User Tag List

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
Like Tree27Likes

Thread: Which great Canadian women deserve to be on our currency?

Sith Lady and Cool Kid Darth Penguin's Avatar
    Trading Score
    20 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by electric_viking View Post
    I can understand why the UK would want to add other faces to their currency. I believe it's just the queen right now.
    In Canada, we have chosen other historical figures to also be represented on our currency. Not that I have anything against famous women but who gets the boot?
    I think it's important to have the queen remain on the $20.00 (and the backs of coins). We need to keep that tie to the monarchy.
    In short, I concur with Jays, keep the currency as it is.

For the UK, the queen is only on the obverse, the reverse for notes has been another person for many years.
    electric_viking likes this.

Short answer : no Long answer : NOOOOOOOOOOO!

Welcome to the Penguinocracy..One Penguin, One vote..I am The Penguin..I have the One Vote

Trading Score
    0 (0%)

Thanks pingu
    Darth Penguin likes this.
    I can't profess to understand God's plan. Christ promised the resurrection of the dead. I just thought he had something a little different in mind.

Trading Score
    29 (100%)

$10 bill featuring Canadian civil rights icon Viola Desmond unveiled

Viola Desmond‘s trailblazing act of defiance – overlooked for decades by most Canadians – was honoured Thursday in a Halifax ceremony that cements her status as a civil rights icon.
    A new $10 bill featuring Desmond was unveiled by Finance Minister Bill Morneau and Bank of Canada Governor Stephen Poloz.

The bill marks a growing recognition of Desmond’s refusal to leave the whites-only section of a Nova Scotia movie theatre on Nov. 8, 1946 – nearly a decade before Rosa Parks refused to give up her seat on a segregated bus in Alabama – and the seminal role it played in Canada’s civil rights movement.

Wanda Robson, right, sister of Viola Desmond, admires a $10 banknote while standing alongside Finance Minister Bill Morneau

Desmond's sister, Wanda Robson, who was given the honour of formally revealing the design of Canada's new $10 bill, pulling a black cloth off a blown-up image of the banknote before being handed a wallet-sized version.
    "Is this mine?" she asked Morneau, who then offered to hold it for her, prompting the 91-year-old to joke: "You're not getting it."
    "I say thank you, thank you, thank you," said Robson. "Our family will go down in history — in history, imagine that."

"I want to start by saying that you need to know that this note is not yet in circulation until the end of the year, but Wanda is keeping hers," Morneau said, smiling. "It tells you about the balance of power in this country."
    The bill also features an image of Winnipeg's Canadian Museum of Human Rights, as well as part of the Charter of Rights and Freedoms. It should be in circulation by late 2018.

https://globalnews.ca/news/4070025/1...mond-unveiled/

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/nova-s...iled-1.4567290
    Darth Penguin likes this.

Trading Score
    29 (100%)

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread Information