why" )

The laptop (or any electronic device for that matter) will attempt to draw power at the rate (referred to as 'current'... measured in Amperes, or "AMPs"...) it requires to operate. The fine print on most adapters will be the voltage and Amps. If your device (laptop, phone, tablet, etc) requires a consistent "current", it will try to draw that current from the power adapter.
    [*SIDE NOTE: Wattage is the relationship between Voltage and Amps, so more wattage inherently means more Amps on the same voltage. Voltage X Amps = Watts]

In years past, if the device was asking for more current (amps) than the adapter could supply, then the adapter could/would overheat to a point where it was unbearable to touch, could/would burn out, and I've even witnessed one catch aflame. I wouldn't rule this possibility out as it's just pure physics... but it's less likely as today's devices (should) have protective circuitry that prevents that from happening. Instead of burning out, what you end up with is a device that doesnt work properly because the adapter can't/won't keep up with the demand.

The best analogy can come up with would be: Imagine you connecting a fire-house up to your garden faucet and expecting to actually get the force and pressure as if you hooked it up to a fire-hydrant. it just isnt going to work. While you might succeed in putting out a small flame, you arent going to douse a house-fire like that. -- NOW imagine the fire truck's pump-engine trying to suck that pressure (current) it wants from the plumbing in your house, and what effect that would have on your tiny, narrow copper pipes... it couldnt keep up with the demand and your plumping would fall apart.

EXAMPLE: Most people experience this when they plug a high-end smartphone or tablet into a charger meant for a lesser phone/device. The device either wont charge, or it charges VERY slowly (sometimes called a trickle charge). Typically (and numerically): Most modern smart phones/tablets want somewhere between 1 amps (written as 1Ah) and 2Ah to charge and operate properly. (you can see these figures in the fine print on the side of your charger). Whereas phones from a few years ago might only have required a half-amp... or 0.5Ah (or 500mAh, for mili-amps, as the metric system would have it read). If you try to use one of these chargers on a modern device, you wont get far charging it.
    [*SIDE NOTE #2: Computer USB ports, and many USB ports in vehicles only supply 500mAh... in case you were curious. USB3 ports, the blue ones, CAN supply 900mAh]

I wouldnt attempt to quantify what a typical laptop wants for amps, because it's far too varied for voltages and demands. The adapter you linked to above would supply 2 Amps at the full 19.5volts. If you have the original adapter, and wattage is not listed, then check for the Volts/Amps markings (that HAS to be on there, even if Wattage is not). if its 19.5v and less than 2amps, you're fine. If it's exactly 2 Amps, you're fringe, but probably fine.

----

Dangerous... in another sense

After all that long-winded explanation above... to answer your question: There is no "physical danger" that would cause damage but you might not get good/proper/expected results. If the laptop doesnt perform properly because of the lesser Wattage, the only "danger" might be to your data if the harddrive doesnt function the way it should because of reduced power it's getting (or not getting, as the case may be). This could cause data corruption... but shouldnt cause permanent harm to the device itself.

The lower-wattage adapter might work 'better' if you used the laptop without the battery attached. This way it's not demanding more current from the adapter by also wanting to charge AND operate at the same time. if you need the battery, then charge the battery while the laptop is turned off instead.

OK, I'm taking off my geek-hat for the rest of the evening, and getting some BBQ.
    Cheers
    Last edited by bhlombardy; Sat, Jul 28th, 2018 at 08:05 PM.
    kerrylj and Linda Evans like this.

CaNewbie
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

Now, many kinds of batteries have the same problem.
    dededi likes this.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information