User Tag List

Reviews Administrator
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

Will I used my SDM points and got a DS along with Brain Age #1. This was, of course, the Sunday before the redeem for bonus points (D'oh!!) but at least it was still a good deal as the DS's were on for $134.99. So my total for the system and one game was only $20 OOP. Not bad as far as I am concerned.

So on to the Reviews....

Brain Age #1

I really enjoyed this game right from the start. There a a couple differnt options, one is to test your brain and age do some training to improve its age and the other is Sudoko.

Brain Age and Daily Training
    My first attempt at testing my age ended up with a result of 54 years old. OUCH!! Let's just say I am more than 20 years younger than that!! You can only record your age once a day, but you can attempt the tests as many times as you want. So with some practice, by day #4, I was 20 years old (the best). WHEW!!

The tests are random and include some basic math, reading and memorization skills. Here are a few of the tests I have done:
    • Color Recognition - the word of a color is written possibly in another color of text. You are to state aloud the color of the text. So for example if you saw RED your response would be "BLUE".
    • Calculations x 20 - 20 basic math calculations using only digits 0 to 9, addition, subtraction, multiplication and division. You have to write the answer as quickly as possible.
    • Word Memorization - 30 words are posted for 2 minutes and you have to memorize as many as you can. You then have 2 minutes to write them down trying to get as many as you can out of the 30.
    There are more, but that is just a sample. I found them to actually be quite challenging and you really have to focus on what you are doing. This is not something you could do while watching TV, etc. You actually have to be focussed on the tests.

The daily training is similar tests that allow you to train your brain for your daily test. As you continue with the Daily Training tests, you can unlock more training activites.

PROS
    I like that it makes you work your brain. I also like that the tasks are simple, and although they challenge you to use your brain and think, they are not overly difficult. You just have to read the questions properly, focus and think in order to be successful.

CONS
    The voice activated tests do not like my voice. For example I am saying "Blue" over and over again, but it is not recognizing it. I do not do as well on any of the vocal tests.

SUDOKO
    What can I say, I love Sudoko and this is a great way of playing it. There are several Basic and Intermediate levels unlocked right away. I have not unlocked any advanced ones yet, but so far I am doing OK. You can turn on a notification to let you know if the answer you have guessed is incorrect, but it penalizes you 20 minutes per incorrect answer on your total time (yes, you read right 20 minutes!!).

Be careful of writing your numbers in, sometimes those 9's show up as 4's and if you are too quick you will get charged those 20 minutes as a penalty!!

Brain Age #2

So, since I was 20 years old so quickly on Brain Age #1, I very quickly went out and purchased #2. This one is more difficult, and so far my best age is 35 years old.

The Daily Training and Brain Age tests are all different and more challenging and include things like:
    • Change Maker - you are given a total and the tendered amount and you have to determine what coins/bills you would give as change (note this is US$ so not Loonies or Twonies).
    • Memorizing Numbers - you are given 25 random numbers and must record them "in order" (again 2 minutes to memorize and 2 minutes to record answers)
    Again, a lot of good, challenging brain excersizes, that are not overly difficult, they just make you think.

Again, the Sudoko is the same. A great way to play a well-loved game.

Overall Ratings

Cost - 9 / 10 - these games are $20 almost everywhere, and I did see a couple at EB games in the used section for $14.99. To me this is a very good deal as you could spend that in Sudoko books alone in a short perios of time.

Ease of Use - 7 / 10 - This is more a problem with the DS, but the voice activation and the screen not always recognizing what you write can sometimes be frustrating. I would also like to note that this game would be difficult for kids, and my guess is that age 13 and up would enjoy it the most.

Enjoyment - 10 / 10 - I really do like it

Overall rating - 8.5 / 10
    This thread is currently associated with: EB Games, GameStop, Guess, Pharmaprix, Shoppers Drug Mart

Trading Score
    208 (100%)

I have both these games too. I find Brain Age 1 is more focused on Language skills, whereas Brain Age 2 is Highly Focused on Mathimatical skills. I am very good at Math and Numbers in general so I find #2 more enjoyable for me (that being said Brain AGe 1 is more challenging for me).

They are very different but both enjoyable. Brain Age 2 also includes a "Dr. Mario" type of game. This is found in the last slot of the Daily Training menu. I do not believe it needs to be unlocked, however it will not show up until you discover it. Try clicking on the last spot where you would normally find a training program. It should just pop up.

Great Review.
    Last edited by Momto2Ks; Mon, Mar 23rd, 2009 at 07:01 PM. Reason: Add more details.

Trading Score
    19 (100%)

MOM2FAITH: your starting to get a following. KUDOS!

will you be my friend? please? http://swagbucks.com/?cmd=sb-register&rb=298463

Trading Score
    0 (0%)

I have Brain Age 2, want to get the first one. It is challenging and fun.

Trading Score
    13 (100%)

My girlfriend and I both enjoy these games. For some reason it doesn't like my "BLUE" in Brain Age 1 and my "SIX" in Brain Age 2 for voice recognition. Gets REALLY frustrating sometimes :p haha

Thread Information