Takara Bune Japanese Restaurant

An unfamiliar name to non-Japanese speakers, Takara Bune is actually a good luck story found among the Japanese legends. Takara Bune refers to a ship at sea which Seven Lucky Gods entered and loaded with many treasures. The prevailing custom is that if a picture of this lucky ship is placed under one’s pillow and slept on for two nights after the New Year, you will have a good dream and a good thing will happen soon. A wonderful name!

And fittingly so. For Takara Bune meets that standard as an excellent restaurant, filled with delights that are reliably delicious every time I go, either with my wife or friends. The atmosphere is very nice, despite its location in a non-descript shopping plaza (that boasts Chuckie Cheese of all things!). The owner is also very kind and will do anything to make your visit special.

Takara Bune was renovated about 6-8 months ago and features pleasing Japanese décor and very comfy black leather chairs, as well as a great view of the chef as he prepares various seafood items, such as fresh succulent sushi and hand rolls. Personally, I recommend trying the Unagi (smoked eel).

But move over sushi, for one of my favourite appetizers or things to eat period is Takara’s soft shell crab! It is lightly breaded, fried and served with red wine vinegar and it is so scrumptious! The crab meat is sweet and the breading is crunchy and perfectly seasoned – the dipping sauce finds itself a perfect match for the entire dish. Softness, crunch, sweet, sour, salty. it's heaven.

Thank god two of these little yummies come on a plate – that foresight has likely saved a few marriages (ahem, speaking from personal experience!).

Now, edamame is also another nice appy to snack on and share with friends, essentially cooked soy beans that are lightly salted. As for mains, by all means go ahead and order the various bento boxes with terrific mouth-watering homemade Teriyaki seasoning (no store bought sauce here!), but Yakiniku, sliced beef and onion dish served with shredded cabbage and vegetables, is utterly divine.

Set Courses (a choice of meat or fish plus soup, salad, ice cream and rice) come with the chef’s Special Appetizer and this changes daily – sometimes a small seaweed salad, or pickled radish or octopus, but always fresh and delicious – and welcoming to your taste buds. It’s also a chance to try something you might not have thought to order. A great idea!

It also goes without saying that Takara Bune makes a really soul-satisfying miso soup – and let me tell you, it has regenerative powers that could put Humpty Dumpty back together again. Thankfully, it’s included in several of their combination meals, along with green tea ice cream (another must-try hit!). Their salad is also extremely fresh and arrives with a mouth-watering topping of home made miso dressing. (I've already told them they should sell it by the jar!)

Takara Bune is excellence in execution without pretense. Friendly, warm service with a smile, combined with simple, authentic and delicious home-made food makes this just the place!

Note: Japanese beer and sake is also available.

http://www.takarabunerestaurant.com/

Takara Bune Japanese Restaurant
2450 Sheppard Ave. East
Unit # 106
North York, Ontario
(416) 491-6688

Plus! Visit this URL to get a 10% coupon on your birthday:
http://www.takarabunerestaurant.com/onlinediscount.html