User Tag List

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Ciel

Thread: Why did this happen?

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    162 (100%)

My dd and her friend moved into a basement suite about 5 weeks ago.

Yesterday while my dd was showering the bathtub suddenly stopped draining. The toilet made a gurgling sound at the same time. When she got out of the tub there was water all over the floor. It was coming from where the toilet is attached to the floor.

The landlady told her that the plumber said it was due to wipes being flushed. The thing is 1) dd doesn't use wipes 2)room mate does but bins them 3)even if a friend flushed a few it wouldn't have been that many because not that many friends have had that opportunity to need to take make up off in the past 5 weeks 4) the toilet isn't sealed.

Oh the landlady hasn't presented a bill from the plumber but she wants $100 in cash from the girls.

Btw the girls weren't there to see if a plumber actually came.
    This thread is currently associated with: N/A
    Zoombucks are back: Please consider using my link to sign up again: https://zoombucks.com/?ref=IIHO0L

Trading Score
    12 (100%)

The toilet and drain hookup might have a plumbing issue in terms of how they were connected or vented. If the toilet bowl's seal broke. what a time for it to do so.

Wax seals cost this much at Home Depot and they can break or fail i.e. leak:
    http://www.homedepot.ca/webapp/wcs/s...partial&s=true

I would not recommend the girls give cash. Instead they can give a cheque when asking for a receipt so there's a trail-cash hides things and maybe landlord is not claiming rental income? It could be that the landlord might have called a handy friend instead of an actual plumber. There are reasons that licensed trades cost so much per hour then they they have to pay the mandatory College of Trades annual fee to just to be able to work in their field.

I was in a friend's rental recently and noticed a gurgling sound (no water came up) from the small bathroom sink when I flushed the toilet. That tells me that there could be a venting or inadequate venting issue and this was on a second floor.
    Last edited by Ciel; Wed, Jun 10th, 2015 at 01:03 PM.
    momof3heathens likes this.
    2021-Bring on the sunshine, sweets & online shopping.

Thread Information