User Tag List

Like Tree10Likes
  • 2 Post By Buddyboy546
  • 4 Post By lecale
  • 2 Post By mulock
  • 1 Post By ROMEO
  • 1 Post By Natalka

Thread: How fresh is "fresh bread" at Atlantic Superstore (Loblaws)?

Trading Score
    0 (0%)

I have had ongoing concerns about reliability of getting fresh bread at my local Superstore here in Nova Scotia. I wrote to head office and asked them if they had a policy for how long freshly baked bread is displayed for sale. The following is a synopsis of my exchange with them over a series of emails.

Q: Is there a company policy about how long in-store baked bread can be displayed on the racks as fresh bread, or is that left to the discretion of the individual store? I am told that the Bedford Superstore disposes of old bread whereas others displays it for days on end. This question relates specifically to your policy in this regard. Thank you.

A: In regards to your inquiry, the best before dates are on all our breads and fresh baked breads are packaged unsliced and placed in perforated bags when they come out of the oven and displayed during the day. They are removed in the evening then sliced and packaged in poly bags which are dated for 3 days.

Q: Thank you for your response. I take it, then, that your policy is to offer freshly baked unsliced bread for no more than one day, and for freshly baked sliced bread for no more than three days. If you would confirm this my question would be answered.

A: Yes, for any fresh bread that remains in the store at the end of the day, is later removed and sliced and placed back on the shelf for duration of three days.

My experience at my local Atlantic Superstore in Liverpool has been poor in that regard, and continues to be so. Just a week or so ago, about a month after the above email exchange, "fresh" unsliced bread was dated as having been baked three days before, and still on display immediately beneath a sign saying "Fresh Bread". What particularly surprised me with the statement of policy though is that their sliced bread begins as day old bread. I've got to say, that far from impresses me. Am I alone?
    This thread is currently associated with: Loblaws, Real Canadian Superstore RCSS
    ROMEO and lecale like this.

Canadian Genius
    Trading Score
    51 (100%)

Last edited by lecale; Tue, Jan 20th, 2015 at 09:04 AM.
    Natalka, ROMEO, sweetmomma and 1 others like this.

Trading Score
    0 (0%)

"a really fresh loaf would just self-destruct"
    That made me laugh I'd love to see that happen in store...."Help help, the bread loaf just killed the slicer"
    ROMEO and lecale like this.

Trading Score
    1 (100%)

Everyone have a Wonderful Weekend
    lecale likes this.

Canadian Genius
    Trading Score
    51 (100%)

Last edited by lecale; Tue, Jan 20th, 2015 at 09:48 AM.

Trading Score
    29 (100%)

Oh, lecale, what you say is totally true!

Our Co-op has a slicer for customer use, too - which my husband loves using since it's a machine, lol, and he's brought home many a butchered loaf! (but still yummy)

Here, by day three, Sobey's fresh bread (our fave by far) would already start smelling yeasty and be heading to the green zone.
    Co-op fresh bread by day three would be only good for french toast.
    lecale likes this.

Thread Information