User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree27Likes

Thread: Which great Canadian women deserve to be on our currency?

Trading Score
    0 (0%)

cross country checkup's topic today,
    Sunday April 10, 2016

Which great Canadian women deserve to be on our currency?

Beginning in 2017, Jane Austen will appear on the £10 note in the United Kingdom. It came after a campaign to keep women represented on banknotes. After International Women's Day in 2016, the Bank of Canada launched an initiative to place a notable Canadian woman on the currency. (AP)

Checkup guest host Marni Soupcoff (CCF)

The Bank of Canada is seeking nominations for important women to display on new bank notes. Nominations close April 15. Who would you suggest? Who are the great women in Canadian history whose faces deserve to be on your money?
    Join Marni Soupcoff, Sunday, live simultaneously through six time zones on CBC Radio One, Sirius XM channel 169, and streaming on cbc.ca and on the CBC Radio app.

This thread is currently associated with: N/A
    Last edited by madchives; Sun, Apr 10th, 2016 at 08:25 AM.
    if you have some spare time

Trading Score
    0 (0%)

for those who don't know - cross country checkup radio show, is a live phone in show
    on for 2 hours, no news breaks, and i think it is always interesting as the calls obviously
    are from across our country and occasionally from further
    (am still missing rex murphy as host though)
    Redneck Charger likes this.
    if you have some spare time

no more door to door! :) walkonby's Avatar
    Trading Score
    24 (100%)

thanks for posting madchives!

babies teach us acceptance

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

Three I would suggest would be Nellie McClung, Emily Carr, and Dr. Emily Stowe.

CaToonie
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

laura secord

Banned
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

Without a doubt...I'll say a 'native' woman. It's not the English or French that built this country called Canada. The stupid tradition of having head of states and politicians on currency needs to stop. Anyone with half a brain will agree that a person that does good deeds without benefitting from it across all boundaries, is tolerant of all humans regardless of race is more important than say a 'Donald Trump'-like character who they are superior to others for the mere fact of their colour, class and status.

Lets not kid ourselves, if you ask most people, you are bound to end up with a list full of White women, and it's sad when White women themselves wouldn't want a minority woman for obvious reasons. Many will deny this in public, but deep down it's the truth.
    Last edited by veggies; Wed, Apr 13th, 2016 at 01:18 PM.

Trading Score
    3 (100%)

I'm fine with the currency as it is.

Trading Score
    0 (0%)

I can understand why the UK would want to add other faces to their currency. I believe it's just the queen right now.
    In Canada, we have chosen other historical figures to also be represented on our currency. Not that I have anything against famous women but who gets the boot?
    I think it's important to have the queen remain on the $20.00 (and the backs of coins). We need to keep that tie to the monarchy.
    In short, I concur with Jays, keep the currency as it is.
    I can't profess to understand God's plan. Christ promised the resurrection of the dead. I just thought he had something a little different in mind.

Banned
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

Now here is a crazy idea....how about introducing a lease system i.e. so called "historical figures" and famous people who have done something that has impacted the country in a positive way rather than enrich their own pockets, where a person stays on the currency for 5 - 10yrs, and then they get replaced by someone else???????

Banned
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

That way we get to maximize the amount of people on the currency, and the faces have to be representative of people living in Canada....does anybody have a problem with this?????

Trading Score
    29 (100%)

OTTAWA - The Bank of Canada says it now has a list of a dozen women who could be featured on a new banknote.

The list, selected by an advisory council from public submissions, includes artists Emily Carr and Pitseolak Ashoona and authors Lucy Maud Montgomery, Pauline Johnson and Gabrielle Roy.

Also included are pioneering feminists Nellie McClung, Idola Saint-Jean and Therese Casgrain.

The list is rounded out with humanitarian Lotta Hitschmanova, aircraft designer Elsie MacGill, Olympian Bobbie Rosenfeld and pioneering businesswomen Viola Desmond.

The Bank says it received more than 26,000 submissions nominating more than 460 women.
    A poll will be commissioned to gauge the views of the public on the list. Then, the advisory council and experts will pare it down to three to five finalists for a selection by Finance Minister Bill Morneau.

Canadian Genius
    Trading Score
    51 (100%)

Nellie McClung, because she fought to have women recognized as persons. How much more basic goes it get than that?

Trading Score
    29 (100%)

Bank of Canada announces short list of Canadian women vying to be on banknote

On its website, the bank says an independent committee has narrowed down the finalists to poet E. Pauline Johnson; black rights activist Viola Desmond from Nova Scotia; Elsie MacGill, who received an electrical engineering degree from the University of Toronto in 1927; Quebec suffragette Idola Saint-Jean; and 1928 Olympic medallist Fanny Rosenfeld, a track and field athlete.

The Bank of Canada will announce the winner on Dec. 8.

https://ca.finance.yahoo.com/news/ba...160726089.html

Very odd that not included were Emily Carr or Nellie McClung - the latter was first choice amongst public voting.

Of their choices, I'd go with Pauline Johnson

http://www.thecanadianencyclopedia.c...uline-johnson/

Trading Score
    29 (100%)

Black rights activist Viola Desmond to be 1st Canadian woman on $10 bill

Black rights activist Viola Desmond, who was jailed for defiantly sitting in the "whites only" section of a Nova Scotia film house, will be the first Canadian woman to be featured on the country's $10 bill.

Finance Minister Bill Morneau and Bank of Canada governor Stephen Poloz announced the selection of the groundbreaking beautician and businesswoman during an announcement today at the Canadian Museum of History in Gatineau, Que.

Desmond's image will replace that of Sir John A. Macdonald, Canada's first prime minister, on the purple banknote beginning in 2018.

Desmond is often referred to as "Canada's Rosa Parks," though her historic act of defiance occurred nine years before Parks famously refused to give up her seat on a bus in Montgomery, Ala.

more info on her story

http://www.cbc.ca/news/politics/cana...oman-1.3885844
    Poirot and Darth Penguin like this.

Trading Score
    3 (100%)

I'm happy with that choice....good for them for arriving at that decision.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information