User Tag List

Trading Score
    10 (100%)

Hi-I am ready to pull out my hair I am confused! I am getting a Canon Rebel EOS XSI hopefully but trying to figure out what zoom lens is best for my budget. Can I get a good lens for less than $600? I'm just starting out and not a pro or anything but love photography. I borrowed my Brother in Law's Rebel XSI and he has a 55-250 IS lens and I like it and do I need the IS (image stabilization)? I have read in books that it is reccomended but not all lenses come with it. I used to use a 35mm film SLR camera (before it finally kicked the bucket-it is like 30yrs old!) and it just had a 55-200mm telephoto lens and I was ok with that. The digital stuff is all a little different. There is a Canon 55-250 IS lens that runs about $350 and I am wondering if that is a good lens? I have been using it with my b-in-law's camera and I think it is ok but I would like to get a teleconverter to increase the zoom on it. Future Shop is willing to do a pricematch on a Camera with an extra lens but the lens doesn't have IS and it is the 55-200mm lens and I am thinking that the IS would be good and the little extra zoom might be nice also. Is it better to get the 55-250 or is there much difference between the two? Is there a step up that is under $600 somewhere that I should consider instead? I know a place around here that sells the L series 70-200mm lens for $749 but that is a little expensive for me. Should I be saving up for that one? Is the L series really that much better? Thanks. Any advice would be sooooo much appreciated!
    This thread is currently associated with: Future Shop
    Please take a moment to visit my blog! www.heatherv11.wordpress.com

CaNewbie
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

The 55-250 IS is the best bang for your buck, zoom-wise. The IS is nice to have on a telephoto lens, without it camera shake becomes a problem (unless you carry a tripod everywhere you go). Henry's occasionally has it on sale for $300, I've been waiting for the price to drop on it myself! I'd also recommend the 50mm 1.8 lens (aka the "nifty fifty"). It can be found for around $120 and produces absolutely tack-sharp photos. I wouldn't invest in L lenses at this point, best to get some good cost-effective glass to start and see what kind of lenses you'll need down the road!

Trading Score
    10 (100%)

Clarence thanks so much!!! really appreciate the advice!
    Please take a moment to visit my blog! www.heatherv11.wordpress.com

CaNewbie
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

You're welcome! I do a lot of my research on this forum:
    http://photography-on-the.net/forum/
    It's all Canon-related discussions.

Canadian Genius
    Trading Score
    152 (100%)

I would also suggest that when you can afford it, get a polarized filter for your lens, it makes all the difference on bright days especially if you are photographing bright sky or water (like the lake or ocean). I am very much into photography and I have a Nikon D-80 with a 55-200mm lens, and I am looking at getting the macro lens for bug/flower detail pics (upclose) and my husband wants to get a better zoom lens (I think to 300mm)...anyhow have fun with your camera, I can tell you for 40.00 a year you'd learn alot from your local camera club...they do field trips once a month, and classes, etc...it's so informative and really alot of fun.

Thread Information