User Tag List

Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By SassyAshley
  • 1 Post By Buddyboy546

Thread: Canadian Stores vs US Stores - Policy Differences

Trading Score
    0 (0%)

I am interested in views about how Canadian stores stack up against their same company stores in the US. Target in Canada obviously didn't stack up well against Target US and failed completely. What about other stores though, such as WalMart? Here in Canada we have come to expect that we will not get the same sharp deals available in the US because of the exchange rate, bilingualism and its related costs, one tenth the population over a vastly larger country. Obviously things will cost more here but how do other things compare?

Some years ago I was vacationing in the US and bought English muffins at the local WalMart store for $2. I took them back when I found mold on them and was surprised to be given $4 back. The manager explained it was WalMart's policy to rebate twice the cost to a customer who has to return poor food. Wow, I thought, and decided to see if WalMart Canada did the same. They did not. Here we just get our money back. My conclusion is that WalMart viewed Canadian customers as less valued than in the US. (I do not know if they still have the same refund policy in the US today but it makes the point.)

Do you know of other such store policy discrepancies? I know I find service generally better in the US. Perhaps that's because their employment is less secure with a poorer social safety net so people there are in more fear of job loss.
    This thread is currently associated with: Target, Walmart

Trading Score
    7 (100%)

In one US grocery store, if there is a big line up, they open a new cash register right away.
    In my experience here, you could wait a long time. They may not have extra staff to take care of the long line up.

Trading Score
    7 (100%)

Bilingualism is in the States too. Many signs and commercials on TV are in Spanish.

Must Coupon, Must Save :) SassyAshley's Avatar
    Trading Score
    64 (100%)

I also think you need to look at the fact that in the US there is a lot more competition for these stores. Quite a few years ago when I was in Florida on vacation you noticed there is a grocery store on every block and these stores are fighting for your business where is I do not think we have this in Canada. Look at Loblaws, they have Loblaws, RCSS, Zehrs, Valu-Mart, Independent and No Frills, these stores are not competing with each other because no matter store you shop in Loblaws gets your business. The same can be said for most other grocery chains they own multiple stores under their banner. We just do not have the same competition.
    Buddyboy546 likes this.

Trading Score
    0 (0%)

Quote Originally Posted by SassyAshley View Post
    We just do not have the same competition.
    I think you hit the nail on the head as a general comment. However, the setting of store policies is different. That is head office deciding to treat their customers differently according to location so I am still interested in those types of differences. Good point though, Ashley.
    SassyAshley likes this.

CaNewbie
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

It's mainly because of the loose employment standards in the US. They can also manipulate part time workers more to keep shifts competative and desireable for employees

Thread Information