User Tag List

Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 ... LastLast
    Trading Score
    6 (100%)

I always have this question on mind in many situations and I'd love to get an idea of how much others tip.

how much do you tip delivery guys?
    how much do you tip at restaurants?
    how much do you tip at hotel restaurants?

do you tip anyone else?
    This thread is currently associated with: N/A

Julie Andrews
    Well, for pizza delivery we tip about 10% but we round up so we don't have to do too much math in our heads.

I don't really eat out at restaurants, so I have no clue how much would be expected in that situation.

Trading Score
    0 (0%)

I usually tip around 10 % unless the service was really great then I go up to 20%. I even tip at Timmy's.

Trading Score
    1 (100%)

I think it's about 10% for us also.
    We don't order out often or go somewhere to eat.

My favorite thing to do is to tip someone that is least expecting it. Like the gas lady. Or the store clerk.
    I'll give them a toonie and say, "buy yourself a pop".
    That of course is only if they are good at customer service. And there are a lot that are fantastic and don't get any credit.

jimmycanuck
    If you've ever worked in a tip dependent job, you tend to tip pretty well when it's deserved.

In restaurants, the generally accepted amount has moved up to 20% in recent years. If I get good service, I usually tip between 20 and 25%.

When it comes to the delivery guy, 10% is appropriate, but you really shouldn't tip less than $3.00 no matter what your total is. I've spent a good chunk of my life as a food delivery guy, so I know how rough it can be. People have a lot of misconceptions about what delivery people get paid, so let me push through the rumours and give you the cold hard facts;

- Delivery people are responsible for all of their expenses. They provide the car, the gas, and the repairs. Restaurants don't reimburse for anything. Gas is the real killer. Depending on the size of the delivery area and the amount a driver is paid, sometimes more than half of what they earn before tips goes to gas.
    - Delivery people aren't employees of the restaurant - they're contractors. Even if they work exclusively for one place and wear a uniform, they're not employees. That means they're no entitled to minimum wage, breaks, etc.
    - For the most part, delivery people are paid per delivery, and it's usually a small amount. The most I was ever paid was $3 a delivery.
    - Delivery people drive every night of the week, not just when it's busy. Do they make great money on Friday and Saturday night? Sometimes, sure. But what about Monday? Or Wednesday? There were some nights when I was delivering for names as big as KFC and Pizza Hut when, I kid you not, there were zero deliveries. That means I had to sit their for six hours like a schmuck and not make a dime.

I'm not complaining here - if I didn't like it that much, I could have quit. For the most part, delivery is a great job. Lots of fun, lots of freedom - in most ways it's really ideal. That being said, I'd say one in three people don't think they need to tip a delivery guy. Hopefully this post will turn some of those people around.

bcteagirl
    Wow.... good to know thank you.

Trading Score
    6 (100%)

Thanks for the info Jim

I can imagine how delivering pizza when it's -20 degrees outside isn't the best job in the world. But I'd guess that some people pay low tips to delivery people in particular coz the delivery wasn't free in the first place (unlike restaurants where you usually don't get charged for service).

I have another question: do the same rules apply to hotel restaurants? People spend a lot of money there and I think that a 25% tip is a bit too much in that case.

Boo Radley Conspirator roseofblack25's Avatar
    Trading Score
    4 (100%)

wow i dont know any of this stuff

jimmycanuck
    Quote Originally Posted by Boo Radley View Post
    I have another question: do the same rules apply to hotel restaurants? People spend a lot of money there and I think that a 25% tip is a bit too much in that case.
    Again - I'd say it depends on the service. You may be spending a lot to stay in the hotel, but the waiter isn't seeing any of that money. Chances are they're making the "less than minimum wage" wage that most wait staff make. I think when it comes to any situation where you would customarily tip, it's important to remember that the person serving you relies on them for a living. That being said, I also think you should never tip for poor service. After all, if they need their tips to live, they'd better be trying to earn them. If not they're in the wrong line of work.

Trading Score
    1 (100%)

Thx Jimmy for the "tips"

Seriously... it's good info to have. I do tip the delivery guys everytime.
    I had no idea the sevarity of it. Thx for letting us know that.

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

I generally tip 10% at restaurants provided that I received good service.

Trading Score
    0 (0%)

10% 15%??
    should it depend on where u are going?

CaToonie
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

I look at the tax charges, and then tip that, rounded up to the dollar.

But.. I don't tip at fast food stops like McDo's......However, I DO tip at Tim's.

cndlady
    I tip between 10-20% it really depends on service.
    I do tip everywhere though so sometimes it it a bigger %
    I stop and grab a coffee every morning on the way to work and tip the girl a dollar for a $1.5 coffee as she has it poured and ready for me as I walk in the door..she sees me pull up and gets the coffee ready

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

I know we talked about this reciently... but I can't find it when I do a search...and then I went through.. line by line.. about 7 pages of posts....

was it under a different topic that tips were talked about?

Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread Information