• 1 Post By endi2000
  • 2 Post By itsmewhoelse
  • 2 Post By endi2000
  • 3 Post By SavvyLady

Thread: Need help with living privacy screen ideas

Senior Canuck
    Trading Score
    2 (100%)

So last summer we lost some privacy in our backyard. I would like some help with ideas for a living privacy screen along this fence. In the picture where the circle by the apartments are used to be at least 6 nice BIG elm trees. Then in the circle by the fence on the neighbors side there used to a few more smaller elms and oaks that self seeded, but they still provided some privacy. Well both sets of trees were cut down last summer. Now we have all of these apartments staring into our yard. This of course after we planted cedars on the other side of the yard for privacy as the fence is shorter on that side. the other thing is that my hubby hates all the leaves seeds etc that go along with most trees.
    I will also be losing some flower planting space on the top tier of my 2 tier flower bed along this fence. Was thinking maybe more cedars but i dont want it to be boring. In the short term this year i am growing scarlet pole beans. Those things grew tall in my garden and doubled over on themselves last year. ATTACH]215994[/ATTACH]
    We are in zone 3. thanks for any ideas. I will of course post a pic of whatwe do.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    This thread is currently associated with: N/A
    Last edited by itsmewhoelse; Wed, Feb 12th, 2014 at 04:33 PM.
    The most serious gardening I do would seem very strange to an onlooker, for it involves hours of walking round in circles, apparently doing nothing." --Helen Dillon

Senior Canuck
    Trading Score
    2 (100%)

Its so ugly looking this is a before pic of the big trees that were there. Name:  IMG00267-20110609-1952.jpg
Views: 1057
Size:  113.1 KB
    Shwa Girl and jaydenmoorie like this.
    The most serious gardening I do would seem very strange to an onlooker, for it involves hours of walking round in circles, apparently doing nothing." --Helen Dillon

Trading Score
    12 (100%)

Have to find out what will grow in Zone 3. Glad you posted 2nd photo-clearly shows hydro lines passing over or one side of fence-that eliminates my idea that you put 2-3 poplar trees along the fence where you can see the apt. building. Ditto flowering magnolia tree.
    Flowering shrubs (maybe a berry bush too) and something like a Rose of Sharon tree (it will grow maybe a foot or so above your fence when fully grown) might be the compromise between hubby's dislike of leaf raking and your need for greenery that is pleasing and minimizes some of the view of the other buildings.

When you face the fence is that the west/east/north or south? Trying to get a sense of direction.

Not a fan of spruce or evergreens.

Were you planning to buy at garden centre or try for rootstock/plants via neighbours/friends/local community plant sales?
    itsmewhoelse and jaydenmoorie like this.
    2021-Bring on the sunshine, sweets & online shopping.

Junior Canuck
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

Cedars are probably the fastest growing and most logical.
    What about boxwood - don't know how fast it grows but it can be shaped
    itsmewhoelse likes this.

Senior Canuck
    Trading Score
    2 (100%)

There are no lines in the way, just loks like it in the pic. Facing the fence is west then north is to the right. I dont want any evergreens thst lose lots of needles either. We havd a big pine in the front. I dont think I have too many options either, given my specificayions. I may put in the cedars and layer with other shrubs for interest, and put in a fruit tree too. I will probably have to buy the trees as I want the height fast., may even move the ones we bought last year over so we dont have to spend as much. I wait for the cedars to go on sale for 15.00. I did get my hostas from a plant exhange at work.
    Last edited by itsmewhoelse; Fri, Feb 14th, 2014 at 08:38 PM.

Trading Score
    0 (0%)

I suggest you to grow willow oak tree. That can be rise to 50 feet at maturity. That is the best tree for privacy also easy to transplant.
    itsmewhoelse likes this.

Trading Score
    7 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by itsmewhoelse View Post
    Its so ugly looking this is a before pic of the big trees that were there. Name:  IMG00267-20110609-1952.jpg
Views: 1057
Size:  113.1 KB
    A little off topic but your garden looks really nice.
    Inspiring.
    itsmewhoelse and Tbites like this.

Junior Canuck
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

If you are looking at planting a tree - PLEASE check and make sure the roots would be compatible with all things underground - plumbing, basements etc. Willow trees are notorious for having destructive roots.

What about setting a small seating area up - with a nice big market umbrella? You could open it when you don't want to look at the wires. Also - how big of a structure are you allowed to put up on your property (or near your property) line?
    itsmewhoelse likes this.

Senior Canuck
    Trading Score
    2 (100%)

Thx, it was in rough shape when we bought the house. Very over grown tons of junipers etc. So started a love affair with gardening. I have more pics if you check some of my other posts. I was going for a nice relaxing type of feel.

Senior Canuck
    Trading Score
    2 (100%)

We have a good size cement patio to the left of the picture where we set up our umbrella etc. There are also no lines of any type close to this area underground or overhead. We had a survey done by hydro. Also no foundations etc. I found a few good ideas on Pinterest. too, one that I really like. Now to round up sone wood and some help to make it. Hope we get it done.

Quote Originally Posted by endi2000 View Post
    If you are lookeing at planting a tree - PLEASE check and make sure the roots would be compatible with all things underground - plumbing, basements etc. Willow trees are notorious for having destructive roots.

What about setting a small seating area up - with a nice big market umbrella? You could open it when you don't want to look at the wires. Also - how big of a structure are you allowed to put up on your property (or near your property) line?

Senior Canuck
    Trading Score
    2 (100%)

I do have a couple a clematis along there just put in last year. I also want a rose of sharon too. Thx

Quote Originally Posted by Ciel View Post
    Have to find out what will grow in Zone 3. Glad you posted 2nd photo-clearly shows hydro lines passing over or one side of fence-that eliminates my idea that you put 2-3 poplar trees along the fence where you can see the apt. building. Ditto flowering magnolia tree.
    Flowering shrubs (maybe a berry bush too) and something like a Rose of Sharon tree (it will grow maybe a foot or so above your fence when fully grown) might be the compromise between hubby's dislike of leaf raking and your need for greenery that is pleasing and minimizes some of the view of the other buildings.

When you face the fence is that the west/east/north or south? Trying to get a sense of direction.

Not a fan of spruce or evergreens.

Were you planning to buy at garden centre or try for rootstock/plants via neighbours/friends/local community plant sales?

Junior Canuck
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

Don't forget Freecycle for things that replicate! We have a very active freecycle area and things from bamboo to red hot pokers are often posted.
    itsmewhoelse and Anna Michele like this.

Senior Canuck
    Trading Score
    2 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by endi2000 View Post
    If you are looking at planting a tree - PLEASE check and make sure the roots would be compatible with all things underground - plumbing, basements etc. Willow trees are notorious for having destructive roots.

Thx for this suggestion. It made us think about setting up our umbrella/gazebo next to the shed. Its still on the cement patio, but one end is now lined up with the grass to the right of the pic. On top of having no privacy we also have no shade on in the yard once the sun swings around in the afternoon. So this gives us a bit more privacy and shade. I still want a tree(s) or something else on that side, but for a short term solution this works pretty good. We need to move the fire pit now.

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    1 (100%)

The gazebo idea is fantastic!! I put one up years ago, and wish I had done it sooner, make sure if you get one it has privacy screens. I've attached pictures of mine from a few years ago..I keep adding to it, it gets better every season..
    Attached Images Attached Images    

Thread Information