• 1 Post By bhlombardy
  • 1 Post By majormom
  • 1 Post By kmontgom
  • 1 Post By Ciel

Thread: TD Canada Trust

CaToonie
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

I am so tired of waiting for TD Canada Trust to make things work. I have a Debit/Visa card that stopped working at gamestop in the US 2 years ago. Now it does not work at Target, 5 below, Dollar Genera (the list goes on). I was in Florida and going to pay using my debit card and they knew as soon as they saw it that it would not work with their debit machine. I contacted TD and get general responses that we will let our team know but they never do anything and it works in less and less places. They also refuse to allow Samsung Pay or Google Pay to use their cards. I have been with them for more than 25 years and think it is time to look for a new bank (I do all my banking there - chequing, visa, line of credit and mortage). They are also one of the only banks that charge a fee to switch your mortgage to another place even when it is due for renewal. I wish they would get with the times.
    This thread is currently associated with: EB Games, GameStop, Target
    Ciel likes this.

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

The problem with TD is on this side of the border too, but the flip side or in reverse (sort of).

First up, their debit machines at retail locations (such as Dairy Queen, comes to mind) you cant tap the pin pad, you have to tap a special tap-panel. First up, this is a damned nuisance at the drive through, but more importantly, it doesnt like NFC devices like smartphones and watches.

I have Samsung Pay on my Gear S3 watch and my phone (was an S8, recently an S9). Their TD terminals almost NEVER accept it on any of those three devices.
    (To be clear, I bank with RBC and Scotia, so my cards arent TD)

Forget that you cant even sign up for Samsung Pay with TD even a customer using what should be any other card *(mimicked on the mobile device) should work just like any other card.

Fortunately, the Samsung devices can trick a magstripe reader, so I go back to the pinpad, but ALWAYS with the TD tap-to-pay terminal.

If you're thinking of switching, Scotiabank seems to be the easiest to get connected to Samsung Pay -- with RBC a close second (they were a little late coming on board -- but they're here now).
    I do all of my banking with RBC and have for probably just as long as you've been with TD (close to 25 years)... Funny thing is I switched to RBC after a fight at a local Scotiabank branch. I'm only using a Scotiabank Visa now because of the perks associated with that particular card.
    Ciel likes this.

Frosh Canuck
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

I have the same issue. TD cannot fix it. They use the 'Plus' system (look at the back of your card) where other banks like BMO use Interac/Cirrus. This applies only to the Debit Cards, the Visa from TD does use Interac.

Some stores only take interact. I have had to use my BMO card or pay with Visa rather than debit when I did not want to for this reason.
    Ciel likes this.

CaToonie
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

As a side note my TD card will not work with TAP on TD terminals???
    Ciel likes this.

Trading Score
    12 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by kmontgom View Post
    As a side note my TD card will not work with TAP on TD terminals???
    Is there any possibility that your TD card has its chip shut off so the card only works in ATMs and at the bank counter? One of my bank cards (on Mom's account) I have the chip shut off so that I cannot pay with it at stores, only using the card at the bank's machines or at the counter. Or maybe the bank turned the chip off somehow.

As for the terminals-ask tellers if what features their terminals do allow bank customers to access? I am thinking along the lines that maybe the bank terminals are not offering all features, are not updated with latest software or other reason for keeping old technology around whilst pushing the latest tech/digital banking on customers.

Is there some text on the website about being able to use a TD Cdn funds card for US purchases? Or do you have to get a US funds TD account to overcome the purchase issues in the US? And how much would that cost?
    kmontgom likes this.
    2021-Bring on the sunshine, sweets & online shopping.

Trading Score
    12 (100%)

This link from the bank website notes the Ombudsman only gets involved in complaints meeting these criteria:
    https://www.td.com/to-our-customers/.../ombudsman.jsp
    2021-Bring on the sunshine, sweets & online shopping.

CaToonie
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

I can use the tap option almost everywhere unless it is a TD machine. My TD debit card did work in the US but now they have switched over to new terminals that use the chip and that is when the problem started. TD never seems to accept that they are the one with the problem. They try to blame it on the US banks but all other bank debit cards seem to work (most staff at the US stores know there is a problem with TD cards - they just call it the green Canadian card!).

Thread Information