User Tag List

Trading Score
    0 (0%)

Do you agree or beg to differ?
    This thread is currently associated with: N/A

Julie Andrews
    Beg to differ. You can be in a relationship and have friends at the same time. In fact it's healthy to have friends outside of a romantic relationship.

Trading Score
    0 (0%)

I have hubby friends, kid friends and me friends. some are the same and some are different. You need your own identity and friends to be a rounded person.

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

disagree.
    But sometimes a possessive guy wouldn't want you to have other friends, his reason being "what do you need others for when you've got me?"

Prue
    Nope I was with my ex for years and I kept my friends and he kept his. We had mutual friends as well, but I still made time for people who were important to me before I got into the relationship.

Lurking SCer
    Trading Score
    5 (100%)

I think so. When I was in a relationship, my bf used to take up ALL my time. I guess you have to decide who comes first in your life, relationships or friendships.

Trading Score
    1 (100%)

I disagree..you can be in a relationship and still keep your friends, unless your friends don't like your other-half and make you choose.

Julie Andrews
    Quote Originally Posted by cookoo View Post
    disagree.
    But sometimes a possessive guy wouldn't want you to have other friends, his reason being "what do you need others for when you've got me?"
    If your b/f is possessive- run in the opposite direction.

Prue
    Thats exactly what I was thinking Julie!

Trading Score
    3 (100%)

Great Q blistex!!

I think you distance yourself a little when you're in a new relationship. I kept in contact with my friends (I only had a few close ones anyways) via the telephone an awful lot.
    I ended up moving from Brampton to Orangeville to live with my hunny, and since it's long distance I only called on occasion while I was at work - which was a local call.
    I now work and live in Orangeville - still no long distance plan and haven't spoke to my best bud for many months *tear* I email once and a while, but I usually have so much to say (if you've noticed..LoL) that I end up saving a draft before finishing and end up forgetting about it...any advice?? hehe

So to answer, in my situation, yes, I think a relationship can cut you off from your friends.

On a lighter note....I recently got a PTime job at Home Depot....so I hope to make some 'local' buds!!!

JeLs

IreneWpg
    If a relationship is distancing you from your friends, you are in the wrong relationship. Your friends are important. If/when things go wrong in your relationship where will you turn? Will you run back to your friends? Will you be upset if they seem cool? You see, your friends will be there when you are happy and they will be there when you need a shoulder.....unless you gave them the cold shoulder.

Frosh Canuck
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

For me it's turned out that my guy friends were secretely wanting to get with me the whole time of knowing me and now that I have a BF they don't really talk to me anymore :\
    ~Everytime they put her down, she makes a fist and the tears roll down~

Thread Information