Like Tree25Likes
  • 2 Post By equilibrium
  • 2 Post By Shwa Girl
  • 3 Post By equilibrium
  • 4 Post By bargain_hunter_lola
  • 7 Post By jasperandchar
  • 4 Post By GoddessDigi
  • 3 Post By Midnightly

Thread: If you had been given $2000-what would you buy/stock up on?

CaNewbie
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

I'm asking as we might be given $2000 out of a very tiny tiny inheritance.

We don't coupon much as I have trouble organizing, etc (exec functioning) and also big family. We live paycheck to paycheck, and been very hard to buy groceries this year. We have had to use help from other sources

If you were given $2000 what would you do with it? (Not pay off debt, fix car, etc-specifically curious about purchased items).

I know a portion would be near shoes, and boots and coats for all my kids. Holes in their shoes, and would love to buy them a nice pair of shoes.

I anticipate still financial difficulties as I am disabled and am not able to work (plus four children).

I am thinking TP would be a nice priority.

What would YOU buy?
    This thread is currently associated with: N/A

Trading Score
    7 (100%)

I see you are new to the forum
    Welcome to smart canucks

CaNewbie
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

Thank you. I joined a few years ago but mostly read threads but thought it would be nice to participate and ask questions

Trading Score
    726 (100%)

Given the circumstances that you wrote in your OP, I personally would try to maximize the $2000 as much as I could. If you cannot coupon, what about other incentives (PC points, SDM points, cash back programs, etc)?

If you're interested in couponing at all, please PM me and I will send you a small starter envelope of coupons. Hopefully it'll help out a bit.

Welcome to SC!

Edit to add items to stock up on:

-toilet paper
    -toothbrushes
    -tooth paste
    -deodorant
    -shampoo/conditioner
    -bar soap
    -laundry soap
    -canned soap
    -cereal
    -pasta
    -rice
    -peanut butter
    -canned beans
    -canned veggies
    -powered milk (I personally dont buy this but if you don't mind it, it lasts a long time)
    Last edited by bargain_hunter_lola; Wed, Apr 8th, 2015 at 06:38 PM.

Trading Score
    288 (100%)

Firstly I would purchase the coats 2nd hand as for shoes depending on your kids ages (no need to answer) I wouldn`t necessarily purchase expensive ones (that`s just me).

We all have our staples but it also depends on what type of foods you eat, if you cook from scratch and bake from scratch then I would stock up on
    flour, baking soda, choc. chips, yeasts, raisins etc.

If I were given $2k for food purchases I would buy the following -
    flour (I use a lot of flour because I bake from scratch)
    choc. chips
    nuts for baking
    canned veggies (long shelf life)
    chili beans (we make a lot of chili)
    chick peas (love chick peas)
    pasta
    cereals (oatmeal and other cereals you eat)
    spices (can be expensive)

meats (whatever kinds you eat) and stock up on sales
    laundry detergent
    toilet paper

For fun I would make a list of items that you use over the course of a 2 week period to track and see what you use most often and stock up on those.

I would suggest perhaps purchasing gift cards for the grocery stores etc you shop at in $25 or $50 amounts
    2019 is the year that we continue to save before we buy!!!

Trading Score
    42 (100%)

I want to agree with Jasper, and say go second-hand.
    My kids mostly wear clothes from Talize/Value Village/Salvation Army Thrift Store, and they have decent sized wardrobes both here AND at grandma's house (we stay over on weekends/holidays/school-breaks, and I never have to tote stuff between the houses, outside of shoes, or maybe special occasion outfits).
    Have everyone go through what they don't use, and donate (Talize gives $5 coupons, and Value Village 30% coupons for donations), and then...have fun!

Trading Score
    70 (100%)

i would personally just put it in the bank to give yourself some breathing room.. use it to allow yourself some security (it's suggested to have 6 months worth of expenses saved up yet most people don't because its hard to do! especially if your on a limited budget) maybe pick up the few things you need budget versions (don't go buy a new fancy coat get what you would normally get, same with shoes.. let the money stretch) i know it doesn't sound like the "fun" way to go.. but i am an ever practical person and want to get the best bang for the buck

we have had a similar situation happen to us..where we did get a smaller unexpected financial perk and pretty much that's what we did..
    When life hands you Edward Cullen...throw him back and demand Eric Northman....

CaToonie
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

Facebook or Copy Warren Buffets portfolio

Canadian Guru
    Trading Score
    159 (100%)

If your kids have holes in their shoes, they will probably need new ones for the winter (no one wants snow in shoes). I would replace those first, but wouldn't buy expensive ones. Kids feet grow before they wear out their shoes (this is what happened to me growing up. So many newish pairs of shoes because my feet grew to be huge). As for food, don't spend it all at once. Stock up on things bit by bit when you see them go on sale.

If you don't coupon much you should try the rebate apps Checkout 51, Snap by Groupon and Zweet. They make couponing very easy. I believe I've received $300 back from them in the last 2 years. They're really helpful for soap, toiletpaper and frozen pizzas. If you combine with coupons you can get cleaning supplies for less than $1 or free. You should also check the Mail in Rebates thread for great freebies like Finish dish detergent, Air Wick air freshener, resolve laundry stain remover http://forum.smartcanucks.ca/104615-...ebates-canada/
    Apply every possible promo code to your cart, at every store that you visit (and get points for cash back on top of that?). It's sweet and easy with HONEY.

Always use Ebates and get cash back at over 600 online stores! Use this link to get $5, FREE

Thread Information