User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree53Likes

Thread: Ontario's new sex-ed curriculum unveiled

Trading Score
    0 (0%)

http://www.cbc.ca/player/News/Canada/ID/2655460780/

of course i think this new curriculum is a great idea.
    i know someone very close who was sexually abused
    as a kid (by her mother's second husband - the principal)
    and as a result her own daughter knew a lot of
    words most kids wouldn't by the age of 2.
    and it was suggested to me to not mention aids etc.
    to my nephews when they were just 5 and 7 - as if.

parents can not be relied on to talk about anything
    sexually with their kids, i think, although i may be
    wrong, but can't imagine any child of the 2 guys in
    this vid saying 'hey dad i think i'm gay' or
    'hi dad, how do i masturbate?' to him.
    This thread is currently associated with: N/A
    Last edited by madchives; Tue, Feb 24th, 2015 at 06:56 AM. Reason: oh just me, and once again why does sc add spaces?
    if you have some spare time

Trading Score
    184 (100%)

I think that if any other curriculum had not been revised in this long, people would be questioning the information their children were receiving. Kids today live in a MUCH more sexualized world than they did 20 years ago. They need some solid information delivered in a non-emotional way. Good for the Ministry of Ed.! (Not that I support EVERYTHING they do - but this - yes!)
    madchives, ROMEO and dededi like this.
    Here's to all you great SC'ers
    Join Swagbucks and make $$$
    http://www.swagbucks.com/refer/avoncallingu

Trading Score
    189 (100%)

Parents should be the ones speaking to their children about ANY subject whether it's sex or their math homework. Not all kids are promiscuous at a young age so why should they be taught it?
    Also I don`t agree with homosexuality being taught to kids when a lot of people believe a man should be with a woman. Over all - I`m not pleased with this revision.
    ROMEO, Durham Couponer and dededi like this.

Senior Canuck
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

I think these changes are way overdue. I've read the curriculum and I don't see anything wrong with it. It is probably the most practical thing the government has put out in a long time. I'm glad that the issue of mental health will be brought up for students in early high school. High school is a time when mental health issues can really be an issue for kids. Also, I don't see the problem with children learning the correct terminology of their body parts. It is what it is. We don't go making up words for our elbows or wrists, so why shouldn't they learn that. Also, girls are menstrating at a much younger age now and its better for them to be prepared about what can adn will happen. Also that its okay for it to happen earlier or even later.

While I agree that parents should be talking to their children, not all parents want to or are capable of doing so. Parents may not know how to correctly answer a question and give false information (not necessarily intentionally). Some parents are simply not involved in children's lives and wouldn't care to answer questions. Some kids may also not feel comfortable talking to their parents about this kind of thing anyway.

As for homosexuality, its a fact of life and same-sex marriage is legal in Canada, so why shouldn't it be discussed? We can't just gloss over or ignore a fact just because it doesn't fit with some people's beliefs.

Mastermind
    Trading Score
    159 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by Candini View Post
    Parents should be the ones speaking to their children about ANY subject whether it's sex or their math homework. Not all kids are promiscuous at a young age so why should they be taught it?
    Also I don`t agree with homosexuality being taught to kids when a lot of people believe a man should be with a woman. Over all - I`m not pleased with this revision.
    I agree 100% parents should be the ones, but they are not.

Problem is you would be astonished at how many parents do not talk to their children at all. I volunteered in the school library in elementary school and do you know how many girls are clueless about their periods? Some are getting it as young as 9 years old now. Parents are not talking to their kids.

I have not seen the entire curriculum but any progress is good. I wish we had something here in Quebec instead of ERC which is a waste of time.
    madchives, ROMEO, Candini and 4 others like this.

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    25 (100%)

I can't see the point of people disagreeing with this at all, our public school policy lets parents opt their kids out of sex ed in grades 4 and 5 (cna't remember is you have the choice in in the next grades.) if they don't want their kids to know the facts. Believe me there are always a few that are excused due to parents not agreeing with the content. I talked to all four of my kids but I am sure they learned about things I didn't cover and I am fine with that.

Trading Score
    0 (0%)

well, if the subjects are only the maths etc.
    and can only be 'taught' by you
    guessing your children should not be attending
    a school in ontario, according to you.

seriously though you need to check what year you
    and your family are living in, candini.
    homosexuality being taught? - not happening in any
    school, and I wonder where you would ever get that
    idea?

that is the sort of thing people feared years ago,
    and makes as much sense now as me being taught
    how to be straight - not going to happen.
    I am sorry that you think along this 'logic' for you
    and your family, and hoping how you think/judge
    never affects your children.

the new curriculum only tells kids what's what,
    with a bit more info every year,
    which they need to know.

Education is an admirable thing, but it is well to
    remember from time to time that nothing that is
    worth knowing can be taught.
    Oscar Wilde
    ROMEO and dededi like this.

Trading Score
    189 (100%)

That's okay, Madchives. My family isn`t your concern.
    madchives, ROMEO and dededi like this.

Trading Score
    189 (100%)

abbasgirl and dededi like this.

Trading Score
    0 (0%)

opinion goes where it goes candini. but your children grow up in this
    reality.
    nice idea that your family should not be my or anyone's concern
    but where do you and your children live?
    if anywhere near where me or my family could hear or see your
    'hate speak'
    what are we supposed to think about you?
    Candini and dededi like this.

Trading Score
    7 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by Candini View Post
    It is interesting that the Ontario Liberal government never mentioned their plans for curriculum changes during their election campaign. I wonder what voters would have thought if this were part of their election platform

It is interesting that the Ontario Conservative government mentioned 100,000 job cuts if they were elected. The Ontario Liberal government did not mention that they were going to cut jobs in certain unions (OPSEU, CUPE, home care worker unions, hospital worker unions), essentially cutting the same number of jobs or more than the Ontario Conservatives proposed.

It is interesting that the Ontario Liberal government's record on ORNGE fiasco, gas plant, shredding documents and e-mails have been "forgotten". All that money wasted and they won the election.
    *sigh*

BTW, didn't like the major parties for the last election

Trading Score
    189 (100%)

My hate speak? This is dragging away far from what I stated.

I don`t understand why children at any age need to learn about alternative relationships.

You think I would verbally attack somebody because of their choices? Negative. Let's get our facts first before getting offended.
    dededi likes this.

Trading Score
    0 (0%)

took a couple of quotes,
    'Not all kids are promiscuous at a young age so why should they be taught it?
    Also I don`t agree with homosexuality being taught to kids when a lot of people believe a man should be with a woman. Over all - I`m not pleased with this revision.'

thinking you likely misspoke, as a kid would/could never be taught to be promiscuous,
    nor gay, candini, as for your opinion, oh well,,,

'I don`t understand why children at any age need to learn about alternative relationships.'

the society we are living in has a lot of different relationships happening, gay parents,
    unmarried parents, trans parents, single parents, and a lot more,,,,
    guessing no one would like a child in any family feeling ostracized because
    of who their parents are, and they should not have to be.
    (personally in case i haven't mentioned it - i was kicked out as a teen because
    my dad discovered my girlfriend was not sleeping on the couch.
    'you don't want us to think something of you you don't want us to think.'
    i refuse to have any kid think 'bad' of themselves because of who they are or
    what sexuality they or their parents are or aren't - hell i forgave mine
    for being straight - sorry couldn't resist the silly part)

and no i don't think you would ever verbally attack anyone candini
    Last edited by madchives; Thu, Mar 12th, 2015 at 09:02 AM. Reason: does sc have some sort of thingy about using up the interent space?
    dededi likes this.

Trading Score
    7 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by Shwa Girl View Post
    It is interesting that the Ontario Liberal government never mentioned their plans for curriculum changes during their election campaign. I wonder what voters would have thought if this were part of their election platform

It is interesting that the Ontario Conservative government mentioned 100,000 job cuts if they were elected. The Ontario Liberal government did not mention that they were going to cut jobs in certain unions (OPSEU, CUPE, home care worker unions, hospital worker unions), essentially cutting the same number of jobs or more than the Ontario Conservatives proposed.

It is interesting that the Ontario Liberal government's record on ORNGE fiasco, gas plant, shredding documents and e-mails have been "forgotten". All that money wasted and they won the election.
    *sigh*

BTW, didn't like the major parties for the last election
    It is also objectionable that the Deputy Minister of Education at the time, one of the people who was involved in the new curriculum, has now been criminally charged with offenses against children. The curriculum should be revisited because it of this.

Also forgot about the Ontario Liberal government deleting emails that were needed for a criminal investigation and are still being investigated by the OPP and RCMP.

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    25 (100%)

Madchives, that must have been very difficult for you as a young girl, society has come a long way, but we have way further to go towards acceptance. I can understand how having information as a young girl would have helped you a lot and made you feel normal if same sex relations were at least acknowledged.
    Last edited by thriftygranny; Thu, Mar 12th, 2015 at 12:50 PM.
    Anna Michele likes this.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information