User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Trading Score
    10 (100%)

Hi-I am not doing very good at all and don't know what to do. I seem to be having an allergic reaction of some kind and I had one the same on Saturday. My mouth is swelling up and I am really dizzy and I think my throat is swelling a teeny bit as well. My mouth hurts because it is swollen adn the pressure from it. On saturday I also got really sick to my stomach and I felt like I was going to throw up and my whole head hurt and I had cramps and a whole lot more stuff. I don't think I have ever felt so much like c%*& before. It is starting again now. Well actually shortly after I bragged about the supper and dessert I ate. I don't know what to do and I don't think it is serious enough that I have to go to the hospital or something but I don't know what it is that is doing this. I am trying to find something that I ate both times but I can't seem to find anything that I had both times. It could even be a spice I suppose too. I have no idea at all. I know I have to see a doctor or something for an allergy test maybe or something but that will take a bit because it isn't easy to get in to see doctors here and because of my back I can't manage to sit for 2hrs to go to a walk in assuming that is all the time I would wait. A hospital is no different so what ever. I do have the free sample of reactine and thinking I will try to take that even though it doesn't say anything about swelling and stuff-just the itchy watery eyes stuff that I don't have. Will it help? Thanks.
    This thread is currently associated with: N/A
    Please take a moment to visit my blog! www.heatherv11.wordpress.com

Sexy Canadian Genius Miss_April's Avatar
    Trading Score
    11 (100%)

Take the reactin for sure.

It should probably take away some of the discomfort, I would head to the doctors in the morning to get yourself checked out.

Trading Score
    10 (100%)

thanks. I am not able to get to a doctor tho for the next few days. Since I have been thru it before I think I am pretty sure I will be ok but not very pleasent tho. I will try stay away from anything that I ate either today or Saturday also so that I can maybe be ok till I can get to a doctor.

Sexy Canadian Genius Miss_April's Avatar
    Trading Score
    11 (100%)

If you can get out to the store tomorrow I would definitely get some Benadryl it works amazing, my doctor recommended it to me.

Trading Score
    10 (100%)

ok I will see if someone can pick some up because i am guessing this is not the last time it will happen.

Trading Score
    67 (100%)

I have a severe allergy to MSG (Mono-Sodium Glutamate). It causes my throat to swell and all that lovely stuff too. Perhaps this is what is causing your allergy. It's a sneaky one because it is present in many different types of food.

So far I have come across MSG in:

Chinese Food (that don't specify MSG)
    Doritos (Most Flavours)
    Swiss Chalet chicken sauce

I know you said you don't think it's that serious, but you should definitely play it safe and see a doctor. If you are experiencing swelling in your mouth/throat, that is a sure sign of an anaphylactic allergy. I carry an Epi-Pen auto-injector, perhaps you may need one as well.

Trading Score
    16 (100%)

Dealsniffer you need to get allergy testing done to know for sure. My granddaughter swells horribly when she has strawberries so she is getting testing done and her mom is allergic to them too. The allergist apt is going to cost her money is not totally covered by AHC so if you make an apt find out about the charge as well some apparently do not charge. Benedril I keep it in the house all the time, I have a few allergies and DD and granddaughter as well DH's SIL is extremely allergic to peanuts he carries an epi pen, one day he forgot it and his DD hade a salad didn't read ingredients and in one bite he knew it had peanut something in it his throat started getting irritated and he took some benedril it worked. Sorry you are having this problem I hope you will be alright.

Senior Canuck
    Trading Score
    117 (100%)

definitely get Benadryl. I know its not the same but I take it for mosquito and bug bites as I really swell up from them. I had my eye get swollen shut. Now my youngest son has the same reaction to mosquito bites too so there is always adult and childrens benadryl in the house. I had allergy testing done a few years ago and it didn't cost me anything but I am in BC not Alberta. Oh and there can be MSG in lots of foods - like chicken nuggets and the ones mentioned above if that is a concern.

Trading Score
    20 (100%)

benadryl is what all dr's are recomendng these days for reactions.
    especially for parents who have kids with food allergies
    it's liquid
    get it checked tho, you need to know what caused it.
    sometimes reaactions like these get worse with each time you encounter whatever it is you are allergic to.
    meaning the next time you have this same reaction it could be dangerous, even lethal.
    please be careful
    Last edited by anisa; Tue, Aug 25th, 2009 at 01:00 AM.
    In 2020 I had 100 FREE Grocery pickups! Subscribe to PC Optimum Insiders & get 25,000 PC Optimum pts
    Get 10% back in points on all PC products - Free PC Express pickup with priority time slots - Free shipping with no minimum spend on joefresh.com and shoppersdrugmart.ca
    R
    eferral code to sign up: AN1455

Trading Score
    10 (100%)

thanks for everything. I took reactine and it seems to be helping a bit. not as much as I would like but maybe it is still kicking in? I know it isn't as bad as it was on Saturday so I am wondering if that is because I took the reactine? I will get on the phone tomorrow and see what I can find out. Also benadryl on the grocery list! I also have a coupon too for it! lol It is scary that I don't know what is causing it tho. I am already lactose intolerant and have asthma and have allergies to pollen and dust-now this! As if the lactose intolerance doesn't make life interesting enough checking labels all the time... sorry venting here. but the msg is something I hadn't thought about either-there is probably lots of stuff that I consume every day and have no idea about it. Thanks-I really appreciate all the help! Thankfully the swelling went down some now and hopefully it gets better. If it does I think I need to send a thank you to the makers of reactine! lol you think they would give me an fpc? lol yes I may feel awful but I still have my humor-it helps when I feel yucky. Well I am going to bed now and will get on the phone tomorrow.

Trading Score
    0 (0%)

Get some benadryl to keep on hand.

You say it is not serious, but allergies get worse as they go. I know I have been there.

If the beadryl or other meds work for know that is good. If you find that they are not working any more get yourself to the hospital. Same goes if you find you are having a problem breathing.

I spent a year going to emergancy, with hives, swollen tonge and breathing problems before they tested me for everything out there and found out it was the orange juice I was having problems with. 34 years later I still stay away from oranges.

Keep track of what you eat when this happens. It could be a build upp in your system. It was for me. I drank orange juice everyday for that year, but I would only have the reaction once a month and each time it was worse than the last.

you can join this forum by clicking on my link below.
    http://forum.smartcanucks.ca/index.php?referrerid=18227

Trading Score
    10 (100%)

thanks smb I hadn't thought of that. The reactine helped but not completely. It helped enough tho that I am ok. My mouth is still a teeny bit swollen on the inside I think but not alot. I am not dizzy this morning like last night either. Thanks for the help and suggestions and concern!

Trading Score
    80 (100%)

when I found out I was allergic to MSG, I was also very dizzy. We went out for Chinese food one night, and afterward I had to go back and play another game on the ice. Well, I passed out on the ice, got rashy, swollen. Not pretty.

MSG is in so many foods it isn't even funny!! That's why I make almost all of my foods (including hamburgers and chicken fingers) from scratch. At one point, I remember MSG being in Campbell's soup!! I'm not sure what foods have it in them anymore ... I just don't need to keep track. I do know that a lot of companies were trying to get rid of the MSG in their foods at one point, as well.

I would definately get checked out. As SMB said, allergies can progress. That's how this allergy popped up, as well as my bee sting allergy.
    SwagBucks.com - the premiere digital dollar. Earn SwagBucks to redeem for great prizes. Amazon.ca are available here!

LeadPrizes.com - I have redeemed for $6 into my PayPal account in just under two weeks. You can too with this awesome PTC site!

Trading Score
    14 (100%)

Its good to hear that you are feeling better. Your reaction could also be related to something that you have smelled/inhaled, touched, or otherwise came into contact with. Its good to make a list of those things as well so that when you do your allergy test they can also test for that. I've found that certain scents and color combinations tend to make me feel dizzy & cause my head to hurt.

“For one bad night there are a thousand amazing nights” - Gavin DeGraw

Trading Score
    10 (100%)

haha-yes that is true! my goodness how on earth will I ever find what it is? Thanks for being happy for me feeling better! I am soooo tired today tho! I was watching the noon news and eating lunch and was so tired that I thought I might as well lay down and slept for like 1/2hr and now I am at that point again where I am fighting to keep my eyes open! It might also have to do with weeding outside this afternoon that I am tired. I don't have alot of energy. Well thanks again for all the advice!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information