User Tag List

Thread: taxes

CaNewbie
    Trading Score
    3 (67%)

everywhere I go I seem to pay out the butt for my taxes. Are they supposed to taking the coupons off before or after taxes?????????????? now my gf goes out comes home with her bill and it's so cheap like 1.36 yesterday here I am paying way more....why is this?
    This thread is currently associated with: N/A

Trading Score
    1 (100%)

Most places I have redeemed coupons charge taxes on pre-coupon prices.

CaLoonie
    Trading Score
    10 (100%)

When it comes to taxes you'll always pay on the "pre-coupon" price, since you are the end buyer and the only place the govt can collect gst and pst and keep it. The actual value of what is being sold is "pre-coupon" price and the govt will always collect on that. The only exception I've seen may possibly be on "FPC's" where the coupon states that taxes are paid by the manufactuer (and even then it's on the full value of th product.)

Nat
    Female
    Trading Score
    3 (100%)

That is also what I have found... When ever I got to WM tho they charge taxes on my FPC even when they just write in the price they sold it for... 1 day I had 3 FPCs &the girl said yes the first one says I don't pay taxes, yet she STILL did NOT put it thru correctly& therefore DID charge the tax. I find WM is the absolute worst for it.. Sometimes even if it's an FPC I don't use it now, bc I'm unnecessarily wasting $$ on tax for things I don't need.
    ~* Give the Breath of LIFE. Help FIGHT CYSTIC FIBROSIS*~

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

This is based on what I've learned from SC so far and my limited experience of couponing the SC-way over the past couple weeks...

On regular coupons, if the product is a taxable item, the store will charge you tax on the price of the item before the value of the coupon is deducted. The same applies if your coupon is valued at more than the cost of the item you are purchasing, though any amount above and beyond that can generally be applied to ('credited') to your subtotal and so if you have bought more than just your items for which you had coupons you can reep the benefit of your high value coupons to the max!

As for FPC, unless the coupon states that the consumer (you) has to pay taxes the store isn't required to charge you taxes. I have brought with me a copy of the Retail Sales Tax Guide on my first 'SC shopping trip' (see link below, it was posted by another SC member and came in handy!!); I actually ended up showing it to the CSM at WM when she was called by the cashier when I tried to redeem my FPC item for 'FREE' and she was actually thankful. What I came to learn is that from that time she has informed her staff that they are not to charge taxes on FPC (now it is only a matter of time for the information to be communicated down to all cashiers as I find there seems to be a breakdown in communication from higher management levels to the front line cashiers)

http://www.rev.gov.on.ca/english/guides/rst/511.html

I've learned to be sure to have the cashier ring FPC items first and point out for them to calculate the taxes owed so they can note the total amount (taxes incl.) on the coupon and actually give me the product at no charge. In general, I also ask how they prefer to process my coupons (ie: do they want those items with coupons first, last, coupons given all at once or with items) and that I think helps a bit too.

Thread Information