User Tag List

CaNewbie
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

Ouzeri Restaurant

Navigating the delightful bakeries and thriving sidewalk cafes that dot Toronto’s uniquely Greek Danforth Avenue, it’s always a challenge deciding where to dine. Will it be The Astoria? Christina’s? Ommonia? Or two dozen others!

In fact, it’s such an excellent culinary district to explore because of this very intense competition for the dining dollar.

And it seems every second shop has a sign outside claiming the best souvlaki and gyros in North America.

It’s too funny! And yet, make no mistake, Greek dining is serious business!

While you surely can’t go wrong at any of the above, Ouzeri is hands-down my favourite Greek culinary hot spot. It’s cozy, fun and casual family dining at its very best.

Over the 20 years or so my family has been going there, I’ve found its mouth-watering food and service as reliable as an English butler.

Once inside, there are a great many culinary delights to dance about on one’s tastebuds. One really must start with a their dips, including roasted eggplant, taramasolata (olive oil, lemon and caviar), hummus (chickpeas), tzatziki (a savoury thick and creamy garlic sauce made with cucumber) and Tirosalata - a spicy hot red feta dip that is ever so addictive.

Ouzeri's grilled calamari is fantastic and perfectly cooked (no gummy eats here!). You’ll never go back to heavily breaded calamari once you’ve tasted this fire-roasted treat, kissed with a wedge of lemon.

Now, pay good attention – for one item not to be missed on this culinary adventure, whether it’s a family dinner, a night out with friends or a first date (even better!) is saganaki. This consists of heaven-sent Greek Kasseri cheese, doused in ouzo and set aflame right as it’s brought to your table (have your camera handy). And I promise you, it’s every bit as delicious as the flambee is exciting!

(Hint: Men on a date: I'm not kidding, order this dish! For you’re sure to impress any gal with your worldly taste and sense of drama! Besides, it possesses certain aphrodesiac qualities ... or so I'm told.)

As for mains, the lamb souvlaki is the star of the menu: a fresh, delicious and succulent kebab, cooked to order from their kitchen grill! It’s served with a savoury dip of your choice, a Greek salad and a side of amazing roast potatoes that Zeus himself could not resist. Hungry yet?

And remember you're in Greektown, and that means every dish comes in generous portions! You'll always find great value here.

On a recent trip, one of my dinner partners went straight for the moussaka (a Greek dish made with eggplant, sautéed tomato and minced beef) and she really loved it!

Now, as far as Ouzeri’s name goes, it refers to the Greek liquor Ouzo. I tried it many years ago - it tastes a bit like anise or licorice. It may seem like an odd acquired taste, but the locals swear by it!

My only regret I have is they've stopped making their own pitas from scratch. They were to die for!

But if you’re up for a charming and affordable evening on the town, set the night on fire and make your destination Ouzeri!

500A Danforth Avenue
    (Danforth and Logan)
    Toronto, ON, M4K1P6
    (416) 778-0500
    http://www.ouzeri.com/
    This thread is currently associated with: N/A

CaNewbie
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

Wild! Google is displaying Greek restaurant ads at the top of the page. That was fast. Click and make Boo lots of money

Trading Score
    19 (100%)

omg, i gotta slow down when reading, i thought u said "GEEKTOWN"

(Hint: Men on a date: I'm not kidding, order this dish! For you’re sure to impress any gal with your worldly taste and sense of drama! Besides, it possesses certain aphrodesiac qualities ... or so I'm told.)
    did it work for you?

boo is supposed to be making a separate section for restaurant reviews :D

good stuff nw, good stuff!!!

and fyi, i'm not reading any more reviews at 3 am, when all the take out/delivery places in NS are closed
    Last edited by NSangel; Sun, Mar 22nd, 2009 at 02:19 AM.

will you be my friend? please? http://swagbucks.com/?cmd=sb-register&rb=298463

CaNewbie
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

Don't be silly, Angel. Of course it works! Why else do you think the Greek Empire lasted so long (no pun intended)? Next question!

Trading Score
    0 (0%)

oh my goodness there is so much good food on the Danforth. Thanks for the info.

Thread Information