User Tag List

Like Tree6Likes
  • 1 Post By oscarandme
  • 1 Post By bargain_hunter_lola
  • 2 Post By Durham Couponer
  • 1 Post By terry2144
  • 1 Post By oscarandme

Thread: What is the mark-up at Pawn Shops?

Trading Score
    58 (100%)

Good day fellow members!

I need your advice please! My husband loves Pawn shops and loves to stop-in and see what they have. I don't like the feeling when you do walk-in those stores, it is sad to me..hubby loves them, we were on our way somewhere and he wanted to stop into "this" one and I said okay but if it's too sad, seeing people sell their things out of despair,I'm outa-here. So it was a little shady, I stuck it out, and was looking at the jewelry and I watch those supernatural shows, I love those, always afraid of past emotions that come with jewelry, my older sister believed in that too. Don't ask..So anyways I look up on the wall and see these BEEUUUTIFUL BLACK JACKIE-O LOOKING GLASSES and they are calling my name...over here Oscarandme, over-here, PSSST, over here...So I nudge my husband and say okay those are nice, wonder how they look on me and how much they are..so he asks for help and I try them on and they are awesome looking, I love glasses but I find as I get older my face has changed and find it difficult to find what I like.. so not in the best light of course..they still look good, they have flower on the side, and slightly worn and then I see VERSACE..I think I ooooouuuhhh, designer, and look at that little dangly price, and have no idea, what to expect...it said 90.00, I thought wow, this is not happening, so right away the guy says I'll sell it to you for 45.00. Hugh, I just tried them on, looked at the tag, and a rolling of the eyes from both of us that I thought was inconspicuous..so I told my husband, I have never paid that for glasses and I have tons butnever 45.00 unless prescription.. so we left and they are still there but It had me thinking,how low could I expect to go? what is the mark-up on Pawn shops, we are asavings site and we should be aware of these things, someone has to know about the behind the scenes side of pawn shops. I looked online but not too successful. Hope someone can shed some light and maybe I can spread some shade....(lol)..

Thanks everyone for your help.

Oscarandme and Pawn-Shop hubby.

P.S. my husband explained how people bring stuff in to pawn and waiting times and stuff but just as a consumer, what is a POKER FACE reasonable offer is on items, percentage wise? or whatever the easiest way to explain to me/us.

looking for price and photo, found the flower on versace boots that glasses had:
    View Fullscreen

This thread is currently associated with: N/A
    Last edited by oscarandme; Sat, Mar 7th, 2015 at 04:49 PM.
    Durham Couponer likes this.

Trading Score
    726 (100%)

Is it this one (except in black)?

These say they are $155

Some Versace glasses can run up to $500 or so. The average is probably around $200-$250.

I guess it all depends on how much the pawn shop paid for the glasses but I'm sure they do have quite the mark up (at least 50% if they were willing to drop from $90 to $45).

Not sure how much less you could get them from for real Versace. You could try a low ball offer or just offer your best offer and see what happens. Good luck!
    Last edited by bargain_hunter_lola; Sat, Mar 7th, 2015 at 05:27 PM.

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

No advice on the glasses except that of they make you feel cool, aloof and sexy then who can put a price tag on that? Wait, this is Smart Canucks...

For the jewelry- forgive the nonsense here lol- gemstones can be "cleansed" in various ways to get rid of old energy, if that's what you believe. That's how touchstones and crystals can be reused again and again for meditation and simply for wearing as jewelry. PM me if you have a particular gemstone you like at a pawn shop and I'll look up how to renew it. It's not the jewelry's fault that it has emotional baggage. Consider it like recycling.
    Join the Ajax Coupon Group: https://www.facebook.com/#!/groups/119179048289492/

Use Instacart for free credit towards your order! Earn cash in a flexible part time job! Referral code KRISTAJ961A3 https://shoppers.instacart.com/?refe...upply_referral

Trading Score
    2 (100%)

Pawn shops...could be good..could be bad. I was desperate as a young single mom about 20 plus years ago. I've not been in a pawn shop since. Again...in trouble so I took my portable stereo and cds in. I had paid about 450 for the stereo a year or less earlier and brought in about 20 cds which had value back then. I think they gave me about 50 bucks, luckily I was able to buy my stuff back in the 30 days. I know someone who is a guitar player and collector. He bought a les paul guitar after alot of research. It wasn't until he wanted some work done on it and they took it apart to discover it was a fake. Even the guy doing the work was shocked. Still a decent guitar but,,,Buyer beware. I would love a pair of ray bans, I'd probably chance it for 45 bucks.
    oscarandme likes this.

Trading Score
    58 (100%)

Oh Durham Couponer, that is true. I believe in that too, with my luck I would do something wrong and strengthen the bad juju...Yikes...I saw some beautiful old fashioned drop RUBY/princess cut earring surrounded by little diamonds and thought oh the history behind those (in a good way) and I thought I would give them a good home too but..the juju thing... Maybe a better deal than the glasses as an investment.

Thank you for sharing and offering the cleansing too. I might just take you up on that. Thanks again..

Quote Originally Posted by Durham Couponer View Post
    No advice on the glasses except that of they make you feel cool, aloof and sexy then who can put a price tag on that? Wait, this is Smart Canucks...

For the jewelry- forgive the nonsense here lol- gemstones can be "cleansed" in various ways to get rid of old energy, if that's what you believe. That's how touchstones and crystals can be reused again and again for meditation and simply for wearing as jewelry. PM me if you have a particular gemstone you like at a pawn shop and I'll look up how to renew it. It's not the jewelry's fault that it has emotional baggage. Consider it like recycling.

Trading Score
    58 (100%)

Oh terry2144, so glad you were able to get your things back in time. That is the side that makes me sad and I know thank goodness they are there in a way to help-out. I just wish we had an upper hand too. Bargaining would help us as couponers too.

I am truly sorry your friend was misled, still got a great guitar but disapointed, thank goodness it wasn't more than that but 45.00 can also feel like much more when that is all you have. Buyer beware indeed. Thank you for sharing.

Quote Originally Posted by terry2144 View Post
    Pawn shops...could be good..could be bad. I was desperate as a young single mom about 20 plus years ago. I've not been in a pawn shop since. Again...in trouble so I took my portable stereo and cds in. I had paid about 450 for the stereo a year or less earlier and brought in about 20 cds which had value back then. I think they gave me about 50 bucks, luckily I was able to buy my stuff back in the 30 days. I know someone who is a guitar player and collector. He bought a les paul guitar after alot of research. It wasn't until he wanted some work done on it and they took it apart to discover it was a fake. Even the guy doing the work was shocked. Still a decent guitar but,,,Buyer beware. I would love a pair of ray bans, I'd probably chance it for 45 bucks.

Trading Score
    3 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by oscarandme View Post
    Oh terry2144, so glad you were able to get your things back in time. That is the side that makes me sad and I know thank goodness they are there in a way to help-out. I just wish we had an upper hand too. Bargaining would help us as couponers too.

I am truly sorry your friend was misled, still got a great guitar but disapointed, thank goodness it wasn't more than that but 45.00 can also feel like much more when that is all you have. Buyer beware indeed. Thank you for sharing.
    You can cleanse jewelry of negative energy by burying it in salt for a couple of days, or salt water, or in dirt from your yard...I'd place the dirt in a clean bowl (crystal would be excellent) in the house so you can find it again...
    I'm with you on this.....and would absolutely cease anything I'd buy.
    Last edited by Lynn49; Sat, Mar 21st, 2015 at 12:01 PM.

Thread Information