User Tag List

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast
Like Tree71Likes

Thread: CRA : NETFILE opens on Monday - February 22, 2021

Canadian Guru
    Trading Score
    46 (100%)

CRA , Netfile opens on Monday - February 22, 2021.

My Timeline for this year - 2020 TAX year -

February 22, 2021 (Monday) - Netfiled

March 4, 2021 (Thursday) - NOA available online and Direct Deposit of tax Refund in the bank.

NOA - Notice Of Assessment

Used TURBO TAX to netfile the return.

---------
    If you have a Simple return, you can even do it over the phone.

No need for Netfile or Paper return. Just automated IVR system, where you Press 1, Press 2 etc and Key in return.

This thread is currently associated with: N/A
    Last edited by tjthemanto; Mon, Feb 22nd, 2021 at 08:48 AM.
    ROMEO, Purdee, Ciel and 2 others like this.

Trading Score
    12 (100%)

I'm still waiting for the CRA to mail my paper package. Rather late this year.
    ROMEO likes this.
    2021-Bring on the sunshine, sweets & online shopping.

Canadian Guru
    Trading Score
    46 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by Ciel View Post
    I'm still waiting for the CRA to mail my paper package. Rather late this year.
    350 Canada Post employees quarantined at the Mississauga CP facility. Major Covid outbreak there.

That's the LARGEST Canada Post processing facility in entire Canada, not just Ontario.

The Dixie and Eglinton one, close to Pearson airport in Toronto.

That could be the reason for the mail delay.

Mailed Packages probably come from Sudbury, Ottawa or something to GTHA. Might be stuck at Mississauga CP facility!
    Ciel and walkonby like this.

Canadian Guru
    Trading Score
    46 (100%)

Doesn't SDM - Canada Post locations or Service Canada locations carry CRA IT mail in packages anymore?

Or have they stopped it? I remember even public Libraries used to carry them.
    Ciel likes this.

Trading Score
    551 (100%)

Ty

Sent from my SM-A705W using Tapatalk
    ROMEO and Ciel like this.
    JOIN NOW WIN BIG in the Survivor Pool starting in the Spring
    Season 40 Winners At War
    https://forum.smartcanucks.ca/435852...a/#post7022499

Canadian Guru
    Trading Score
    46 (100%)

Lot of these Covid benefits like CERB and others if you took them they are taxable.

I think even EI is taxable & you get a T4 type tax slip for it.

So you will get tax slips like T4 for them from the federal government, so wait for them. Usually first week of February they are available online.

Lot of people are going to be surprised this year as they are probably taking Government benefits for the First time in their life and that too TAXABLE benefits!
    Ciel and Anna Michele like this.

Canadian Guru
    Trading Score
    46 (100%)

From CRA:

If you filed a paper return last year, we will mail you the
    2020 income tax package by February 19, 2021. The package has everything you need to file your taxes on time without having to leave the comfort of your home.

Last year, we received over 90% of tax returns electronically.

You can view and download copies of the income tax forms and schedules at canada.ca/taxes-general-package as of January 18, 2021.

Also, starting February 22, 2021, you can call the CRA at 1-855-330-3305 to order a copy. Your Social Insurance Number will be required.

Other ways you can file:

• The Community Volunteer Income Tax Program.If you have a modest income and a simple tax situation, a volunteer may be able to do your taxes for free. This year, volunteers may be able to complete and file your taxes virtually by videoconference, by phone, or through a document drop-off arrangement. For more information, go to canada.ca/taxes-help.

• File my Return. If you have a low or fixed income, you may be able to use File my Return. It's a service that lets you file your return by answering a series of short questions through a secure, dedicated, and automated telephone service. If you filed a paper return last year and are eligible to use File my Return, you will receive your personalized invitation letter with the 2020 Income tax package we will mail to you.
    • Starting February 22, 2021, you can use File my Return to quickly file your return by phone.

Last edited by tjthemanto; Thu, Jan 28th, 2021 at 02:14 AM.

Trading Score
    12 (100%)

@tjthemanto Last year, my local Shoppers Post office had a poster saying it would not have copies in its branch but that paper copies would be mailed by CRA if used the prior year or upon request. In the few larger Shoppers that might have had copies, it was a blink and you miss their going out the door scenario (late January appearance-there was a delay) and no restocks as far as I knew. I remember seeing empty spaces in those tax return boxes.

Thanks for the mailed package mailout dates.

Sadly, someone from the affected Canada Post facility in Mississauga has passed away from COVID-19.

Trading Score
    12 (100%)

I don't know which is the worse income tax bill shock-for those on EI who might have a little but not full amount of income taxes deducted from their cheques or the CERB recipients who did not have any income tax deducted at source from their benefit payments last year.
    Anna Michele likes this.

Canadian Guru
    Trading Score
    46 (100%)

If you have a Simple return, you can even do it over the phone.

No need for Netfile or Paper return. Just automated IVR system, where you Press 1, Press 2 etc and Key in return.
    Ciel likes this.

Canadian Guru
    Trading Score
    46 (100%)

@tjthemanto Last year, my local Shoppers Post office had a poster saying it would not have copies in its branch but that paper copies would be mailed by CRA if used the prior year or upon request. In the few larger Shoppers that might have had copies, it was a blink and you miss their going out the door scenario (late January appearance-there was a delay) and no restocks as far as I knew. I remember seeing empty spaces in those tax return boxes.

Thanks for the mailed package mailout dates.

Sadly, someone from the affected Canada Post facility in Mississauga has passed away from COVID-19.
    All the forms & packages are already available online in PDF Fill able format.

You need not print them, to save ink & paper.

Just fill them in PDF format and save them on your desktop, laptop or tablet to get a head start.

So when your mail in CRA package does arrive, you are ready to go.

You can just copy the figures with a Pen from the PDF fill able forms saved on your computer to the physical CRA mailed in forms and package.

Trading Score
    12 (100%)

Thanks for the tips, @tjthemanto ! I probably will take a turn trying out the forms and see what's new or the same!

Canadian Guru
    Trading Score
    46 (100%)

CRA & COVID-19

(How to Report Covid related benefits on your Tax return.)

T4A slips for 2020 tax year:

You will get a T4A slip from the CRA, if you received any of the COVID-19 emergency or recovery benefits from the CRA before December 31, 2020:

• Canada Emergency Response Benefit (CERB) with the CRA
    • Canada Emergency Student Benefit (CERB)
    • Canada Recovery Benefit (CRB)
    • Canada Recovery Caregiving Benefit (CRCB)
    • Canada Recovery Sickness Benefit (CRSB)

Quebec residents will get both a T4A and RL-1 slip.
    The CRA will provide T4A slips starting in January 2021. You should receive your T4A slip before March 10, 2021.
    The COVID-19 benefit payment amounts on your T4A slip are taxable and must be reported as income on line 13000 of your 2020 income tax and benefit return.
    You did not receive a T4A slip

If you received COVID-19 benefit payments in 2020, you should receive your T4A slip before March 10, 2021. You may also get your T4A information from CRA My Account.
    After March 10, 2021, if you still do not have your T4A slip information, contact the CRA.
    Situations where you would not get a T4A slip:

• If you applied for the CERB with Service Canada or any Employment Insurance (EI) benefit payments, you will receive a T4E slip.
    • If your employer received the Canada Emergency Wage Subsidy (CEWS) to cover part of your wages, the income you earned will appear on your regular T4 slip.

Issues with your T4A slip

Each COVID-19 benefit will have its own box number (Box 197 to 204) on your T4A slip. If you received more than one benefit with the CRA in 2020, check that each amount you received or repaid is correct.
    To confirm the COVID-19 benefit amounts you received, you can review “COVID-19 Support Payment Application Details” in CRA My Account.
    Call the CRA right away if:

• Your T4A slip shows incorrect amounts
    • You repaid benefit amounts before December 31, 2020, but the repayments are not reflected
    • Your T4A slip shows incorrect personal information
    • You did not apply for a COVID-19 benefit, but received a T4A slip

Telephone number: 1-800-959-8281(opens up phone application)
    How to report T4A amounts on your tax return

You will need to enter all COVID-19 benefit amounts you received (Box 197 to 204) from your T4A slip and provide the total amount on line 13000 - Other income of your 2020 income tax and benefit return.
    If you received a CRB, CRCB or CRSB, the CRA withheld a 10% tax at source on each payment. In addition to reporting the amounts on line 13000, you need to report the income tax deducted.
    You can find the income tax deducted at source in Box 022 of your T4A slip. Enter this amount on line 43700 - Total income tax deducted on your 2020 income tax .

Canadian Guru
    Trading Score
    46 (100%)

Thanks for the tips, @tjthemanto ! I probably will take a turn trying out the forms and see what's new or the same!
    You can use lot of Free tax software just to check your returns, need not netfile with them. Just use them and download the PDF return they generate on your desktop and copy the figures from them.

No need to Netfile or print and mail them.

Even paid software you can do that. They only charge you if you actually try to netfile with them. Otherwise the PDF return can be
    downloaded on your computer with a SAMPLE wording on it. Usually a watermark. So you can't mail that to CRA, but with hand you can copy numbers and figures from it.

Canadian Guru
    Trading Score
    46 (100%)

If anyone gets CERB or CRB - T4 slip in mail or in Online CRA My account - please let us know.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread Information