User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree19Likes

Thread: The unfair wheelchair world!

Trading Score
    5 (100%)

I just have to rant about this-- cannot talk about with my DH as he has lived this sort of thing all his life.
    We are going to be needing a new van in the next year or so, and I got all excited because a new vehicle, the MV1 is now being made truly wheelchair accessible. My DH could even sit ( in his wheelchair) in the front passenger seat! It has a ramp that can be manually pulled out! There is really nothing much more in this minivan style van than what you would get in the average minivan. It does not even have a CD player as standard. BUT, the COST. An equivalent minivan brand new would be about $25000 to maybe $30000.
    The MV1 is $55000 to $60000, before PDI and delivery costs. And no funding available. I have been saving like mad for two years and thought I had finally found the perfect van!
    My DH just says that's normal, everything costs more for the disabled, and everyone thinks you get funding (he's not) and treats him like he's getting disability $$$(he's not).
    I feel like a little kid getting coal in my stocking at Christmas.
    sorry for the long rant, but I am just trying to stop feeling so bad about this.
    and I really have to stop looking at the MV1 web site!
    thanks for listening!
    This thread is currently associated with: N/A
    Shwa Girl likes this.

Trading Score
    29 (100%)

Have you looked into getting any source of funding?

Here in SK, the Kinsmen have a foundation people can get help from.

Found this for ON
    http://www.marchofdimes.ca/EN/progra...ndVehicle.aspx

Manufacturer programs
    http://www.savaria.com/products/vans...ding/index.php

tax info

Hope you are able to find some help somewhere, or more info on maybe picking up a used vehicle.
    Shwa Girl and MillieH like this.

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    78 (100%)

Have you approached any local service groups to see if they offer any type of assistance, either with a straight donation or help with fundraising.
    Shwa Girl likes this.
    Looking for FPC for almost everything. Growing teen boy eating me out of house and home. Visit my facebook page www.facebook.com/UneekCreations Will trade finished product from my Etsy shop.

Trading Score
    5 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by Natalka View Post
    Have you looked into getting any source of funding?

Here in SK, the Kinsmen have a foundation people can get help from.

Found this for ON
    http://www.marchofdimes.ca/EN/progra...ndVehicle.aspx

Manufacturer programs

tax info

Hope you are able to find some help somewhere, or more info on maybe picking up a used vehicle.
    Thanks for the ideas, but I am in Ontario. I have tried many different funding organizations. March of dimes sounds great until you speak to them. They do fund wheelchair modifications to vechicles, but they do it in order of 'need' based on their standards. Children first, those on disability next, low income next (in my area thats combined income of under $23,500). I was told by a local rep, 'forget it', because there would always be somebody moved ahead of us.

Trading Score
    5 (100%)

I have tried some local groups, but they prefer that you go through United Way or March of Dimes. The personal fundraising may be the way to go--I am going to google that!
    thanks

Trading Score
    5 (100%)

I guess what I was ranting about: is that I scrimped and saved to buy a new van, but just because I need a wheelchair accessible van, it has to cost twice as much. I work just as hard as others to earn our $$, but it often costs twice as much because my DH is a para. Just ranting, sorry!
    abbasgirl, Insane and Shwa Girl like this.

Canadian Guru
    Trading Score
    46 (100%)

Yeah ..that's ridiculous . Things cost way too much for disabled people , some excess cost is understandable , but its usually much more than that

I don't have a disability ..but we all are going to be disabled one day due to age or some other thing.

The productivity lost due to people, companies & government , not really caring about disability is huge .
    filza, Shwa Girl and MillieH like this.

Trading Score
    29 (100%)

Ontario classifieds for wheelchair-accessible vans

http://www.sciontario.org/forum/community/classified

Even though some of the listings are older, maybe it would be worth a shot to try them.

Also might be a good idea to check Kijiji classifieds.
    I couldn't narrow it down more, so put in your search area

http://ontario.kijiji.ca/f-wheelchai...eelchairQ20van
    Shwa Girl likes this.

Trading Score
    5 (100%)

thanks for posting. I know both of these sites, but the vans for sale are usually over priced for what they are. A 2000 ford minivan for $5000, and as is! A 2010 van selling for $65,000 with 125,000 kms.
    I am ranting because I finally found a van that would allow my DH to sit in the front seat beside me (like most couples do), and I had saved what should be enough --only to find the van is so overpriced that I all I can do is look at the picture online and know that I can never afford it!

Quote Originally Posted by Natalka View Post
    Ontario classifieds for wheelchair-accessible vans

http://www.sciontario.org/forum/community/classified

Even though some of the listings are older, maybe it would be worth a shot to try them.

Also might be a good idea to check Kijiji classifieds.
    I couldn't narrow it down more, so put in your search area

http://ontario.kijiji.ca/f-wheelchai...eelchairQ20van
    Insane likes this.

Trading Score
    1 (100%)

That really sucks that you've saved for so long, only to find out it's not enough.

I know you're just ranting - but if you belong to a church or club, you could ask about help fund raising. It's the people who care about you most that are going to be more willing to help out

And here's hoping that you get the van you want for the price you want sooner rather than later!
    Shwa Girl likes this.

Trading Score
    7 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by olivercat View Post
    I guess what I was ranting about: is that I scrimped and saved to buy a new van, but just because I need a wheelchair accessible van, it has to cost twice as much. I work just as hard as others to earn our $$, but it often costs twice as much because my DH is a para. Just ranting, sorry!
    Are you not using the Community Care Access Centres? No help there?

If I am way off in La-la land, feel free to tell me.

(((hugs)))
    Last edited by Shwa Girl; Fri, Mar 7th, 2014 at 07:04 AM.

CaNewbie
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

Hi! I'm a mama of a child with CP and uses a chair.
    Presidents Choice has a program to apply for funding!!! The income cap is higher than most. They specifically fund accessible vehicles.
    All info is available online in a google search. I wish I had the link handy!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Durham Couponer likes this.

Trading Score
    5 (100%)

Thanks for posting. I had not heard of the PC program. I will be checking on that! Do make sure that you use all of your funding options before your child becomes 18 (or 19) because each program (and province) has different rules regarding funding of children vs adults. It has amazed me how the programs think as soon as you become an adult that your needs become less.

I would also like to thank everyone for your comments. I decided today, to stop ranting, and start saving again (I never really stopped). I am determined to get this van for my DH. He deserves to see out the front window, not be tied down in the back!. So off to work I go!

IQUOTE=mamaofmany;5850867]Hi! I'm a mama of a child with CP and uses a chair.
    Presidents Choice has a program to apply for funding!!! The income cap is higher than most. They specifically fund accessible vehicles.
    All info is available online in a google search. I wish I had the link handy!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk[/QUOTE]
    luckbealady likes this.

Trading Score
    86 (100%)

I'm pretty sure the PC is for children. It's the PC children's charity. From what I understand too the wait list is years long.

I'm sorry that it's so much more expensive for you to get an accessible van. Do you guys currently have an accessible van?
    You just proved Signature Advertising works!

Earn FREE money just by searching! Ask me how to get a $5GC using my referral.
    Get $10 off $40 for new customers at well.ca using the code springhascome

Trading Score
    70 (100%)

it's frustrating that everything specialty costs insanely more, from plus sizes, to wider shoes, it's frustrating when you don't fit into the status quo

i do get why they are more expensive though (they can't mass produce them for sale like a generic product because there just is not the market for it) have you compared the price to buying this vrs buying a nice new van and having it converted to this style?
    When life hands you Edward Cullen...throw him back and demand Eric Northman....

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information