User Tag List

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast
    Trading Score
    9 (100%)

Okay, so I go to Price Chopper to grab a couple of items on sale. I go up to the lane, and put my stuff down on the belt. The lovely interaction between the cashier and myself went like this:

Me: Hi! I haven't seen you here before, are you new?

Cashier: No I ain't new. I been here 4 months. I seen you though. I seen ya lotsa times (she had a really rough, grovelly voice)

Me: Oh really? Listen, is that blonde girl with the glasses still here?

Cashier: The short one? No, she don't work here no mo'

Me: Oh, that's too bad. Anyways, I do have a couple of coupons here.....

Cashier: It's Cue-pons. You said Coo-pons.

Me: Oh well, everyone's different

Cashier: Well, it is. It's Cue-pons. I ain't never heard nobody say Coo-pons before. What are ya, French? Are ya from Kwubeck?

Me: No, I'm from Ontario.

Cashier: Well, it's Cue-pons.

Then she was all huffy and rang my stuff through. She was this really, really, butch roughneck (sorry, but she was) and you might be able to tell from the way she spoke ("don't" vs. doesn't, "no" vs. any, "seen" vs. saw, "ain't" vs. haven't, "nobody" vs.anybody, etc) that she was not exactly prim and proper. Plus, it was just the way she argued with me, "IT'S CUE-PON, NOT COO-PON!!!!!!"

WTH, who cares, people still know what you mean. And what does pronouncing it coo-pon vs CUE-PON have to do with being from Quebec? Patty if you read this maybe you can tell me (and give me some French curse words to say next time, LOL)

Anyway I paid and walked out and this customer who was in the Express lane and heard everything was like, " I can't believe her nerve, she's a total hick and she's correcting your grammar. What a joke"

And I was just like, "Yep, everywhere you go, customer service has just gone way down." We both just rolled our eyes and laughed and went our separate ways.

But I was just like WTH? What a stupid thing to argue about with a customer! Some people I know pronounce coupons Coo, some say Cue. Who cares though. Is it really worth arguing about?
    This thread is currently associated with: Price Chopper
    Last edited by thecountess; Sat, May 30th, 2009 at 08:27 AM.

Admin
    Trading Score
    24 (100%)

What a twit! I would of been like excuse me!!!!

Trading Score
    50 (100%)

Seriously? She said that. LMAO

Sexy Canadian Genius Miss_April's Avatar
    Trading Score
    11 (100%)

Hahahaha WOW

She seriously corrected you on how to say coupon and she has terrible grammar.

I would have been soo mad, What is with customer service, she needs to be fired.

Trading Score
    37 (100%)

lmao wow she was probably just REALLY BORED and trying to have ANY conversion

S J
    Female
    Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    21 (100%)

OMG how rude , especially here in Canada with all kinds of accents and languages , its just rude!
    JOIN ME AND GET FREE GIFT CARDS! CLICK ON THE LINKS BELOW!

http://www.swagbucks.com/refer/jainshilpi{earn by daily searches}

http://www.leadprizes.com/members/register.php?ref=sj23{earn by completing P T C offers}

Pm me for help!

Boo Radley Conspirator roseofblack25's Avatar
    Trading Score
    4 (100%)

wow thats rude I probably would have slapped her for getting in my face...I like my personal space and don't like people invading it unless I know them

Search and win with SWAGBUCKS!

Trading Score
    56 (100%)

*snicker* First, who cares how you say it? Secondly, to be technical, the word "coupon" is of French origin and the proper pronunciation is "coo-pon" (just the way you said it!). She probably thought you were from Quebec because you were pronouncing it that way, and most English people will say "cue-pon" as that is the way it is commonly pronounced. But seriously, who cares? lol she knew what you meant and that is all that matters, not how you said it!

Mastermind
    Trading Score
    159 (100%)

Colis de tabarnac and sacrament, basically anything to do with the church is a french bad word. The first one is tabernacle and the 2nd sacrement. LOL o.k. so the ones I wrote are pretty tame but have OOmph value and of course if you say them altogether in one swift breath, even better. COMBOS ARE GOOD!

Funny but when someone says CUEpons I cringe kind of like when G.W. Bush would say NUCULAR instead of nuclear. Personally I prefer COUpons and oh by the way en francais c'est coupon aussi. COUpon like KOOLaid

Mastermind
    Trading Score
    159 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by vibrantflame View Post
    *snicker* First, who cares how you say it? Secondly, to be technical, the word "coupon" is of French origin and the proper pronunciation is "coo-pon" (just the way you said it!). She probably thought you were from Quebec because you were pronouncing it that way, and most English people will say "cue-pon" as that is the way it is commonly pronounced. But seriously, who cares? lol she knew what you meant and that is all that matters, not how you said it!

Do you guys outside of Quebec really say CUEpon? I always associated that with the states. Of course how would I know since i've never "chatted" with anyone from SC?

Trading Score
    9 (100%)

Oh God these replies are too funny

I have always said coupon, like koolaid, most people I know say it like that but some say cuepon. I have never corrected anyone though, because "frankly, my dear, I don't give a damn". Like seriously, you know, who cares? My take is You say Tomayto, I say Tomahto.

I just thought it was ed that she would confront a customer in such an aggressive way and be so militant that I was pronouncing it incorrectly. I.e, This is a Universal Truth and a Known Fact by Everyone on Planet Earth that it IS Cue-pon and not Coo-pon.

And like that customer said (who was walking out of the store at the same time as me) it was also who it was coming from. This haggard woman with hill-billy talk, dropping her g's, etc, was telling me off about correct vs. incorrect pronunciation.

Whatever!
    Last edited by thecountess; Fri, May 29th, 2009 at 05:44 PM.

Trading Score
    9 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by Patty Smyth View Post
    Personally I prefer COUpons and oh by the way en francais c'est coupon aussi. COUpon like KOOLaid
    Patty out of curiosity en Francais is it pronounced couPON like Grey PouPON mustard or is it COUpon like en Anglais?

Trading Score
    177 (100%)

Hahaha...Coo-pon for me too! I'm pretty sure it's obvious what you mean either way though!
    "Far over the misty mountains cold, to dungeons deep and caverns old,
    We must away ere break of day, to seek the pale enchanted gold."

Trading Score
    37 (100%)

nope i most DEFINITELY say COO-pon ...

Trading Score
    37 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by Patty Smyth View Post

Funny but when someone says CUEpons I cringe kind of like when G.W. Bush would say NUCULAR instead of nuclear.

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread Information