User Tag List

Page 8 of 29 FirstFirst ... 6 7 8 9 10 18 ... LastLast
Like Tree155Likes

Thread: disability tax credit questions

Trading Score
    0 (0%)

I have not received anything from CRA as of today, so I would have to assume that they have not sent a letter to my daughters pediatrician. My daughter has severe ADHD, but is also "globally delayed" in comparison to her peers.

Trading Score
    288 (100%)

Checked with my doctor with respect to wanting an appointment before the doctor completes the questionnaire to avoid having to appeal, CRA said questionnaire was mailed on June 6th to doctor but doctor has not yet rec'd. So I now need to request another questionnaire for the doctor. Seems typical procedure as the same thing happened with my 1st sons application, I truly believe the original questionnaire are not mailed out and once a month goes back then they send them out.

Having a copy of the questionnaire is okay but really there are only 3 options for the doctor to choose with no room for explanations/clarifications so most cases get denied.
    2019 is the year that we continue to save before we buy!!!

CaLoonie
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

I am only on page 2 and really do not want to read until the end right now... .so... I am going to jump in here. (don't throw tomatoes please!)

After my car accident in 2011 I applied for the DTC. I got approved first time. That should be good news right? Well no not exactly in my case. I have not had a spot of income since than. My income tax is $0. No where to use the deduction. Am I missing anything here? Being in my 40's, I can't get my dad to claim it, I was not a dependent. Well I think I was, he was not charging me anything to live. But to CRA, probably not from what I read. Is there any way to get money back? I can go back until 2011, however that is the year of my accident and my bankruptcy (so I don't get the refund from that anyways). What about the other 3 years? I didn't bother claiming it on my tax returns as I didn't think it would make a difference.
    Insurance Graduate Class of 2014
    I need coupons big time!

What do you do with a elephant that has three balls? Walk him and pitch to the Rhino!

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    5 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by jasperandchar View Post
    Checked with my doctor with respect to wanting an appointment before the doctor completes the questionnaire to avoid having to appeal, CRA said questionnaire was mailed on June 6th to doctor but doctor has not yet rec'd. So I now need to request another questionnaire for the doctor. Seems typical procedure as the same thing happened with my 1st sons application, I truly believe the original questionnaire are not mailed out and once a month goes back then they send them out.

Having a copy of the questionnaire is okay but really there are only 3 options for the doctor to choose with no room for explanations/clarifications so most cases get denied.
    Don't be so sure the doctor didn't receive it. I worked for years in a Doctor's office. 99% of the time they receive what has been sent unless it's a 3rd party payment. Doctor's HATE filling out paperwork and often times (at least the doctor I worked for did) tosses that kind of paperwork aside until they "feel" like filling it out. It was easier to tell a patient that the paperwork hasn't been received yet than to be hounded by a patient to get it filled out. Sad but true.

CaLoonie
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

I know alll about that! I had forms at the Dr for more than 3 months. He hated doing them too. The Dr I have now lets you make an appointment, bring the forms and he fills them out with you telling him what to write! The exception was my CDP (Disability Pension) he did that on his own, when I saw what he wrote and mailed in, I almost died laughing. To hear him talk about me, I should be close to six feet under by now! If I get approved, okay. If not, I don't think I will ever get it.

Keep after the doctor, you are his patient, he owes a duty of care to you and it is not "It's not my duty so I don't care" either!
    I need coupons big time!

What do you do with a elephant that has three balls? Walk him and pitch to the Rhino!

Trading Score
    288 (100%)

Ends up that RCA never mailed the questionnaire out to the doctors, good grief, I got a super sweet & knowledgeable lady who explained that the letter is in draft and not yet mailed as they have my son's file on a bf (bring forward) for July 25th. Anyways I will follow up again with RCA at the end of next week to start pushing them.

Trading Score
    0 (0%)

Jasperandchar, When you checked your CRA account, how long did you (if you did) get the message "we are processing your request for the disability tax credit" ? My account has been saying that for around 4 weeks now. Friday, I called my daughters Pediatrician, and they have not received any forms from CRA. Not sure if this is a good sign or not. I tried to call CRA on Friday, all day, and could not get thru. Also, when did you first send in the forms for the credit. My daughters doctors office secretary told me not to be surprised if this takes 6-8 months :-(

tightwad and proud of it! brunt's Avatar
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

Not really up on this area, but am on taxation in general. Your father may have a claim. Check out http://www.cra-arc.gc.ca/tx/ndvdls/t.../menu-eng.html and http://www.cra-arc.gc.ca/tx/ndvdls/tpcs/ncm-tx/rtrn/cmpltng/ddctns/lns300-350/305/menu-eng.html.

Now, as I mentioned, I am not really up on disabilities and CRA's definition of dependants. Read up on the two links, and if you are unsure, talk to someone at CRA directly. They are actually pretty reasonable.

Trading Score
    288 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by jgdmama View Post
    Jasperandchar, When you checked your CRA account, how long did you (if you did) get the message "we are processing your request for the disability tax credit" ? My account has been saying that for around 4 weeks now. Friday, I called my daughters Pediatrician, and they have not received any forms from CRA. Not sure if this is a good sign or not. I tried to call CRA on Friday, all day, and could not get thru. Also, when did you first send in the forms for the credit. My daughters doctors office secretary told me not to be surprised if this takes 6-8 months :-(
    I don't check online, I call CRA every week.

It says processing your request from the time your application is rec'd but NOT necessarily assigned to an individual employee for logging/review. It will say in progress until they have made their final decision, the whole process from start to finish takes approx. 4-5 months (with their bf systems, letters for clarification to doctor and/or questionnaires to be completed) and everything between doctor and CRA is done by mail so it's slower. The delay is when the questionnaire is sent out because then the new paperwork is the re-received it's put in a que and then they review again and then make their determination.

My eldest has severed ADH and learning disability he was originally approved from birth until age 12. When children that have previously been approved for DTC turn 12 you need to re-apply which is stupid in my opinion but things change if RCA's rationale. I am now on our 3rd application as the other 2 have now been denied as the questionnaire is so generic and not applicable to ADHD & learning disabilities.

Best of luck but don't give us, I was told by a kind lady at CRA to re-apply instead of appealing as appealing can take up to 9 months and only new information/evidence is taken into account.

Turnaround time is also based on the tax centre you are mailing to as some are busier than others.

Trading Score
    288 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by brunt View Post
    Not really up on this area, but am on taxation in general. Your father may have a claim. Check out http://www.cra-arc.gc.ca/tx/ndvdls/t.../menu-eng.html and http://www.cra-arc.gc.ca/tx/ndvdls/tpcs/ncm-tx/rtrn/cmpltng/ddctns/lns300-350/305/menu-eng.html.

Now, as I mentioned, I am not really up on disabilities and CRA's definition of dependants. Read up on the two links, and if you are unsure, talk to someone at CRA directly. They are actually pretty reasonable.
    I believe this was intended for weave3162 not me but thanks

Trading Score
    288 (100%)

up

CaNewbie
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

Quote Originally Posted by jgdmama View Post

Has anyone had a questionnaire completed by the doctor and were approved. My doctor was vague on the original application and I'm thinking now I wont be approved even if the questionnaire is completed.

CaNewbie
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

I don't check online, I call CRA every week.

It says processing your request from the time your application is rec'd but NOT necessarily assigned to an individual employee for logging/review. It will say in progress until they have made their final decision, the whole process from start to finish takes approx. 4-5 months (with their bf systems, letters for clarification to doctor and/or questionnaires to be completed) and everything between doctor and CRA is done by mail so it's slower. The delay is when the questionnaire is sent out because then the new paperwork is the re-received it's put in a que and then they review again and then make their determination.

My eldest has severed ADH and learning disability he was originally approved from birth until age 12. When children that have previously been approved for DTC turn 12 you need to re-apply which is stupid in my opinion but things change if RCA's rationale. I am now on our 3rd application as the other 2 have now been denied as the questionnaire is so generic and not applicable to ADHD & learning disabilities.

Best of luck but don't give us, I was told by a kind lady at CRA to re-apply instead of appealing as appealing can take up to 9 months and only new information/evidence is taken into account.

Turnaround time is also based on the tax centre you are mailing to as some are busier than others.
    Hi, are these two different things the questionnaire and a clarification letter?

CaLoonie
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

Quote Originally Posted by brunt View Post

Got it, I will check. I recall telling my dad to claim the thing but I am not sure that he ever did. I am pretty sure CRA already told me that he could claim me as I was living at home and not paying any room nor board. I was living for free (wish I still was). It will be one thing getting him to claim it, another thing to get the money out of him!!!

-------
    To the person that wrote earlier saying about the questionnaire, I got lucky because my doctor asked ME what he should put down! I got approved right away. To anyone sending anything to CRA, make sure you copy it and copy it again! My first Disability Tax Credit application never made to CRA or they lost it, pick one. I had copied it and sent it registered so I got a signature. Two weeks later I was approved. Make sure you cover your butt so you do not have to go back to the doctor and pay more for forms!
    I need coupons big time!

Trading Score
    288 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by Bluedasher View Post
    Hi, are these two different things the questionnaire and a clarification letter?
    The questionnaire is attached to the letter of clarification. The last 2 questionnaires that have been filled out for my 1st son have led to him being denied, we are now on application #3, craziness.

Page 8 of 29 FirstFirst ... 6 7 8 9 10 18 ... LastLast

Thread Information