User Tag List

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
Like Tree70Likes

Thread: What are your thanksgiving plants, if any

the beautiful Richelieu River Valley area of Quebec
    Trading Score
    73 (100%)

Well thanksgiving is right around the corner and yesterday the Quebec gov. is telling everyone to forget about having family gatherings for thanksgiving. The minister said that by taking this measure we would have a better chance of preventing the virus from spreading and maybe, just maybe, we would be able to get together at Christmas. Actually i highly doubt that!!!.

We have 2 birthdays coming up the beginning of October plus Thanksgiving. So we decided to do the b-days and thanksgiving next weekend before things get worse. We are 10 including all the grandkids, but 2 of the grandkids are under 12 so that would leave us with 8 so called adults. If worse comes to worse, we could spearate into groups, 1 group in the dining room and the other group on the patio (hopefully it wont rain or be too cold). This could be our last get together for a while.

I dont know what this season will bring but we did it last winter and spring so we can all do it again. I dont understand why Quebec is being hit hard again. The reason given by the Que Gov is that we are an extremely social people who gather together at the slightest chance. It is a part of our nature.

So what are you doing for Thanksgiving.
    This thread is currently associated with: Spring Shoes
    Last edited by SnowFlakey; Fri, Sep 25th, 2020 at 09:52 AM.
    cath007 and dededi like this.

Trading Score
    40 (98%)

Nothing special this year,,,maybe going to the orchard
    SnowFlakey likes this.
    The goal is to live day by day not to much thinking hahaha !!!!
    I love to save money!!! Frugal life hahaah !!!

Trading Score
    551 (100%)

I've got mums, asters and what's left of my cannas lol all jokes aside we will just have our dinner and relax

Sent from my SM-A705W using Tapatalk
    cath007 and SnowFlakey like this.
    JOIN NOW WIN BIG in the Survivor Pool starting in the Spring
    Season 40 Winners At War
    https://forum.smartcanucks.ca/435852...a/#post7022499

CaNewbie
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

I would like to gather my whole family at one table, but I am afraid that this is impossible. Everyone lives in different parts of the country, such trips are unlikely to be possible in the current situation.

Trading Score
    73 (100%)

No b-day celebrations or thanksgiving celebrations this fall. New Que Gov directives say we are not allowed to gather for at least the next 28 days. And hubby and i are in the red zone of Quebec, while the kids are still in the yellow or orange stage. So thats it for us this year.
    cath007 and Anna Michele like this.

Trading Score
    13 (100%)

It's 99% likely that our usual family dinner won't happen, which is especially sad since I think this will be the first time in at least 20 years. It's only 5-8 people, so we'd fall within the current guidelines, but this isn't exactly a great justification when it's obvious said guidelines aren't working so well.

Canadian Guru
    Trading Score
    65 (100%)

We will not be having a big family Thanksgiving dinner. My family that’s my DH and 2 DDS will celebrate by ourselves. It will be sad because my DH has 4 siblings and there families that usually celebrate together
    walkonby, cath007 and SnowFlakey like this.

no more door to door! :) walkonby's Avatar
    Trading Score
    24 (100%)

@flemeth ^^^ same here, wah!!!!!

babies teach us acceptance

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    1 (100%)

low key this year-my Mum is 88 and trying to avoid the littles who are in school and daycare-just in case.

Trading Score
    73 (100%)

Its so sad. Hubby and i will be celebrating together, no kids, no grandkids. We are such a close-knit family (i have no one on my side and hubby has 1 sister who lives in Ontario) so what we have is very very close and we get together all the time, just the 10 of us. But not this year because of the restrictions. all my grandkids are huggers, evey the boys who are at the age where they wouldnt be got dead hugging their parents, never mind their grandparents.

I actually have 5 turkeys (i definitely helped the turkey economy this year) and will be making the smallest one on Monday. And i guess i should be thankful that we are all healthy so far. But im really struggling with that. Anyway...........
    cath007 and Ciel21 like this.

Trading Score
    0 (0%)

Family has not discussed any specific Thanksgiving plans. I'd love to order a Longos meal for 2 but my GST credit will arrive a week too late for the order deadline of Oct.3.

I probably will look at my sheet pan recipe book for vegetable inspiration. I have seldom bought meat to cook for anything this year except burgers and tacos.

Those of you needing to plan for meals and can take advantage of grocery shopping online for your pantry needs, you might want to get going on those orders so you have them ready when you want to cook. Because flour and other baking needs might be hard to get among other needs.
    Last edited by Ciel21; Thu, Sep 23rd, 2021 at 11:21 PM.
    cath007 likes this.
    "This is the Way." The Mandalorian

Trading Score
    73 (100%)

As always Thanksgiving day celebrations are a big deal here. They are the start of Christmas shopping and planning. also we have 2 birthdays around the same date. DD's and GS1.

This year, since we are able to gather indoors with a certain amount of people, we will be celebrating the b-days next Sunday, Oct 3rd. There will be 12 of us at our DD's house. I told her to make something simple like Spaghetti and Meat Sauce, Cesar Salad and fresh baguettes. And i would bring the crudities and dip. And a crustade aux pommes and a small cake.

Then either on the 10th or the 11th of Oct, we will be celebrating Thanksgiving at DD's house again. Only this time everyone will be contributing to the food. She has to check with govt rules, but she is planning to have approx. 20 people. Thanksgiving is when we pick names for Secret Santa. Adults and working kids in one pile and kids in another pile. No one is left out.

There is so much food its unbelieveable. Turkey, mashed potatos, vegies, gravy, stuffing, cabbage rolls, cranberry sauce, rolls, marinades, salad, crudites and dips, cheeses, soft drinks and juices. We gave SIL a frozen duck and he said he would make it in the Smoker. Im looking forward to that. And then the desserts: crustades aux pommes, applie pies, and tartes aux sucre.

So two celebrations within 2 weeks of each other. We didnt have anything last year and it was dismal . I dont want to think about this but DD's FIL is in poor health having several bad epileptic seizures within the past couple of months. So we need some sort of celebration.
    cath007 and Ciel21 like this.

Trading Score
    0 (0%)

The turkey kit with gravy and 2 side dishes (picked kale and cannellini (white kidney beans) side as I don't recall having eaten kale, plus grilled veggies) will be enjoyed before the long weekend. Will think about dessert and possibly mashed potatoes. Just wanted for once to try the Longos turkey.

I'm the only one stuck eating stuffing if I make it fresh or from a box. No stuffing this year. Always good to vary the meal a little and try something new. I'd like to think of a conversational game to enjoy during dinner that relates to Thanksgiving.
    walkonby and cath007 like this.
    "This is the Way." The Mandalorian

Trading Score
    40 (98%)

Unfortunnatly or fortunannatly nothing planned ....
    I have some apples to cook up and do some recepies so that is my plan lool!!!! Go get some fresh air too!!!
    Last edited by cath007; Fri, Oct 8th, 2021 at 08:33 PM.
    SnowFlakey likes this.
    The goal is to live day by day not to much thinking hahaha !!!!
    I love to save money!!! Frugal life hahaah !!!

no more door to door! :) walkonby's Avatar
    Trading Score
    24 (100%)

We will now have a faux " early " Thanksgiving dinner on Thursday. Last minute delightful change, DD can be here, if only for the meal and a few hours after, then it's back to the grind for her.

Now my heart is full. Atm I have 3 sugar pumpkins baking, once they've cooled down I'll dice them into chunks and freeze in sandwich sized bags for DD to take back home with her. ( she uses that in so many recipes ).

I am also making 2 sort of new things, ( for late tonight when she arrives! ) a butternut squash ravioli, using fresh Olivieri lasagna sheets. Plop down the small scoops of filling on one layer, dip my finger in water and run it all around each bundle, lay the top sheet over to seal each ravioli, cut out each with my fancy pasta cutter wheel.
    Also a fresh batch of spring rolls! Filling them with cooked ground pork mixed with chopped spaghetti squash, fine diced green onion, celery leaves, soy sauce and rice vinegar. Mmmm.

babies teach us acceptance

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread Information